General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Anyone get less than MPG on fit vs sticker?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 09:32 PM
I'm the king of city stop & go, short-distance driving, as my upcoming 2nd oil change at 7900 miles will attest to (meter at 15% again).

In the dead of winter, I was hating on my Fit big time...........mid-20s MPG. I was ready to trade it in !!!

Spring and summer arrived, with the MPG's climbing up to the 30 to 32 range. That I could live with.

THEN AT LAST, this weekend I got to get out on an extended highway trip for the 1st time and averaged 45MPG from PA to VA Beach and back!!!!! It was sippin' gas like a hybrid !!!

But alas, winter is peeping right around the corner again

It all depends on where you live in regards to climate, how you drive and the type / length of trips you make. Click on my Fuelly icon..........your not going to get a much better example of the extremes you can encounter.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by 55Fit55
It all depends on where you live in regards to climate, how you drive and the type / length of trips you make. Click on my Fuelly icon..........your not going to get a much better example of the extremes you can encounter.
Yeah, with 100 degree temps, I'm having to keep the AC at full power just to keep up with the heat. I don't think the fit would be drivable right now without my sunshade for parking. Tinting is pretty hight on my priority list.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Living in Chicago suburbs, I'd get 33mpg (50:50, city:highway). Now in Maryland, with lots of hills and mostly city driving, I get 23mpg.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
I think you are mistaken.

I also think you need to find those cars that are "under-performing" and get more details about them. You might be missing out on details, such as where they are driven and how they are driven.

For example, I'll get just about 25 or so mpg while I work, doing deliveries. This is in a suburban area with plenty of stops but thankfully, not traffic jams. The more stops or traffic, and it'll easily get worse.

On the other hand, if I go out for a drive and not while working, I can easily pull 30 or more mpg... even 40 mpg if I'm far enough out in the burbs.

Having lived in San Diego for a couple of years, I can tell you one thing, my MPG would be higher in SD, since I would do much more highway driving there, than I am doing now in Chicago's burbs.

So, what I'm saying is... you boiling it down to "lemons" is way oversimplifying it.
You must drive it pretty hard to get 25 mpg or so. I got 27 with a fairly heavy foot and city driving only (delivering for a restaurant, M/T). And my best is 45 cruising at 55.
I'll try to see what are the yaris at my job (so the same use) getting for mileage.

Last edited by broody; 08-05-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:02 AM
Hey look at it this way - you could have my jeep wrangler that get about 15 mpg on a good day. It has a I-6 and I shift at about 2300rpm. I'm a really light driver. And I live in san diego where we have to get on a free way to go anywhere, pretty much.

hope this helps

PS. I wonder if it's just about the same in terms of power/weight also for acceleration. I'm sure my jeep weighs more than a fit

Old 08-19-2010, 09:24 AM
5 Year Member
Simple fuel saving techniques go a long way. For about 11 months of city traffic-jam driving, I get an average of 21-23mpg. HOWEVER. I find it hard to believe it's the car and not me (new driver alert). I'm still learning how to use fuel efficiently--something experienced drivers learn eventually.

Examples of something I would do that burns excessive gas...In the first few months I loved to 'punch it' from 0-35, on 1st and 2nd gear, at the green on every traffic light.
Speeding to close the gap between me and the car in front of me, only to stop at a traffic light almost immediately. In summary, if you hit the gas pedal alot, and/or are idle alot with fuel burning, you will get crappy MPG. Duh! =)

Old 08-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Simply put: No two identical vehicles will get the same gas mileage. Too many factors influence the outcome.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by blassty
Simple fuel saving techniques go a long way. For about 11 months of city traffic-jam driving, I get an average of 21-23mpg. HOWEVER. I find it hard to believe it's the car and not me (new driver alert). I'm still learning how to use fuel efficiently--something experienced drivers learn eventually.

Examples of something I would do that burns excessive gas...In the first few months I loved to 'punch it' from 0-35, on 1st and 2nd gear, at the green on every traffic light.
Speeding to close the gap between me and the car in front of me, only to stop at a traffic light almost immediately. In summary, if you hit the gas pedal alot, and/or are idle alot with fuel burning, you will get crappy MPG. Duh! =)
Great insight blassty
Keep an eye on the digital MPG graph. The one zipping all over the place. Understand the division marks and the number they represent.
For increased MPG it's your best friend, always telling you how you're loading the engine.

Experienced drivers [old dogs] have just as much difficulty, if not more, in getting the MPG thing down.
You have fewer bad habits that need changing... but one big one, the short line drag race_

Old 08-19-2010, 04:09 PM
the highest i have gotten on a single tank is 32mpg, and that was averaging 80mph on the freeway, if i had slowed down i would def. have gotten much better.i used to avg. about 24, but now is more like 27-29. i drive in a mostly suburban area, with a couple places being heavily congested all the time, i just have a problem keeping my foot off the fun pedal...

Last edited by SleepyJonDu; 08-19-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:21 AM
5 Year Member
I got more than what has been stated. I can't tell you in MPG how much I'm getting as I'm in Australia. But if you're looking for a car that's save fuel and cheap to maintain, I highly recommend the fit.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member
Alright, i have use this to convert the FC. Usually I get 525km for 35l which turn out to be 42.37MPG. How good is that for a 1.5l CVT?

Old 08-24-2010, 03:36 AM
make sure that that is standard gallon , not imperial gallons there is quite a big diff

Old 10-19-2010, 02:37 AM
I know this is an old few-month-old thread. I love going retro. Groovy!

Originally Posted by rotz
Hey look at it this way - you could have my jeep wrangler that get about 15 mpg on a good day. It has a I-6 and I shift at about 2300rpm. I'm a really light driver. And I live in san diego where we have to get on a free way to go anywhere, pretty much.

hope this helps

PS. I wonder if it's just about the same in terms of power/weight also for acceleration. I'm sure my jeep weighs more than a fit
I used to own a base Wrangler (TJ) with the 2.5L I-4. In the city, it usually got around 14, and on the highway around 19. I bought it used, and it was pretty lively in city traffic (i.e. would jump like a raped pig), but seemed to top out just north of 65-70. I think someone may have put shorter gearing in it (bought it used)

I learned to drive in an XJ Cherokee with that old-school AMC I-6. The vehicle around it may have been a junker, but that engine was a thing of beauty. It wasn't fast by a stopwatch, but it had that old-style American rip-roaring torque going for it. (his was stripped down - two door, 4x2, nothing power except steering and brakes - it weighed less than 3000 lbs)

Originally Posted by shegetstodriveit
I also don't believe some of the unusually high mpg averages reported here. Lots o' kiddies on this site who are more likely going to misrepresent their numbers for the "cool" factor- or they won't mention that they have removed weight.
You run into that with any boasting about stats. People will search in earnest to find the lowest 0-60/1/4 mile times, the left rim of the bell-curve, and consider that gospel. They'll claim that the freak mileage that they only got once as their usual mileage.

37-39 isn't unreasonable for highway travel in a Fit Sport AT. I manage it pretty regularly, even with A/C on. I have seem limited personal results to make me suspect that on flat land, mid 40's is easily achieved - I wouldn't expect the manual to be significantly better on the highway, if at all - both have a solid link between the engine and transmission thanks to the lockup-torque converrter (thus slippage isn't a factor) and the difference in curb weight is less than 100 lbs. The taller highway legs of the AT should be more than enough to compensate.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:02 PM
my wife and I get about 27-28 mpg in NYC, with some mixed highway. Highway about 30-32 or so. Its a lot better than my old RX-8, but I was hoping for something over 30+ in the city. Still love the car though.