General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Is Downshifting Necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Is Downshifting Necessary?

In approaching a traffic light in my 2010 Fit, it seems that I can slow to near a full stop in gears 2-4 and then resume speed if the light changes. Is it really necessary to downshift unless I come to a full stop?

Old 09-01-2010, 02:09 PM
If you can do it without lugging the engine, then no you don't HAVE to go into First gear. Just be aware that routinely lugging your engine at low speeds in a higher gear isn't the best thing for it. Starting from a dead stop in second will also wear out your clutch that much faster.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:33 PM
I'm sorry but I don't mean to hijack the OP's thread. How about putting the Fit in neutral while going downhill and then putting it back in gear when I reach the flat surface? Is this bad?

Old 09-01-2010, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
No it is really not necessary to downshift when coming to a stop. When I had my Toyota Corolla MT, I used to put car in neutral and apply brake and come to a gradual stop.
I heard on the Car Guys years ago (NPR radio if anyone listens) that it depends on what part you wish to last longer- they suggest using brakes and stopping car. Personally I'd rather replace the brakes over a clutch.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Not bad, but it really won't save you much unless you are an OCD hypermiler. The ECU has a fuel cutoff that takes effect when the throttle stays closed for a set period of time. The ECO forum would be good place to visit for more info about that.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:45 PM
Coasting in Neutral for long distances is a no no!

I'm new to stick shifts, but most everything I've read or heard discourages coasting for long didtances in neutral (in case you need power to steer around unexpected traffic/obstacles).

Old 09-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Yes, I think the Car Talk guys recommended leaving it in whatever gear you were in, then when you were down to about 15mph shifting into 2nd in case you had to resume speed, then to neutral if you had to come to a full stop.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
just stall out

Old 09-01-2010, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
^lol

I usually just leave it in the gear I'm in till I'm slowed right down then either switch to neutral if I know I'll be stopping or put it in the appropriate gear if I need to resume acceleration.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sooznd
No it is really not necessary to downshift when coming to a stop. When I had my Toyota Corolla MT, I used to put car in neutral and apply brake and come to a gradual stop.
I heard on the Car Guys years ago (NPR radio if anyone listens) that it depends on what part you wish to last longer- they suggest using brakes and stopping car. Personally I'd rather replace the brakes over a clutch.
Clutchless downshift with rev match is the way to go to engine brake and save all the machanic, but it's almost impossible to do it perfectly all the time, especially with the sluggish throttle by wire.

But to press the gas to the floor in 4th at 1000rpm won't save any gas compared to lightly press on the gas at 3000rpm in 2nd, so I prefere to downshift and be at least at 2000rpm (but at low speeds 1500 or so is still fine).

Originally Posted by jeff_1986
^lol

I usually just leave it in the gear I'm in till I'm slowed right down then either switch to neutral if I know I'll be stopping or put it in the appropriate gear if I need to resume acceleration.
That's the way everyone who's driving normally take I think..

Last edited by broody; 09-01-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i down shift all the time when slowing the car down. especially on a car like the fit, light weight, weak engine, and a/c overburdening the engine load, engine braking is very effective in slowing the car down. it's almost a waste not to use it.

rev match and downshift.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
i down shift all the time when slowing the car down. especially on a car like the fit, light weight, weak engine, and a/c overburdening the engine load, engine braking is very effective in slowing the car down. it's almost a waste not to use it.

rev match and downshift.
^^AGREE^^
I've always used the gears when slowing the car coming to a planned stop. It's become a habit. Be sensible and watch the revs, nothing wrong with it at all. Historically I've never replaced a clutch and my brake wear has always been minimal to my mileage on all my rides.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by sooznd
Exactly what he said. Everytime I think about downshifting unnecessarily coming to a stop, I think to myself "Would I rather do a brake job or a clutch job?"

Old 09-02-2010, 11:11 PM
its a bit of a silly question because theres no binary answer

sometimes i downshift every gear down, sometimes i skip gears down, sometimes i straight-shift, sometimes i double-declutch, sometimes i just coast in neutral.

it depends on traffic condition, off a ramp or going to a stop, going straight or turning, the anticipated speed, whether the yankees or red sox won their last matchup, alignment of the moon and stars, and my general mood

Old 09-02-2010, 11:33 PM
Drive it up and drive it down. It's all about driving.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:38 PM
I got into habit now of putting it into gear because of what I read here and thought that I would try it. Now I guess I will go back to what I was doing, putting the shifter into neutral on downhills and when coming to a stop. I mean to say I did use that technique for years now and so far I have not experience any bad thing about it aside from worn out brake pads.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:50 PM
You just have to be smart with it. I downshift pretty much all the time, but you have to be smart about it. If you do it smoothly, don't over-rev the engine on your downshifts etc it's all good. I also let my car out of gear all the time as I'm slowing and have time/space to slow by momentum then downshift to an appropriate gear slowing down gradually. I'm not going to coast if I don't know what's coming, or could get into a situation where sudden power is needed. And for the most part, you can get it into gear pretty quick as long as you're paying attention.

Manuals are great for driving, but like everything you have to use your head and the mechanical benefit a manual provides. For me this is why I buy MT's.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by screwdgie
Exactly what he said. Everytime I think about downshifting unnecessarily coming to a stop, I think to myself "Would I rather do a brake job or a clutch job?"
For a red light I usually don't downshift, but since I pass my stop signs in 2nd usually I double clutch to revmatch and downshift in 2. However 50-60% of my driving is on the cars from my work (yaris and echo hatchback) so I don't give a shit, and the echo is so much fun to drive and to play with the stick it's hard not to do it (the yaris are so cheap the syncro of the 2nd get worn after not even 50k miles).

Old 09-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by broody
For a red light I usually don't downshift, but since I pass my stop signs in 2nd usually I double clutch to revmatch and downshift in 2. However 50-60% of my driving is on the cars from my work (yaris and echo hatchback) so I don't give a shit, and the echo is so much fun to drive and to play with the stick it's hard not to do it (the yaris are so cheap the syncro of the 2nd get worn after not even 50k miles).
I like those Yaris Hatchback's. I've seen a modified Yaris. Visually it has 17" wheels, lowering springs, and exhuast. That thing looks good and it is the two door version. I'm guessing that the 4 door version will look better when modified.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:55 AM
broody - rolling stop signs in 2nd gear is called a 'Texas Stop' in my small world - not sure why??

My daughters BF once told me that Maine has a law that says you only need to come to a complete stop when the sign has no white border around it_LOL!

Didn't realize you guys had similar habits....

Quick Reply: Is Downshifting Necessary?