General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Has anyone ever repaired a window chip yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
Has anyone ever repaired a window chip yourself?

I'm trying to sell my Fit and it has a window chip. I don't really have the cash to pay a shop to replace it, but I've considered using a DIY kit to fill the chip. Anyone ever use these before?

Windshield Repair Kit by Permatex - Part 09103 - Advance Auto Parts____

Old 07-25-2010, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member
FYI, don't try it. Followed instructions exactly and it cracked my windshield.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:54 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
sorry to hear that. i was just gonna reply: i've used it twice, worked both times for me. they have an instructional video on their website too.

if you bring it to a windshield repair shop, they use the same kit, except charge $15-$25. you can buy the kit yourself and do it for ~$10.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
sorry to hear that. i was just gonna reply: i've used it twice, worked both times for me. they have an instructional video on their website too.

if you bring it to a windshield repair shop, they use the same kit, except charge $15-$25. you can buy the kit yourself and do it for ~$10.

It started to fill it in it looks like, but it all of a sudden cracked. I dunno what happened. Maybe the chip was too big, or to old or something. I put the adhesive over the chip, but the tube on it and put the resin in. Then as soon as I stuck the syringe (sp?) in, it cracked.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Edison Carasio
It started to fill it in it looks like, but it all of a sudden cracked. I dunno what happened. Maybe the chip was too big, or to old or something. I put the adhesive over the chip, but the tube on it and put the resin in. Then as soon as I stuck the syringe (sp?) in, it cracked.
Hmm...I've actually heard a lot of good things about the self-repair kits. I haven't had to use one "yet".

I'd look at it this way. It's most likely that if the trauma of adding resin and using the kit caused your windshield to crack? It probably was inevitable.

I guess I also think a 10, to 15 dollar "savings" might not be worth it. To me it would be worth an additional 15 bucks for a professional evaluation and repair. A competent and honest windshield repair place probably could evaluate whether damage is repairable or not.

Of course you have to trust the shop.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:50 PM
WGE
5 Year Member
I had a small chip that I repaired with a Permatex kit. Seemed to work fine for me. The chip has not grown and the windshield hasn't cracked in an entire one-year period. However, if you look closely, the repair is apparent.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:18 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Edison Carasio

If it cracked as you stuck the syringe into the pedestal, your windshield probably cracked from you putting pressure down on it as you inserted the syringe. That wouldn't really be the fault of the repair kit if that's what happened.

Originally Posted by WGE
I had a small chip that I repaired with a Permatex kit. Seemed to work fine for me. The chip has not grown and the windshield hasn't cracked in an entire one-year period. However, if you look closely, the repair is apparent.
yea you can still see where the repair was made. it also depends on how well you were able to clean the crack before you filled it, and how much dust got in there.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
[quote=doctordoom;888640]If it cracked as you stuck the syringe into the pedestal, your windshield probably cracked from you putting pressure down on it as you inserted the syringe. That wouldn't really be the fault of the repair kit if that's what happened.

[quote]

I figured it did it as the chip may have been too far gone for repair, as like you said it couldn't stand up to it.

At least I got some other stuff fixed on the car without breaking it (driver door grip cover and splash guard under the car).