General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Music Link accessory questions/ Aux Jack

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 01:45 PM
Music Link accessory questions/ Aux Jack

Hello! Very happy to find this forum. I have a new storm silver Sport on order and am curious about the Music Link accessory. I've done some research and looked at older threads where there have been some mixed reviews about the functionality of the iPod link accessory which is installed in the glove box. I've ordered the Music Link but am having second thoughts about it. I don't mind controlling the iPOD from itself.

-To those of you who are able to use it successfully, do you notice any difference in sound quality, operation, etc...as opposed to running the iPOD straight into the Aux jack under the radio? I also want to make sure that the iPOD will indeed work fine using a 1/8 mini plug from it into the Aux input.

-Is the "folder" button on the 200 watt stereo meant specifically for the iPOD accessory?

-When the Music Link accessory is installed, does it interfere at all with the ability to use the Aux jack for another component?

-One more question- Has anyone tried running a portable XM receiver through the Aux input yet and gotten good results?

Thanks for your time.

Old 06-05-2006, 09:06 PM
If you're willing to spend the money to connect your ipod to your fit, I'd seriously consider the Harman Kardon Drive + Play. I just bought one yesterday and love it. (thread: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-interior-modifications/5870-harman-kardon-drive-play.html)
More details and pics to come when I actually get it fully installed and seamlessly integrated into my dash. The sound quality is great, much better (to my untrained ear) than just using the aux in connection with a mini plug from the headphone jack.

Last edited by Wildsprite; 06-07-2006 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:44 AM
I have xm through the Aux and have no problem with the sound.

I do notice though using the Aux that you have to turn the volume up a little bit more, but other than that, no problems.

Old 06-06-2006, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
I also want to make sure that the iPOD will indeed work fine using a 1/8 mini plug from it into the Aux input.

-Is the "folder" button on the 200 watt stereo meant specifically for the iPOD accessory?
iPod works fine in the Aux port.

The folder button is for changing folders on a MP3 CD. You can have folders up to 8 levels deep.

Here's what I have:
- iPod photo, 30GB.
- iJet (remote control for iPod, got at Radio Shack for $20.) Gives me remote control capabilities - volume, play, pause, forward, backward, fast forward, fast reverse. Best $20 I've ever spent in my life!!!
- 1/8" to 1/8" shielded stereo cable.
- Lighter plug power adapter for my iPod.

I've burned MP3 CD's (about 20 of them. 120-180 songs per disc.) for generic running around music. I hook up my iPod when I'm going to be on the road for a few hours.

Old 06-06-2006, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by Fitties&Beer
Hello! Very happy to find this forum. I have a new storm silver Sport on order and am curious about the Music Link accessory. I've done some research and looked at older threads where there have been some mixed reviews about the functionality of the iPod link accessory which is installed in the glove box. I've ordered the Music Link but am having second thoughts about it. I don't mind controlling the iPOD from itself.

-To those of you who are able to use it successfully, do you notice any difference in sound quality, operation, etc...as opposed to running the iPOD straight into the Aux jack under the radio? I also want to make sure that the iPOD will indeed work fine using a 1/8 mini plug from it into the Aux input.

-When the Music Link accessory is installed, does it interfere at all with the ability to use the Aux jack for another component?

-One more question- Has anyone tried running a portable XM receiver through the Aux input yet and gotten good results?

Thanks for your time.
Music Link does more than connect the ipod, it also keeps it charged. something to think about.
The folder button is for the WMA/ MP3 cd's as well as the ipod. I have sirius satelite going through aux and having no problems

Old 06-06-2006, 05:04 PM
I had read that the musiclink deal for Ipods works, but does NOT display any track information on the stereo's display, nor could it be controlled through the headunit. That might not be totally true, I would rather spend the same amount of money on the aforementioned Harman Kardon unit (http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/default.aspx) and have a display and a control for it.

Old 06-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Do they sell them at BestBuy (I can get a discount), or just online?

Old 06-06-2006, 05:15 PM
Thanks for all of the info and suggestions. Good stuff.

Ah, now the folder thing makes sense. I wasn't sure what its purpose was. I haven't found a salesperson yet at any dealer who could definitively answer these questions.

Old 06-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by Fray Adjacent
I had read that the musiclink deal for Ipods works, but does NOT display any track information on the stereo's display, nor could it be controlled through the headunit. That might not be totally true, I would rather spend the same amount of money on the aforementioned Harman Kardon unit (http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/default.aspx) and have a display and a control for it.

I found a harman kit at bestbuy, and they said it wasnt compatible with the Fit.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:30 PM
I bought the harman kardon kit (Drive and Play) at Best Buy this weekend. I can say from experience that it works marvelously with the Fit, and is currently on sale for $150. For those of us who make many long trips definitely worth the money.
My current dilemma: how to install it without drilling into the dash...

Old 06-07-2006, 11:09 PM
Xm

Originally Posted by IBTG81
I have xm through the Aux and have no problem with the sound.

I do notice though using the Aux that you have to turn the volume up a little bit more, but other than that, no problems.
What did you use to connect your XM receiver with the Aux plug?