General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

scotchgard on seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 10:13 PM
scotchgard on seats

This is the first car in a long time since I had a car with fabric seats. My other cars to this point, including my current Acura RDX, is leather trimmed. I maintain them with Lexol conditioner, and now with the Fit's fabric, I just recently treated it with 3M scotchgard spray. The dealer wanted to get me to purchase their "special" interior fabric treatment, for $700! I am sure their stuff will work, but for the ownership timeframe of the vehicle (~ 5-6 years), it does not make sense, A bottle of the 3M scotchgard costs only $6, and will last you about 3 months, before you might consider retreating. I don't think it will add up to $700 over 5 years.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Hi I'm wondering how the scotchgard on the seats is holding up. I'm also wondering if anyone out there is having success with any other products to protect seats and door fabrics.

Thanks!

Old 04-09-2011, 11:42 AM
I haven't tried it yet but 303 High Tech Fabric Guard is widely reputed to be better than 3M Scotchgard. Try it and let us know.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Redvtec27
Hi I'm wondering how the scotchgard on the seats is holding up. I'm also wondering if anyone out there is having success with any other products to protect seats and door fabrics.

Thanks!
Yes, my "product" is called Paul's car rules:

1) No food allowed inside.
2) Water is the only beverage allowed inside.
3) No animals allowed inside.
4) No kids allowed inside.
5) No drunk friends allowed inside.
6) No smokers allowed inside.
7) Anyone with questionable items will be searched
and said items may be seized.

Except for pissed of friends & family members this works
like a charm.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Paul56
Yes, my "product" is called Paul's car rules:

1) No food allowed inside.
2) Water is the only beverage allowed inside.
3) No animals allowed inside.
4) No kids allowed inside.
5) No drunk friends allowed inside.
6) No smokers allowed inside.
7) Anyone with questionable items will be searched
and said items may be seized.

Except for pissed of friends & family members this works
like a charm.
I second this approach.

The last car I had, her interior was pretty nice* for the first year I had her... until I started dating a guy with a young son. It took no time at all for that car's interior to get COMPLETELY trashed, even when I tried to insist that the kid was not allowed to have any food or drink in the car. He'd sneak stuff in, or when we'd pick the kid up from his mother's, she'd bundle up food for him to eat in the car... instead of sitting him down at her table to eat before we'd got there. Then there was this one time that he brought the really cheap crayons from a restaurant with him, and one fell out of his pocket. I didn't notice it until the next day, a hot day, when I went to grab something in the car and there was this vaguely crayon shaped green puddle on my back seat!

At least the good news with that disaster was, I already hated that car by the time the then-boyfriend and his son entered the picture, and I'd broken up with the guy a good six months before I bought my Fit. So here's hoping I learned my lesson.

*Well, as nice as I could keep it for a cheap lien sale car that the previous owner clearly had not given a rat's @$$ about, and thus had come with a mysterious stain on the front passenger seat.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
I could never use those rules, namely cause I'm the #1 offender of bringing food and drink into the car.

In fact, shortly after getting Fit last year, I had a major spill in the back seat when my 52 oz Bubba keg tipped over. A freshly filled with Pepsi, Bubba keg. The next two days and night were spent trying to absorb as much of that sugar out of the seat and carpet, even re-soaking it with a water damp towel. This came JUST as I had received my Coverking seat covers, but hadn't had time to install them.

Overall, I am trying to keep the car clean in general, just need to do some wiping down (so much dust).

Old 04-09-2011, 08:01 PM
303!

303 fabric protectant

Amazon.com: 303 Products Fabric Guard: Sports & Outdoors

is a wonderful product and lasts longer but may be more expensive than scotchguard. liquid spills actually seem to "hover" above the carpet or fabric. No product is perfect however. If a child actually grinds some food in then there's going to be some cleanup involved. I highly recommend the entire 303 line if you want the best.

Last edited by feddup; 04-09-2011 at 08:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-09-2011, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
yeah, I like those rules, but they don't work with kids. Mine got some jolly rancher stuck to the seat and I cannot get it off.