General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Stress Crack in Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 02:42 AM
Merchant / Group Buy Organizer ( non-certified )
My wife called me when she got to work to say that there is a crack in the windshield of our 08 Fit, we just picked it up on Sunday evening, not even had it a week yet! We didn't hear any rocks hit the windshield and we drove to lunch this afternoon and the windshield looked perfect. There is now a 6 inch crack! What should we do, take it to the dealer and insist they fit it under warranty or call insurance? I'm not sure if something hit it but it had to have happened when the car was parked, anyone have suggestions?

Old 02-09-2008, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
i thought USDM windshields were supposed to be stronger than JDM windshields for safety purposes.
i might buy one of these for long road trips:

Old 02-09-2008, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TFB Designs
My wife called me when she got to work to say that there is a crack in the windshield of our 08 Fit, we just picked it up on Sunday evening, not even had it a week yet! We didn't hear any rocks hit the windshield and we drove to lunch this afternoon and the windshield looked perfect. There is now a 6 inch crack! What should we do, take it to the dealer and insist they fit it under warranty or call insurance? I'm not sure if something hit it but it had to have happened when the car was parked, anyone have suggestions?
If you can't see where a rock hit it then take it to the dealership and tell them it has a stress crack they'll examine it very closely and if they say it was caused by a rock have them prove it by showing you exactly where the rock struck it.

Mine had a stress crack in my first week of having the car and they replaced the windshield saying that sometimes they tie them down too tightly when the ship them and it causes the windshield to crack.

If the crack starts in the lower corner and then goes up diagonally odds are it's a stress crack. If it's not running to (or rather from) the edge then it was most likely not caused by stress but by something hitting it.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:06 PM
There is a tiny spot where it looks like there is a tiny chip near the bottom of the crack, but the spot where the chip is under the windshield wiper arm. There is really no way a rock could have struck the glass there, it would have hit the windshield wiper arm. Plus we drove the car earlier that day and the windshield was perfect, then a few hours later a 10 inch crack appears. The crack does extend down through the bottom edge of the windshield. I have to wait to talk to the service manager on Monday. We have only had the car 5 days.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
There is a tiny spot where it looks like there is a tiny chip near the bottom of the crack, but the spot where the chip is under the windshield wiper arm. There is really no way a rock could have struck the glass there, it would have hit the windshield wiper arm. Plus we drove the car earlier that day and the windshield was perfect, then a few hours later a 10 inch crack appears. The crack does extend down through the bottom edge of the windshield. I have to wait to talk to the service manager on Monday. We have only had the car 5 days.
I know the feeling. I picked mine up on a Monday, that Thursday I parked it in the carport and the windshield was fine. When I came out the next morning there was a good 2 foot crack starting at the bottom corner on the passengers side and it ran diagonally up into the middle of the passengers side.

The carport is at least a good 100 feet from the road. I called the dealer and told them about it and that it was a stress crack. They said to bring it in and they would look at it. When I got there they pulled out a "Microntascope" and started looking at it.

I laughed, I knew exactly what he was using because I used to have one and it may still be in my storage.

He went up and down the crack desperately trying to find a rock chip. I told him he wouldn't find one. Finally he gave up and agreed it was a stress crack and that they would order a new windshield and that it would take about a week to arrive. It was there in about 5 days.

To top it off it was then that either him or the service manager told me that it happens sometimes when they tie it down to tightly for its trip across the Ocean on the ship.

Everyone kept saying how they would be p'd off. I just laughed and said "new windshield that one had bugs on it anyway".

It's been over a year and a half now and there are no problems whatsoever with the new windshield.

Just got to grin and bear it sometimes. I wish you the best.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:37 AM
I went to Gilroy Honda yesterday and showed the service manager the crack in my windshield. The tiny rock chip was under the windshield wiper arm, he said that was the point of impact that caused the crack. I argued that my car was a dealer trade and the chip could have happened when the car was driven out from Fresno before I picked it up. He agreed that is possible and since it was raining the day my car was delivered that is most likely when it happened. So they are going to fix it for FREE under warranty!

When we purchased our Fit they did not have a silver AT on the lot, so they had to trade with another dealer. I was a little concerned at first but we had our new Fit in 24 hours and we paid under MSRP. Gilroy Honda rules!

Old 02-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
I went to Gilroy Honda yesterday and showed the service manager the crack in my windshield. The tiny rock chip was under the windshield wiper arm, he said that was the point of impact that caused the crack. I argued that my car was a dealer trade and the chip could have happened when the car was driven out from Fresno before I picked it up. He agreed that is possible and since it was raining the day my car was delivered that is most likely when it happened. So they are going to fix it for FREE under warranty!

When we purchased our Fit they did not have a silver AT on the lot, so they had to trade with another dealer. I was a little concerned at first but we had our new Fit in 24 hours and we paid under MSRP. Gilroy Honda rules!
congratulations! you had a good argument too.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:12 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
good negotiator.

i know it's already a done deal, but for anyone that cares....

wat i usually do is run a ballpoint pen down the crackline and
if it catches ever so slightly that's the impact point. if there
is no impact point, then it should be easy to claim stress
fracture which is warranty repair.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:15 PM
i have a chip about the size of a fingernail in mine, caused by a rock. i was driving on the highway and i heard it and saw it happen. i was so pissed.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
you can get repair kits at autoparts stores before it gets any worse.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
you can get repair kits at autoparts stores before it gets any worse.
really? thanks . ill have to go look.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
yah, looks something like this:

Old 02-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
yah, looks something like this:

awesome thanks alot

Old 02-12-2008, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member

Quick thinking on your part. Good deal.

For the rest, many insurance policies cover the glass with no deductible for rock chips on new cars with full coverage. I know Geico does. Check with your insurance company before trying to fix it yourself. You may save both money and headaches.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
I had a stress crack on the passenger side that branched out in the middle and when i went to the dealership they went over and over and over my window, and no chips dents or anything. it was just cracked from the extreme cold in the night cuz when i got up to go to work in the morning i had noticed it, moisture under the plastic cover at the top of the hood and window is where im guessing it froze

Old 02-13-2008, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tomsfit
I had a stress crack on the passenger side that branched out in the middle and when i went to the dealership they went over and over and over my window, and no chips dents or anything. it was just cracked from the extreme cold in the night cuz when i got up to go to work in the morning i had noticed it, moisture under the plastic cover at the top of the hood and window is where im guessing it froze
Sounds like what mine did except mine didn't freeze. It was around 100F during the day and in the 70Fs to 80Fs at night when mine did it.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
On my old car I went to tahoe, and when I started the car, I turned on the defroster and stereo, and loaded the car with boarding gear, and my front and rear windshield both blew on the bottom flat stress crack all the way across. Combo of heat on a frozen set of windows, and pressure level from the bass, even with all 4 doors open, killed my shit. Then right after that someone broke into the same car through rear side window, and stole the stereo, that was broken at the time.

That really sucks to know that the fits are prone to stress cracks. I honestly think the fit windshields look like HUGE targets for rocks just due to the frontal area of the car stretched back for aerodynamics. It's just a bigger target, lower to the road, just higher chances of catchin a rock at high impact and a powerful angle.

I have had 3 stars already on my 08, but its like 20 bux to have a pro guy fix it before it spreads or goes through a night. The best thing to do if you get a star is to put packaging tape over the star to keep water and dirt from building up in the hole or chip area. Then use the filler, and it is good as new. I wonder if you can use clearbra on a windshield?

Old 04-05-2009, 05:47 PM
I have examined various glass cracks, including finding the cause for a cracked $2 mil telescope lens. Often a stress crack will produce a blowout that can be mistaken for a small rock chip (the cracking stress can dislodge a piece of glass on the surface).

Mine cracked this week - bottom passenger side (US) coming form the corner towards the center.

I would like to know if many have this pattern because the dealer may be misdiagosing them.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:56 AM
yeah i'm already on my second windshield as well, in my 08.

the 07 is chillin happily in the garage. i drive the 08 a hell of a lot more anyway