General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

new to the fit, is it slow?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 04:56 PM
new to the fit, is it slow?

i dont really know alot about these cars, ive been doing some research though
ive been admiring these for a while now,
i currently have a 03 g35 intake+exhaust

but im thinking about trading that in for a 09 or 10 mugen fit MT
and im planning to slam it then wheels with nice offsets
after that i might look into performance parts

but my main concern is if the fit is too slow, like i know it a big jump from 250+ car to this.. but i dont really know how this performs.
i know its not one of the fastest cars, i dont really care about speed that much, but i want to be able to keep up at higher speeds.

i went to test drive one the other day at honda, it was 2010 sport AT, but i was afraid to push it because the sales person was with me in the car.

my other option in cars is a evo8

i know all these cars are in separate categories, but i need your guys opinions.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:38 PM
the fit has zero 'push you in your seat' feel. That being said, it still manages to feel nimble and peppy around town.

It's a great commuter, but if you are looking at an evo, than a fit isn't going to satisfy you. I mean, there is no other reason to own an evo unless you want crazy power and/or a personal impression of coolness- neither of which the fit has ever been confused with.

Also, the fit isn't much of a tuner car. You will be stuck with stock HP, unless you want to spend a lot of money.

Last edited by shegetstodriveit; 06-13-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
if youre looking for a fast car, dont get a fit lol

Old 06-13-2010, 05:49 PM
IMO i think the fit looks really cool
and im sure if i get one people are going to look at me like im crazy
but i dont care...
im not really trying to be a speed demon either.. i just want to be able to keep up with other cars on the highway, pass easily etc.

i kinda just wanna be LOW AND SLOW
but then again i want to be able to to GO if needed

i was looking at turbos and its around 3k$ if end up getting a fit, that might be a possiblity in the future, what the gain from that?

Old 06-13-2010, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
the new fits (09+) dont have a turbo or supercharger kit available.

if youre looking to get a turbo and a bigger aftermarket support, look for a used GD3 (07-08).

Last edited by DreaMv; 06-13-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:39 PM
Depends on what your point of camparison is...

Verdict... SLOW.

Verdict... SLOW

Verdict... FAST!

Verdict... FAST!

Any questions?

In all seriousness, 0-60cartimes.com, if it is to be considered in any way reputable, lists the following as the average of all its records:

Average 0-60: 8.952s
Average 1/4 mile: 17.084s

According to Edmunds: "On Fit Sports, the automatic comes with manual shift control via steering-wheel-mounted paddles. Acceleration times vary widely depending on the transmission: The stick shift's good for about 9.5-second sprints to 60 mph, but the base Fit with the automatic requires a snooze-inducing 11.0 seconds."

I've had slower... and I have quicker. I'd imagine most Fit owners who care about fast have a second vehicle for fun, and the Fit is mainly the low-maintenance daily driver.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:41 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Can you arrange a test drive minus the salesman? I was able to do this when I was looking at the Fit and took it for a 35 mile run on the interstate to test the exceleration and how it handled at 70 mph. The car is sluggish but then picks up nicely and handles great in curves and turns. I've owned faster cars but I did not buy the Fit for its speed but for its gas milage. Then I learned to love all the quirky things that makes it a Fit and I love the go-cart feeling when your running the roads.

Cat :x

Old 06-13-2010, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator
If you get a GD3 and put a Turbo/SC on the car your looking at around 160whp. My auto has 120whp right now and its not crazy fast but it definitely has more pep to it

Old 06-13-2010, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member
lol someone needs some anger management...anyway since you suck at search... I will provide a link for you...it should answer any questions you may have about the Fits speed.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post749160

Old 06-13-2010, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member
I feel him though on this. Really how is it that ur choice is between a Evo 8 and a Fit. Come on why not some kind of middle ground. These cars are way different. If you want speed at a cheap price with a 4 door package and have money to maintain it get the Evo. If you want to save money and have a nice looking car thats cheap to maintain buy slow get the Fit. Or if you want a little of both i would go for some thing else. If you can settle with a 2 door car a S2000 is not fast but will keep up and is cheap to maintain. I would go with a Fit and keep saving up for a toy car that is quick. Thats what i finnaly did i have my S for the weekend and a beater for the week. Hope i will be able to pick up a Fit soon for the GF so she has something nice to drive

Old 06-13-2010, 10:03 PM
Really, what people are asking isn't "Is the Fit fast enough." "Is the Fit too slow." They can look up the numbers like anyone else. Besides, "fast enough" is an American obsession. The Britain has similar speed limits to ours; typically 30 in the city, 60 on the rural two-lane "A" roads, 70 on the motorways (basically their Interstates). They manage just fine with 1.0-2.0L engines.

Heck, I drove a GMC pickup that weighed 3200 lbs with a 120 hp engine. It did 0-60 in around 13 seconds. My I-4 powered Wrangler was more in the neighborhood of 15 seconds (and 15 mpg most of the time, but I digress). The Wrangler was more fun than just about any other vehicle I've owned. Note that these are not stories from the decades past when a Civic was pushing 80 hp... and a Corvette was pushing 150. The GMC was a 2003, and the Wrangler was a 2000.

What these people are asking is, "Is it really that bad driving a slow car?" "Will I regret buying a Fit?"

I direct them here: Slow Cars - Slow Is The New Fast - Automobile Magazine

If you've ever tooled around on a Ninja 250, listening to the engine scream as you whine through the gears like Rossi on rum, and stay well within the confines of the speed limit, you know EXACTLY what I mean.

Last edited by Occam; 06-13-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:59 PM
great post occam!

I never have a problem in normal traffic.

Of course, I'd never consider racing anyone either.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:01 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by 2Legit2Fit
God I'm so sick of these threads!

"Yeah I'm trying to decide between a Evo and Fit... what do you think I should do?"

"How do I get more power out of my Fit so it can keep up with my friends?"

"The Fit isn't very fast and people laugh at me, should I sell it?"

If you like the Fit then buy it, what the f*ck does it matter what some people on a forum tell you? How do we know what you consider a "fast car." Geo Metro's can pass shit on the highway... There are a million questions out there like this, did you even bother searching before you posted?

We need a seperate forum for this crap... "Recycle Bin"
STFU n00b, stupid GE owners.....

jkjk don't need to get banned again

Originally Posted by Occam
Really, what people are asking isn't "Is the Fit fast enough." "Is the Fit too slow." They can look up the numbers like anyone else. Besides, "fast enough" is an American obsession. The Britain has similar speed limits to ours; typically 30 in the city, 60 on the rural two-lane "A" roads, 70 on the motorways (basically their Interstates). They manage just fine with 1.0-2.0L engines.

Heck, I drove a GMC pickup that weighed 3200 lbs with a 120 hp engine. It did 0-60 in around 13 seconds. My I-4 powered Wrangler was more in the neighborhood of 15 seconds (and 15 mpg most of the time, but I digress). The Wrangler was more fun than just about any other vehicle I've owned. Note that these are not stories from the decades past when a Civic was pushing 80 hp... and a Corvette was pushing 150. The GMC was a 2003, and the Wrangler was a 2000.

What these people are asking is, "Is it really that bad driving a slow car?" "Will I regret buying a Fit?"

I direct them here: Slow Cars - Slow Is The New Fast - Automobile Magazine

If you've ever tooled around on a Ninja 250, listening to the engine scream as you whine through the gears like Rossi on rum, and stay well within the confines of the speed limit, you know EXACTLY what I mean.
Slow cars are fun, but I must disagree with the Ninja 250 screaming.....the engine sounds like a harley having buttsecks with a dirtbike.

To the OP, the Fit is fast enough for a DD, and has decent potential so long as you stick with the 07-08, which already has turbo kits, S/C kits, pieces to do k swap etc.

GE on the other hand has none of those things, and probably never will; no hate but it's just not gonna happen

Old 06-14-2010, 02:19 AM
Originally Posted by Gbaby2089
STFU n00b, stupid GE owners.....

jkjk don't need to get banned again

Slow cars are fun, but I must disagree with the Ninja 250 screaming.....the engine sounds like a harley having buttsecks with a dirtbike.
Offspring of said union...

Old 06-14-2010, 03:10 AM
Go with an evo8

Old 06-14-2010, 03:36 AM
Originally Posted by occman33
i know its not one of the fastest cars, i dont really care about speed that much, but i want to be able to keep up at higher speeds.
In re-reading this... are you asking if it will feel strained at highway speeds? It'll run just fine with traffic. The only downside is climbing long grades - on one particular hill out here (CA 1 south, from Monterey toward Carmel), where you climb 400 feet over approx 1 mile, on a freeway posted at 65 mph. It's a bit annoying when you are in 3rd gear at 70 mph, listening to the engine drone. Luckily, at 65 mph, it goes on for less than one minute. Hills are like kryptonite to my mileage... Keep me away from steep grades, and it's wonderful. 5 days a week climbing the same hill from a different side, in 25 mph residential neighborhoods, and I'm lucky to stay above 27 overall. Anyway, on a mountainous grade like that, even manually shifted, you will lose speed with your foot to the floor in either 4th or 5th, but 3rd will hold it and even allow you to accelerate a bit. (Trying to get up this hill when I had my Wrangler. Good... Gawd... That AMC sourced 4-banger did NOT like to be pushed like that!!!)

This is the only hill where I have any trouble... Then again, it seems, judging by the traffic patterns, that most 4-bangers struggle there. Best to stay in the right lane and let the Jags and Benzes roar on by on their way to Carmel and Pebble Beach.
i know all these cars are in separate categories, but i need your guys opinions.
I hear you... I once took test drives to decide between a Scion xB and a Pilot. I finally split the difference and got an Element!

Last edited by Occam; 06-14-2010 at 03:38 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
for me the FitS (5MT) is my dd and surface-road car, meaning, i dont take the expressways much. maybe a few times a month max. for my application the FitS does very well. yes, very slow compared to my other cars but in the commute i dont ever really need so much power and considering it's MT and running smaller profile tires than stock, my Fit can accelerate pretty fast off the line when i need to merge traffic. on the expressways (and hot days) it's a dog... but again it really depends on your application.

my wife who drives my 09 uses expressways often and with the AT and fuel economy, she loves it. and loves the great looks.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
I have a civic wagon 4wd 3g with 75hp, and before a geo meto 1.0 (but it was still fun to drive), so I consider that the Fit is pretty quick. And the short gear ratios make it feel ok for acceleration/passing even if you don't downshift all the time.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:41 AM
5 Year Member
Occam, if you're in SoCal, my friend who works at a dealer has a brand new 2010 black on black mugen fit sport 5spd manual on sale.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:01 AM
Originally Posted by Fitcious
Occam, if you're in SoCal, my friend who works at a dealer has a brand new 2010 black on black mugen fit sport 5spd manual on sale.
Sorry dude, I'm up in Monterey... and my car is less than a year old.

Quick Reply: new to the fit, is it slow?