General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

new to the fit, is it slow?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Occam
Sorry dude, I'm up in Monterey... and my car is less than a year old.
I think he meant occman33

Old 06-27-2010, 09:56 AM
5 Year Member
Man with the money ur gonna spend to keep that evo up, u might as well get the fit and work on making it faster. The fit is cheap on gas. I got over 40 mpg doin 70 on the interstate for 2hours. Add about 20-30 more hp and it would be "fast' enough to get u in and out of traffic like u want. My only complaint is that it seems to strain to get up to speed from take off. I only have an intake and catback. A lil forced induction would sure help pep it up enough.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
If you get the Fit and want some acceleration, only get the MT. The AT really is a dog on acceleration, but is fun. Both the AT and MT are fine for merging on highways and passing.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member
Well i traded in the S2000 this weekend for my Fit. I am very happy so far. The Fit is much quicker than i remember it being. Its funner to drive the Fit at 45mph than it was my CR. Great car glad im back in one.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
I thought making the move from a Fit to a ITR was smart at first... but now I'm just not sure. To each his own, but I think the Fit was the best car I've ever had (14 and counting).

Old 06-29-2010, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
When I test drove the Fit, I floored it with the sales droid in the car. He didn't seem bothered at all. It certainly accelerated better than any of the other small hatchbacks I test drove, each of which I floored. Only one of the many reasons I bought it.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:03 AM
Originally Posted by occman33
i dont really know alot about these cars, ive been doing some research though
ive been admiring these for a while now,
i currently have a 03 g35 intake+exhaust

but im thinking about trading that in for a 09 or 10 mugen fit MT
and im planning to slam it then wheels with nice offsets
after that i might look into performance parts

but my main concern is if the fit is too slow, like i know it a big jump from 250+ car to this.. but i dont really know how this performs.
i know its not one of the fastest cars, i dont really care about speed that much, but i want to be able to keep up at higher speeds.

i went to test drive one the other day at honda, it was 2010 sport AT, but i was afraid to push it because the sales person was with me in the car.

my other option in cars is a evo8

i know all these cars are in separate categories, but i need your guys opinions.
are serious

the fit is one of the slowest cars out there

pretty much EVERYTHING is faster except other cars in this class i.e. yaris
a stock fit, especially an auto, will be slower that mini vans, suvs and pickups

NO JOKE

Old 07-04-2010, 01:09 AM
Originally Posted by Cat
Can you arrange a test drive minus the salesman? I was able to do this when I was looking at the Fit and took it for a 35 mile run on the interstate to test the exceleration and how it handled at 70 mph. The car is sluggish but then picks up nicely and handles great in curves and turns. I've owned faster cars but I did not buy the Fit for its speed but for its gas milage. Then I learned to love all the quirky things that makes it a Fit and I love the go-cart feeling when your running the roads.

Cat :x
that is exactly the opposite of what you want to do

due to its lack of power any passengers will greatly reduce performance

floor it with the salesman, that is more realistic driving conditions for most people

you do know that YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO test ALL features of the car during a test drive, INCLUDING THE ENGINE.....in fact the salesman will think you are dumb for not flooring it

if the salesman was taking you for a drive in sports car THEY WILL FLOOR IT to show you the performance and health of the engine

Old 07-04-2010, 01:15 AM
Originally Posted by 5hit fit
When I test drove the Fit, I floored it with the sales droid in the car. He didn't seem bothered at all. It certainly accelerated better than any of the other small hatchbacks I test drove, each of which I floored. Only one of the many reasons I bought it.
the reason he didnt seem bothered is because he wasnt
this is NORMAL!!!
not only is this normal but, it is ABNORMAL NOT TO TEST THE CAR

you guys also know that you are supposed to slam on the brakes (when safe obviously) to test that it tracks straight right

this is even more important for a used car

Old 07-06-2010, 12:48 AM
It will make you appriciate the smaller things in life by getting the Fit and doing mods to it here and there. One of my friends has a 297whp turbo VR6 GTi, but he claims that driving my 82 hp (at the crank, when new, on a cold day...) 87 subaru GL sedan is more fun. Fun to drive cars are where its at! No matter the horsepower. Alot of times those EVO and STI guys are just so obsessed with having the "fastest for the money" car out there, especially claiming that " You're an idiot..." if you want to modify your sub-100- horsepower- at- the- wheels- S***box. Really? Give me a break. NOT ALL OF THEM ARE LIKE THAT but 8 out of 10 of those owners who I have met have that stupid attitude. All I'm saying is that the Fit has plenty of power for passing, ect. and you have to ask yourself what you really want in a car. Break it down into categories to, like passing. Do you want to be able to just step on the pedal to pass, or do you want a more "involved" driving experience? i.e. downshifting. Just the other day I made a perfect throttle blip/downshift/rev match, and pass on the highway in my stock fit. I was thrilled. (I'm a very simple kinda person... :S) but nevertheless... driving enjoyment. I've had more powerful cars but my Fit actually has taught me much about just driving in general. Yeah, I dunno, just think long and hard about it before signing anything. Good luck!

Old 07-06-2010, 01:33 AM
I have no problems with the auto. Paddle shifters may help a bit, but it's faster than my Jeep and that's all I care about. As long as I can merge onto the freeway without fearing for my life is all I need.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:23 AM
Originally Posted by shegetstodriveit
the fit has zero 'push you in your seat' feel.
From a stop and at low RPMS I agree entirely but once it's spooled up the Fit can push you into your very adequately. Of course at this point the engine is quite loud and everyone always mistakes it for a straining engine.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 5hit fit
Old Toyota Echo hatchback weren't bad at all on acceleration. And being lighter and more noisy, you'd feel the speed even more.

Originally Posted by OC-NightHawk
From a stop and at low RPMS I agree entirely but once it's spooled up the Fit can push you into your very adequately. Of course at this point the engine is quite loud and everyone always mistakes it for a straining engine.
Maybe it's not slow, but still, the fit starts slowly in low revs and then revvs up linearly, without any noticable vtec kick. An old vtec honda or a diesel (even a 100hp tdi) will give more kick even if it isn't so fast.

Originally Posted by oDDicAL
I have no problems with the auto. Paddle shifters may help a bit, but it's faster than my Jeep and that's all I care about. As long as I can merge onto the freeway without fearing for my life is all I need.
If people knew how to drive/press on the gas, even 60-70hp cars would be enough to merge on the highway. I never had any issue with my 1.0 geo metro, I was regularly cruising around 75-80mph, it was noisy but stable, and it wouldn't take an hour to get to these speeds. In town, I was just driving normal/quick (delivering pizza) and many civic or mazda 3 where thinking I wanted to race or offended because I passed them, so they would floor their "big engine" to impress me.

Originally Posted by GrE8
It will make you appriciate the smaller things in life by getting the Fit and doing mods to it here and there. One of my friends has a 297whp turbo VR6 GTi, but he claims that driving my 82 hp (at the crank, when new, on a cold day...) 87 subaru GL sedan is more fun. Fun to drive cars are where its at! No matter the horsepower. Alot of times those EVO and STI guys are just so obsessed with having the "fastest for the money" car out there, especially claiming that " You're an idiot..." if you want to modify your sub-100- horsepower- at- the- wheels- S***box. Really? Give me a break. NOT ALL OF THEM ARE LIKE THAT but 8 out of 10 of those owners who I have met have that stupid attitude. All I'm saying is that the Fit has plenty of power for passing, ect. and you have to ask yourself what you really want in a car. Break it down into categories to, like passing. Do you want to be able to just step on the pedal to pass, or do you want a more "involved" driving experience? i.e. downshifting. Just the other day I made a perfect throttle blip/downshift/rev match, and pass on the highway in my stock fit. I was thrilled. (I'm a very simple kinda person... :S) but nevertheless... driving enjoyment. I've had more powerful cars but my Fit actually has taught me much about just driving in general. Yeah, I dunno, just think long and hard about it before signing anything. Good luck!
That's right, I have as much fun on a race track with my 75hp 4wd civic during winter (on ice) than with my mr2 turbo during summer too.

But actually they made the 5mt gearbox so short that even with the low power/low end torque, in most situations we won't even have to downshift. It's pretty sad, plus it gives crappy mpg on the highway. I would have prefered longer gears, but with the fuel cut at higher rpm than 7k (so that we don't fall too low on the rpm's when we up shift).

Last edited by broody; 07-07-2010 at 02:49 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
You are so Right

Originally Posted by GrE8
This by far is right on point. I fell in this catogory many times. After i traded my 08 Fit for my old S2k CR i fell back into it. And i forgot how fun the Fit was to drive and what a great car it was to own. Also how cheap and easy it was to make look sexy. I was all about power for a while and spending alot doing so with very little room to be able to do much. Now i have the fit i can go on road trips with the GF and Dog with out a problem. I can have a great DD that looks Hot for cheap and still be fun. The Fit is so fun to drive its a 4-door go kart. I have no clue why i traded in my first one.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:57 AM
We can say its slow based on power ratings BUT its sure a lot more fun to drive compare to my 2005 Dodge SRT-4 that has 372whp/387wtq.

I want to get rid of my car to have (2) Fit's in my driveway

I rather drive a fun car that I will enjoy then a high horsepower car anyday. The Fit is all that and much more!

-Jesus

Old 07-07-2010, 10:58 AM
5 Year Member
My first new car was a 60ish h.p. VW Bettle. I got several speeding tickets in it. It was a blast to drive. My fit auto is a rocket in comparison. It's all about what satisfies YOU.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by theFigsFit
We can say its slow based on power ratings BUT its sure a lot more fun to drive compare to my 2005 Dodge SRT-4 that has 372whp/387wtq.

I rather drive a fun car that I will enjoy then a high horsepower car anyday. The Fit is all that and much more!

-Jesus
Very well said the Fit is so much fun and is very uniqe. It has so many uses for it that most cars would not. Fit Is Go

Old 07-08-2010, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by theFigsFit

-Jesus
That's the magic - it's got enough fun, enough charm, enough personality, that you forget that it's got a rather meager engine, that it's powered by the wrong wheels, that it's got budget grade suspension. It shines in spite of all of that, and makes you smile.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 08fithappy
Very well said the Fit is so much fun and is very uniqe. It has so many uses for it that most cars would not. Fit Is Go
08fithappy - i just love reading your posts! i love the fact that your just as happy with your fit as you were your S2K but for different reasons - keep up the great posts

Originally Posted by Occam
That's the magic - it's got enough fun, enough charm, enough personality, that you forget that it's got a rather meager engine, that it's powered by the wrong wheels, that it's got budget grade suspension. It shines in spite of all of that, and makes you smile.
well said !!!! i have a crx with about 180hp at 7psi and over 300 at 17psi on E85 - its fun to drive cause its a looker too and rare for these parts, i lent my fit to a friend for a week and I MISS IT! I caught myself after handing a newer mustang his ass on the freeway saying "that was fun, but i would rather be cruising in my fit" WHO CARES if a car is fast? all it does is get you to the scene of the accident faster! id rather smile than grimace.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:47 AM
5 Year Member
Put it this way, we all can tell you all the pros and cons about the Fit all day... But it all comes down to what you want. If speed is a Factor to you then the Fit is not the right car of choice for you, go with the Evo 9.

Quick Reply: new to the fit, is it slow?