General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Paddle Shifters for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Paddle Shifters for Dummies

Hello All,

I am a new Fit owner and I absolutely LOVE it!!! I have never been into cars and I have definitely fallen for my Fit.

I would really like to understand how to use the paddle shifters. I know I am going to sound like a moron, but I have only ever driven an automatic, never learned manual, and so I don't really understand how it operates.

Can someone explain them to me like I'm an idiot, which I pretty much am about these things...?

Thanks!

Old 06-18-2010, 10:51 AM
do you have an understanding of how gears work, and why? For example, do you have a bicycle with gears?

Old 06-18-2010, 11:08 AM
5 Year Member
I have driven a manual car but never full time. Currently I use my paddle shifter daily, up shift downshift, red line a gear. It's very simple I can give you a quick run down.

First at a stop light put the shifter into S and tap the downshift (left side) paddle. This will put you into first gear (M1) it will display the gear under the PRNDS drive like you normally would and now the car will not shift by itself. I shift anywhere between 3 and 6 rpm's, when I shift I let up on the gas not all the way but most of the way, this is not necessary but for it to shift more like a manual transmission less gas is the way to go.

Now with this whole system being electronic there is some lag. I actually blip the up shift (right side) and then a split second after lighten my foot on the gas when the car ACTUALLY shifts. It's a lot to get used to, just have to get the feel of when the car will actually shift compared to when you touch the button.

Downshifting is very simple no gas necessary and I usually downshift around 3/4 rpm's. With my exhaust set up I get a little back fire and it sounds nice coming to a stop.

The car has it's own fail safe if you fale to shift and bounce off the red line a few times it will automatically shift for you before you do any damage to the tranny. Using these for engine break (downshifting) does put a beating on the tranny but it's a cheap car and it's a honda it's not really a concern.

It also wont let you downshift if you could damage the car by doing so, so dont worry you wont break anything playing with these until you can get everything down smooth.

I wish I had just gotten a manual but ive learned to live with my sporty fun paddles.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:31 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
im an avid MT driver and bascially cars ive bought for myself were MT ... the 09 FitS is AT driven by my wife mostly. i use the paddles mostly for engine braking and preparing for turns whenever i drive the 09....

l leave the shifter mode in Auto. i press the downshift paddle and blip the throttle so the engagement to the lower gear is smooth (just like a downshift on a MT). i let the car shift-up on its own as it's a donky paddle where the paddle spins with the steering wheel. you can't shift-up with the buttom while making a 90 degree turn cause you cant find the button! ... or you can, just mash the gas until it hits the rev limiter and it will shift up on its own. hahahaha. ive done that number of times just getting frustrated with the dumb design.

real paddle shifters are wider touch area and stationary on the steering column.

so for downshifting it's a convenient feature to have since most downshifts are done prior to turning you dont have to go search for the downshift button.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
im an avid MT driver and bascially cars ive bought for myself were MT ... the 09 FitS is AT driven by my wife mostly. i use the paddles mostly for engine braking and preparing for turns whenever i drive the 09....

l leave the shifter mode in Auto. i press the downshift paddle and blip the throttle so the engagement to the lower gear is smooth (just like a downshift on a MT). i let the car shift-up on its own as it's a donky paddle where the paddle spins with the steering wheel. you can't shift-up with the buttom while making a 90 degree turn cause you cant find the button! ... or you can, just mash the gas until it hits the rev limiter and it will shift up on its own. hahahaha. ive done that number of times just getting frustrated with the dumb design.

real paddle shifters are wider touch area and stationary on the steering column.

so for downshifting it's a convenient feature to have since most downshifts are done prior to turning you dont have to go search for the downshift button.

After driving with the paddles everyday I have learned to know exactly where the paddles are by using my thumbs to find the column on the wheels. I do agree though it'd be nice if they were on the steering column and larger.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
my wife doesn't care about it either. she doesnt use the paddles at all.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
my wife doesn't care about it either. she doesnt use the paddles at all.
per your sig, if she's your wife, sorry to say bro, it's not *your* car anymore. you can leave that ish out of your profile if you can stand to. besides, it's an AT, you should be aching to get it off of there. it's agonizingly inferior! how shameful!

Old 06-18-2010, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
Old 06-18-2010, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by secondspassed
per your sig, if she's your wife, sorry to say bro, it's not *your* car anymore. you can leave that ish out of your profile if you can stand to. besides, it's an AT, you should be aching to get it off of there. it's agonizingly inferior! how shameful!

you crack me up. it's my car actually, has my name on the title.

the Fit's AT is fine, but the paddles were not designed correctly imho other than for downshifting.

they should've just put a shift up/down lever on the gear shift instead if one was really going to use manual mode.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
This won't be popular but honestly? I hate the paddle shifters.

I come from a background of driving cars that were stick shift. I learned first on a stick shift and most of my adult life drove a stick shift.

I kind of thought I'd like the paddle shifters...even though they weren't the reason I bought a Sport Automatic.

Maybe I should try them out a little more? But the little bit I've tried to use them? They just make me nervous. It's just not the same as having a clutch and a real manual gearbox and as an automatic it seems almost stupid.

I mean the whole reason you buy an automatic...is so that it's automatic. Without a clutch to depress, I just can't get a good feel. Even if it's going to save me with an idiot safety net of shifting for me if I let it redline, I still don't think it wise.

I haven't had the car too long and have been breaking it in, so maybe I just need to experiment a little more, but for now? Paddle me Unimpressed.

I'll put some more miles on it, and once I feel comfortable that the engine is broken in, maybe I'll try it some more.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:17 PM
they should've just put a shift up/down lever on the gear shift instead if one was really going to use manual mode.
my subaru has this style, and I don't like it. The shifting isn't quick enough, or it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that I am really in control, with it shifting up or down before I am ready, or at the same time, or whatever. So I simply don't use it in manual mode. Therefore, my hands are always on the wheel, and never in position to quickly downshift when I get the urge.

I prefer the paddles- I'm able to leave my hands on the steering wheel and 'instantly' pop the paddle whenever the need arises.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks!

Thanks for all the helpful answers. They gave me a much better idea of what to do. Now I am going to go out and give it a try.

Ps. none of you made me feel like an idiot either... haha... so thanks for that as well.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shegetstodriveit
I'm able to leave my hands on the steering wheel and 'instantly' pop the paddle whenever the need arises.
and then wait a good 0.75-0.8sec for the AT to shift.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
This won't be popular but honestly? I hate the paddle shifters.

I come from a background of driving cars that were stick shift. I learned first on a stick shift and most of my adult life drove a stick shift.

I kind of thought I'd like the paddle shifters...even though they weren't the reason I bought a Sport Automatic.

Maybe I should try them out a little more? But the little bit I've tried to use them? They just make me nervous. It's just not the same as having a clutch and a real manual gearbox and as an automatic it seems almost stupid.

I mean the whole reason you buy an automatic...is so that it's automatic. Without a clutch to depress, I just can't get a good feel. Even if it's going to save me with an idiot safety net of shifting for me if I let it redline, I still don't think it wise.

I haven't had the car too long and have been breaking it in, so maybe I just need to experiment a little more, but for now? Paddle me Unimpressed.

I'll put some more miles on it, and once I feel comfortable that the engine is broken in, maybe I'll try it some more.
You definitely need to play with them some more. Using them on windy roads is great holding it at 3 or 4 rpms around a turn then punching it until red line. Really makes the 109 horses we have work to their fullest. The only thing that takes getting used to is the delay you get. Once your used to that you can make it really feel like a manual but without the clutch. It's great for some fun. I got so used to it that i drive in manual 95% percent of the time.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ciggy
You definitely need to play with them some more. Using them on windy roads is great holding it at 3 or 4 rpms around a turn then punching it until red line. Really makes the 109 horses we have work to their fullest. The only thing that takes getting used to is the delay you get. Once your used to that you can make it really feel like a manual but without the clutch. It's great for some fun. I got so used to it that i drive in manual 95% percent of the time.
I'll reserve my ultimate judgement until I give it a little more time. I would just warn someone who is used to stick shift and clutch, that the paddle shifters aren't the same experience.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
I'll reserve my ultimate judgement until I give it a little more time. I would just warn someone who is used to stick shift and clutch, that the paddle shifters aren't the same experience.
I agree it not the same!!

I would also recommend not using them or playing with them during the engine break in. As they put more stress on the engine.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:49 PM
and then wait a good 0.75-0.8sec for the AT to shift.
That's true, but you would have that same delay whether the fit had paddles or the +/- on the shifter.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shegetstodriveit
That's true, but you would have that same delay whether the fit had paddles or the +/- on the shifter.
it gives you time to blip the throttle on downshifts.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
it gives you time to blip the throttle on downshifts.
I like the way you think Ken.