General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

I just drove the Fiesta today! Should I get '07 or '09 Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 08:17 PM
I just drove the Fiesta today! Should I get '07 or '09 Fit?

Hi All,

Light skimmer, first time poster.

So last week I test drove a 2010 Honda Fit, in the back of my head knowing I was gonna pick up the Ford Fiesta this week, and just using the Fit's driving experience as a laughable comparison. Fit driving was a lot better than expected as it really is "zippy," and seating felt HUGE for being such a tiny car. I walked away with a surprised enjoyment of the car, but was still pretty damn sure I was gonna walk away with the much sexier Ford Fiesta this week.

This week comes, I drive the Fiesta. I've been reading all the updates about the Fiesta, and drooled over it's style, sticker MPG, and 6-speed "dual clutch" which saves even more fuel!

Long story short, the "comfort" and real world driving of the Fiesta didn't live up to what I'd imagine. I drove the Automatic and it felt as though it was always trying to guess what gear it should be on (ie 3rd vs 4th) and when I injected the pedal just a tad to test it, it felt like it took a couple seconds to finally get into the correct gear.. It sucks because I'm a HUGEE fan of it's styling, not even caring about the backseat space issue, as I'm in it alone 80% of the time.

That said, I want a base Fit (as it seems the Sport just adds aesthetics, not so much performance?)..

I also know that MPG for Fits are actually OVER the sticker MPG's..

My question is (in hopes of saving some $$ by buying used) is the better MPG in real world phenom just for second gen Fits (09, 10)...

or will I find better MPG mileage over sticker mileage in the 2007 and 2008 Fits as well?

In reading responses most owners here are of the former group (newer models).

Thanks much.

Last edited by fordnon; 07-24-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
GD 07 will be the 1st Fit classic it's the smallest and the Fit will prob. grow with every model change. The GE looks more agressive for sure than the GD and who knows what the GF's in 6-8 years will look like?

Yes I have an 08 GD S a/t and it does 40-44mpg on the hiway trips and 30-34 around the burbs. I'm not really around a "city" so can't give a real mpg on stop and go city driving.
There is one of us here selling a GD for 8.5K I think he just wants out of the payment.

I'm 50 and have owned 3 Fords, But the one we have now .... well I'd buy a Honda instead of the Ford just because we work too hard in our family to buy something I know is going to have a major PIN (Pain In the Neck) repair. And we've had to sell the Fords right @ 100-125K to get a decent price. Honda seems to have a much longer life spand (x2). Which may not be a concern for you now but it might be in your future.

Go with what you have your hearts eye on not what a few dollars dif. might make if you think the Festia gives ya good feeling when ya look at it buy it. GL

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 07-24-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
No matter what you get, Fiesta, older Fit or newer Fit, you are going to get phenomenal gas mileage. Don't buy the car based on 2 or 3 mpg, buy the car that is the most comfortable, best looking and fun to drive for you. If you are in love with the Fiesta go with that, if you like driving the Fit better go with that. It's silly to get that caught in MPG specs.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Plenty of MPG threads around here on the GD GE AT MT you name it. There are sections devoted to the GD - many owners w/ tons of mileage on them. Buying used can be a great value, but you're buying a used car, however, Honda's have always had great resale value.

I chose new because the FIT is very affordable and gives great value and it's a handful of fun. Why are you looking at auto's. IMO the manual tranny is really the way to go, primarily for the reason's you've stated w/ the Fiesta.

Not sure how easy it will be to find a used FIT today. Possibly on a Ford lot__?

Old 07-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Man I think '07 is much better.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
I've seen one Fiesta on the road, I thought it looked horrible.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
The Sport adds goodies like cruise control and foglights. And paddle shifters for the AT version.

Get what drives better and feels more comfortable for you. The Fit was our car of choice a year ago when we looked. The competitors it had then were nowhere near the Fit's design and driving experience. The landscape has changed a lot since then.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by Perrenoud Fit
GD 07 will be the 1st Fit classic it's the smallest and the Fit will prob. grow with every model change. The GE looks more agressive for sure than the GD and who knows what the GF's in 6-8 years will look like?

Yes I have an 08 GD S a/t and it does 40-44mpg on the hiway trips and 30-34 around the burbs. I'm not really around a "city" so can't give a real mpg on stop and go city driving.
There is one of us here selling a GD for 8.5K I think he just wants out of the payment.

I'm 50 and have owned 3 Fords, But the one we have now .... well I'd buy a Honda instead of the Ford just because we work too hard in our family to buy something I know is going to have a major PIN (Pain In the Neck) repair. And we've had to sell the Fords right @ 100-125K to get a decent price. Honda seems to have a much longer life spand (x2). Which may not be a concern for you now but it might be in your future.

Go with what you have your hearts eye on not what a few dollars dif. might make if you think the Festia gives ya good feeling when ya look at it buy it. GL
thanks im about 80% sure on the fit..

i've heard instances of GD's where some people get great mileage like you (above sticker MPG)..

and some who see 25 mpg in city/suburb.. they could be car specific but im guessing there's no way of finding out (ie via batch check or something) until you drive it?? thanks.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:19 PM
Not only does the sport add to the looks, but you get things too that count, like rear sway bar, larger wheels and tires, stability control and iirc brake assist. It costs more yes, but for what you get, its well worth it IMO.

Maybe you should wait and get or check out the Mazda 2 Its 2300 lbs and optioned with a manual and sport package its a hair over $16k. They said the 4 spd auto was used to save money and weight and shouldn't be considered if you can help it.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fordnon
they could be car specific but im guessing there's no way of finding out (ie via batch check or something) until you drive it?? thanks.
I really think that mpg mostly has to do with how you drive and how you maintain the vehicle.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:07 AM
Banned
Mazda 2 = Fiesta

Old 07-25-2010, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member
With regards to real world MPG (GE8 owner), my best to date MPG has been 40.xx MPG and worst to date MPG of 25.xx MPG (Downtown Washington DC/Northern Virginia rush hour traffic daily Mon. to Fri.)

So depending on your area's traffic/driving style, it's fairly easy to get above sticker MPG rating.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:00 AM
s0x
5 Year Member
hahahhahahha

my ex and i bought a ford focus and a honda fit at the same time in 2007 both have 90K miles on them here is her service record...

Her Ford Focus.
new springs
new shocks
new brakes 2 times
3 sets of new tires
ecu went out
catalytic converter went out
new rotors

My Fit.
oil changes.
brake pads.

shes spent well over 6 grand fixing stuff that shouldnt even be broken to begin with and this is with the extended warrenty. Fords are getting better but they in my humble opinion are still trash cars. do yourself a favor and save the headache of the fiesta. remember when the fiesta was a joke car cuz it sucked so bad....?
just saying...

Old 07-25-2010, 04:03 AM
s0x
5 Year Member
also things to consider

there is no active massive FORD FIESTA community like the fit or hondas in general

anytime ive ever done anything to my car someone on this forum has been willing to help me for free or lunch i dont think your gunna find that on fiestafreak.net lol and as far as the styling goes. that cars freaking ugly as sin lol

Mugen '10 Fit will ALWAYS be sexier than a ford fiesta

NOW! if you were talking about the new focus hatchback thats in europe. that would be a different story but were not good luck man please dont buy that ford.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:47 AM
Ford styling = wannabe like everyone else. blaaaa! I like the FIT's, any FIT's, distinctive look.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
s0x sums it up, and show some real time facts ..... PIN repairs!

Old 07-25-2010, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by s0x
my ex and i bought a ford focus and a honda fit at the same time in 2007 both have 90K miles on them here is her service record...

Her Ford Focus.
new springs
new shocks
new brakes 2 times
3 sets of new tires
ecu went out
catalytic converter went out
new rotors

My Fit.
oil changes.
brake pads.

shes spent well over 6 grand fixing stuff that shouldnt even be broken to begin with and this is with the extended warrenty. Fords are getting better but they in my humble opinion are still trash cars. do yourself a favor and save the headache of the fiesta. remember when the fiesta was a joke car cuz it sucked so bad....?
just saying...
The Focus is irrelevant - it's an old design that was scrapped in Europe, but still peddled to the US to save money. A better comparison would be other cars built on Ford/Mazda joint chassis designs - Volvo S40, Mazda3, Mazda5, etc.

(Also, aside from the ECU and the Cat, these all seem like regular wear items by someone who is really, REALLY hard on the brakes. And, I'm kinda scared by you driving on tires with 90,000 miles... all highway, minimal brake usage?)