General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Clutch problems - difficult getting into gears

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
Clutch problems - difficult getting into gears

So a clutch problem showed up randomly. 2007 and 54k miles on the car, I've never abused it.

It feels like the clutch is engaging closer to the floor than it used to. As I've driven it the past couple days, it's nearly impossible to get into any gear. I usually have to rev the engine to get into a gear. Problem is worse when the car is warmed up. Clutch fluid levels are correct.

Is my clutch disc & pressure plate gone? Or is there possibly something wrong with the master or slave cylinders not making the clutch disengage fully?

Appreciate any insight.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:39 AM
I had the master cylinder fail on my car at 10,000 miles. Honda fixed it under warranty, but damn, what a headache. I also don't abuse my car. If anything my car rarely sees anywhere above 4k rpm. Anyway, they said it had nothing to do with my driving, but was rather equipment failure. It acted exactly like your car does. The pedal (clutch) got progressively softer and closer to the floor. Then it failed completely, not allowing me to shift into any gear. Let us know what you find.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
I think that could be my problem.

There is no rattling noise at all, so it doesn't seem like anything is broken in the transmission. When I can get it into gear, 5th gear and dump the clutch, it kills the engine immediately, so there is no slippage.

I think it must be something with the hydraulics. I've not noticed any leaks, but I haven't looked either. I'll need to get under the car and see if I can see any leaking fluid around the master or slave.

The pedal doesn't seem soft or spongy but I don't have another Fit to compare. It seems I remember it being softer when new. However, one thing I did notice after checking it again is that when I can get it into gear, the clutch engages almost right off the floor. I wasn't noticing this before as I was just struggling to get it into gear and get home. Also, the longer I hold the clutch in, the less chance I have to get into gear. It seems that pumping the clutch makes it easier.

So now given that, it seems that fluid could be leaking past the seals of one of the cylinders, and releasing pressure the longer the pedal is held down. Pumping it allows it to build up pressure momentarily. The fluid levels are good, so where could the leaking fluid be going?

Old 09-11-2010, 02:06 PM
I have the exact same symptoms on my 2007 fit as of just today! Just as I was getting on the highway I shifted from 3 to 4, I heard a small ''click'' and had trouble getting into any gear. I managed to get home but the clutch is now engaging just off the floor and all gears are hard to get in.

What was the problem on your car and did you get it fixed on warranty?

Old 09-11-2010, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
I checked the operation of the clutch hydraulics first. They were fine.

We dropped the transmission and both the pressure plate and clutch disc were gone. It was the pressure plate not fully disengaging the clutch that wasn't allowing me to get into any gears.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
You have a master cylinder and slave cylinder on the pressure plate end of the hydraulic line and if they both are all right there is air in the hydraulic clutch system... Changing the fluid and bleeding off the the line will tell you if there is a problem with either cylinder and fix the problem you are experiencing if there isn't.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Thanks, I'll try that first.cause everything was alright and it happened so suddenly. How can a very good clutch wear out in 5 seconds ?!!!

Old 09-12-2010, 01:45 PM
I just bled the clutch and the pedal was staying stuck on the floor after pressing it down and closing back the bleed valve . I had to push manually on the slave cylinder and then it popped back up and the fluid in the reservoir went down at the same time. I did that over 10 times so that I was sure I had only fresh fluid with no air in the system.

It did not correct my problem. So I guess it must be something else....I still cant understand how it could be the clutch disc or pressure plate itself as it happened so suddenly and not gradually.
Anybody has other ideas??

Old 09-12-2010, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
There are bleeder screws on both cylinders.. I had the same kind of problem on an old truck awhile back and picked up a vacuum pump type bleeder at AutoZone to use... There are also pressure type devices that allow you to pump fluid from the bottom to top that also eliminates air in the lines... I wish I had more help to offer you.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
In my '99 Mazda, it was the slave cylinder causing the same symptoms.