General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Taking my Fit to Carmax, anyone ever go there before?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
Wow... the more I read this thread... the worst it gets.

Looking at past posting history...

Buys a Fit... then proceeds to buy THREE more cars. While two of those three were bought for less than a month's rent, more money was sunk into them as "restoration" projects.

Now, a little over two years after buying the Fit, you still owe a fairly large amount on it and say it's too expensive?

I'm no financial expert... not even close. I'm barely keeping myself from going under as it is. And while I have spent some money on "mods" to my Fit (total costs on mods should be just under $1k)... I'm sinking EVERY available dollar into my loan to pay it off as quick as possible, overpaying monthly loan amount.

But the OP started off in worse position than I, and then continued to make it worse than that.

To the OP,

I assume you still have the Mustang? And that you plan on using that once you "get rid" of the Fit?

Of those thousands you say you'll save by no longer paying for the Fit, how much of it will then be sunk into the Mustang? Didn't you learn much from the Accord you junked? An older car is more likely to have repairs, and they won't be minor either.

Or maybe it's the CRX you just bought... and had plan on modding with an trans swap. While the CRX is a Honda, and people have used them to quite high mileage, I'm sure a 1991 CRX has enough mileage to incur enough repair costs also.

While the Fit isn't immune to "troubles" that might need repair, chances are better that you pay less overall with the Fit.

My suggestion... go find yourself a REALLY good financial advisor (if you have a friend that's willing to help, all the better), layout everything you have on the table. From what you own to what you owe. And ask the advisor to get you out of this hole you're in.

If nothing else, stop modding ALL the cars you have. Store or get rid of the "unnecessary" cars, even if one was the Fit. IF you get rid of the Fit, I suggest keeping the CRX and DO NOT continue to put money into mods for it. Pay for repairs as needed and pay off the loan, and then SAVE the money. JUST SAVE IT.

It's a hard task, I know, I promised myself not to mod my car so soon after buying it... yet, I spent almost $1000 in the first few weeks. Luckily, aside from 3 or 4 dollars here and there on maintenance/prevention stuff, I haven't spent since.

BTW, you could've brought your loan down by at least $3500 or more, by not putting money into the other cars and instead dumping them into the loan as early payments. Every dollar over the monthly payment also saves on interest. Think about it... you spent $2000 on just buying the CRX. Well, if you had put it into the loan, your principle would've gone down by $2000 and then the interest on that $2000 would go away. If your interest now was something like 5%, that's more than $100 (since its compounded). Even if you had dumped that $2k in at June (around the time you bought the CRX), you could've paid off your loan some 9 months early (changes depending on your re-fi). Now add to that $2k all you spent on mods that ultimately weren't necessary...

Uhhhh I only have the Fit and my CRX which I paid nothing out of pocket for. And when I bought the Fit I lived with my mother to help her out and didn't have many financial burdens. She killed herself out of the blue which forced me to start paying ALL the bills. Thus now I'm broke and got rid of my other cars and getting rid of the one that I owe money on, and the one I like the least and JUST driving my CRX (which was bought with profit sharing at work).

And FYI, even supporting myself OUT OF BLUE with no notice, unlike most people who move out on their own. AND I've NEVER been late on a car payment, and all of my bills are paid at least two weeks in advance. Also worth noting, I've never missed payments on my credit card AND I have 10% of my paychecks sent to a savings account. So I think you're just making assumptions about me.

Can I afford my cars? Yes. Do I pay all my bills on time? Yes. Do I manage my money correctly? Yes.

It's not a matter of me being able to pay for the Fit, it's wanting to. Maintenance on the CRX has been much less than the Fit considering it's much more freindly to work on and parts are much cheaper considering I don't have to buy everything from a dealer. And the fact that I can get my hands into the engine bay to change things, which can not be said about a Fit.

Oh and I sold the Mustang for what I invested in it, and got more out of selling my Accord than I put into it. FYI. The reason I say I can't afford the Fit is that I plan on moving and want/need to move closer to my job as commuting 30 miles each way isn't really doing much for me anymore and my rent will be more (thus I won't be able to afford the Fit). Getting rid of the Fit + living closer to work = lots more money for me to invest

SOOOOOO back to my original question, thanks for people who described their experiences with Carmax. That's all I wanted to know.

Last edited by Edison Carasio; 08-09-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
^^ Good for you but by the way u said the u were thinking about leting it get repoed should send up red flags. Why not just pay more of it down with the savings you have? Sorry to hear about ur lost. I'm sure u can sell it private party for the right price more than what car max would give you. Let us know how it goes

Old 08-09-2010, 11:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 08fithappy
^^ Good for you but by the way u said the u were thinking about leting it get repoed should send up red flags. Why not just pay more of it down with the savings you have? Sorry to hear about ur lost. I'm sure u can sell it private party for the right price more than what car max would give you. Let us know how it goes
Trying to get rid of it quick, considering all options. The repo thing was more sarcasm, but I forgot that's hard to tell when just reading text. lol And the other savings is very low as I just opened the account (since I had to empty what I had to move out, buy all my own furniture, down payment on my apartment, etc etc) and wouldn't even put a dent in it.

Although I am considering waiting and getting the windshield fixed and door lock fixed before selling as that stuff seems like it took more off my resale than it costs to fix.

And hope I didn't sound like a jerk on my lost post, posting at work and when I post here I just post very quickly and straight forward (and then end up editing stuff for errors/clarity later lol).

Last edited by Edison Carasio; 08-09-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
Naw i think ur good. Good to see you got a good head on ur shoulder and are doing the right thing. Whished i made better choices about 5 years ago i could have around $100k in my bank account but instead i have about $10k. And about $14k in debt. Well i can only make smart choices from here on out

Old 08-09-2010, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Edison Carasio
SOOOOOO back to my original question, thanks for people who described their experiences with Carmax. That's all I wanted to know.
Well, on a discussion forum you'll get as many people questioning the question as you get people answering the question. You sound like you're trying to make the best of your options and I really hope you can find a way to make it work out.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ultrawolf
Well, on a discussion forum you'll get as many people questioning the question as you get people answering the question. You sound like you're trying to make the best of your options and I really hope you can find a way to make it work out.

Thanks! I appreciate everyone at least taking thier time to give me their opinions either way.