General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit (or any sub compact) vs Smart Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
Roger Penske is behind the Smart car being in the U.S.

The Smart car also shows the idiocy of our government. The gas Smart is available, but the diesel isn't. The diesel Smart gets I think over double the mileage of the gas Smart, or close to double anyway. So if people at the EPA were really concerned about the environment, the importation of the diesel would be a no-brainer. But no, that's not federalized, yet somehow Europeans and Canadians aren't suffocating in clouds of black exhaust. See the hypocracy?

It's too small for my needs, but I love the fact that they are available to anyone that wants them, and that's how it should be for many more "S.W.A.G.", or Stuff We Ain't Gettin', vehicles. I mean if a car is safe enough to be on the market in Japan and Europe, the rest of the freakin' First World, then they should be safe enough for U.S. sale. But I guess that's too logical.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:02 PM
HotIron - we can all thank the tremendously rich litigators and insurance moguls and the smoke and mirrors thrown up by the corporate world.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by HotIron
Roger Penske is behind the Smart car being in the U.S.

The Smart car also shows the idiocy of our government. The gas Smart is available, but the diesel isn't. The diesel Smart gets I think over double the mileage of the gas Smart, or close to double anyway. So if people at the EPA were really concerned about the environment, the importation of the diesel would be a no-brainer. But no, that's not federalized, yet somehow Europeans and Canadians aren't suffocating in clouds of black exhaust. See the hypocracy?

It's too small for my needs, but I love the fact that they are available to anyone that wants them, and that's how it should be for many more "S.W.A.G.", or Stuff We Ain't Gettin', vehicles. I mean if a car is safe enough to be on the market in Japan and Europe, the rest of the freakin' First World, then they should be safe enough for U.S. sale. But I guess that's too logical.
If we were serious about "free trade," we'd eliminate the double standards and embrace International ECE regulations. Imagine if Euro cars and North American cars could be shipped back and forth at will. It's not as if Euro NCAP is some type of bumbling 3rd world standard - it's actually more in line with the stiffer IIHS crash testing.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:14 AM
Originally Posted by Occam
If we were serious about "free trade," we'd eliminate the double standards and embrace International ECE regulations. Imagine if Euro cars and North American cars could be shipped back and forth at will. It's not as if Euro NCAP is some type of bumbling 3rd world standard - it's actually more in line with the stiffer IIHS crash testing.
^^
Nothing is "free" in this world. All markets are protected and is not to protect the consumer, though we are burden [guilt -the ultimate motivator] with that thought. All we are left with is to imagine.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member
How much does it cost? That's really the determining factor. Keep it cheap and it will sell.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:10 AM
5 Year Member
Krimson and Occam......agreed.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Psycho_FIT
has everyone seen the new Scion IQ coming out later this year? it's supposed to be just a little bit bigger than the smart car. it looks way more aggressive.

OK, now that I like!