General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

TPMS light

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 09:31 AM
TPMS light

I got my 2010 Fit back in July. Unfortunately on Saturday morning I hit something on highway that speared the back drivers side tire. We replaced tire with spare. I called all around and NOBODY had a replacement tire in stock. Not even the closest Honda dealer! So I had to order one and it comes in tomorrow

I have the spare on still but the TPMS light is on. Is that because the spare is on? I have tried calling Honda and the Honda dealer and of course everyone is off today

I was planning on taking back roads to work tomorrow then on way home picking up my new tire. My concern is that the light is on and I dont want to do any damage to the car

Please...anyone? Can you shed some light on this for me

Thanks in advance!

Barra

Old 09-06-2010, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by sarmcl
Is that because the spare is on?
It's in the owners manual.
On vehicles with the TPMS system, the low tire pressure indicator comes on and stays on after you replace the flat tire with the compact spare tire. After several miles (kilometers) driving with the compact spare tire, the TPMS indicator comes on and the low tire pressure indicator goe soff.
There's no sensor in the spare, so of course the warning will activate. To be on the safe side, you could check all the tire pressures.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:56 AM
I swear I looked in the manual but apparently not well enough! Thank you! I will double check the pressure in other tires too.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
If something speared your tire that caused you to have to replace it with the spare, then there is evidently little to no pressure in the damaged tire. That's why the warning came on. The sensor in that wheel is triggering it.

Like Malraux suggested, double-check the other tires. If they're fine, ignore it. You won't damage anything by driving with the TPMS light on. I recently had a new set of rims installed, which came from Honda with TPMS sensors. The tires shop that installed them for me couldn't get the TPMS system to reset, and neither could I with my own tool. I drove it with the light flashing for weeks before donating $50 to Honda.

TPMS is a royal pain in the way that Honda implemented it. It's the only thing I could fault them on.