General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Is the Fit Sport better than the Fit Base?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
Mechanically the cars are the same.... If you feel that you need the options the Sport has go for it.... Though I have a Sport I realize I can easily do without any of the options and would have spent the same as I have spent on a base model as I have on the Sport ....When it gets down to the nitty gritty, often times less is more.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by broody
I don't think you have the fit lx in USA (we have it in Canada), they look pretty good imo with the civic hybrid/lx wheels.

? Civic wheels are five-lug. Fit wheels are four. How are you going to put them on?

Old 06-15-2010, 08:42 PM
I don't think you have the fit lx in USA (we have it in Canada), they look pretty good imo with the civic hybrid/lx wheels.

those rims...eeesh...the fit sport is so much better,
the canadian LX version has nicer wheels...and a spoiler then the base model...
the US version gets |TPMS and paddle shifters...in canada...we get the shit wheels....and a spoiler....and you can't even get a navi...thts so bogus.
I think Honda canada did that to keep the price down.
I have a US honda fit sport..loaded with NAVI...and luv the car!!!

Old 06-16-2010, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
I don't think that the fit looks sport or good even with the sport rims, so I prefere the hybrid rims, they give the fit a look a bit futuristic (while these wheels are more retro/80's than anything).
But honda ruined the fit with unconfortable seats, short gears on the M/T and not enough sound deadening. For me it passed from way over the competition (and 90% of the compacts) to just over the average of sub compact class. Also no trunk release from the inside, my civic wagon 1987 has one (electrical and still working). And no power door lock on the base dx cdm trim (while there are power windows + mirrors) to force people to get an LX.

Also, I checked the 2010 yaris USDM vs cdm, and it's worst than the cdm fit (which still get all the safety features), the cdm yaris doesn't have 6 airbags, A/C or abs on it's base trim, while the usdm get 6 airbag, ebs, abs, TC + A/C for about the same price.

Last edited by broody; 06-16-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:23 AM
Originally Posted by canuck901
those rims...eeesh...the fit sport is so much better,
the canadian LX version has nicer wheels...and a spoiler then the base model...
the US version gets |TPMS and paddle shifters...in canada...we get the shit wheels....and a spoiler....and you can't even get a navi...thts so bogus.
I think Honda canada did that to keep the price down.
I have a US honda fit sport..loaded with NAVI...and luv the car!!!
Big platter of brushed aluminum with a few vent slots....

I'm thinking retro 1992:

Old 06-16-2010, 02:00 AM
5 Year Member
The wheels must be aerodynamic.
And they look like honda accord 1992 wheels.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:23 AM
The wheels must be aerodynamic.
And they look like honda accord 1992 wheels.
My first car was a 92 Accord. Identical to this one:

I HATED those hubcaps, but what is a broke HS student to do!?!

I used to check the junk yards on occasion for those SWEET 15" EX ALLOYS!

The final USDM Civic hatches were always stripped down junk (excepting the '02-0? low-density SI models). The UPPER level on the hatch was the DX. I'm really impressed that Honda realized that not every buyer of a compact hatchback is a broke college student delivering dominoes and sleeping on a futon. I believe 2004 was the first year that the top-level EX Civics finally added alloy wheels; my '01 LX coupe had no ABS, 14" wheels, no keyless entry. We're livin' in the future, man!

K, sorry about the threadjack... Just the level of stuff on even the base Fit, the cheapest Honda you can buy, is astounding. You can't buy a new Honda with hand-cranked windows, period. How crazy is that!

Last edited by Occam; 06-16-2010 at 02:32 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:47 AM
5 Year Member
The fit in Canada has exactly the same equipement level than the civic (for DX and LX trims). And they are at enough close price (especially if you finance it) so it's more likely to choose between the comfort and classic look of the civic or the big boot and driving pleasure of the fit. Newer civic doesn't even have soft plastic trims anymore.
EG and EK civic came with nothing standard but at least they had great fit and finish (for the time) and material quality (clothing, plastic), better (for the plastics at least) than newer civic (and even accords), except that they look a bit like fake leather/vynile.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:08 AM
The fit in Canada has exactly the same equipement level than the civic (for DX and LX trims). And they are at enough close price (especially if you finance it) so it's more likely to choose between the comfort and classic look of the civic or the big boot and driving pleasure of the fit. Newer civic doesn't even have soft plastic trims anymore.
EG and EK civic came with nothing standard but at least they had great fit and finish (for the time) and material quality (clothing, plastic), better (for the plastics at least) than newer civic (and even accords), except that they look a bit like fake leather/vynile.
Seems here that the Fit is sort of in intermediary trims. A base is somewhere between a DX and LX Civic Sedan. A Sport is a bit nicer than an LX, but a bit shy of an LX-P... The equipment doesn't line up perfectly, so this is a bit rough.

The price levels break out as follows (all are dealer invoice, manual transmission):

Civic DX 2d: $14,250
Civic DX 4d: $14,434
Civic LX 2d: $16,039
Civic LX 4d: $16,222
Civic EX 2d/4d: $17,919

FIt Base: 14,380
Fit Sport: 15,829

The Fit is a bit cheaper, but not by much. A Base Fit, at 14,380 (no accounting for tax here, and assuming you could get one at invoice) would run you $364.71 for a four year loan, even if your credit was horrendous and you were paying 10% APR.

A Civic EX is $454. The difference between a stripped down Fit and an EX civic (mind you this is without leather, nav, etc.) is $90/month, for someone with shitty credit.

If you have good credit, and can get, say 5.5% (acc to FICO this is anyone above a 720, and of course discounting the special rate APRs sometimes offered as incentives), it would be 417 for the Civic EX, 334 for the base Fit. A difference of approx $80/month. In other words, the spread between Civic EX and base Fit is approximately the same as a daily starbucks.

Between a Fit Sport and a Civic LX Sedan, it's $9/month.

I doubt many folks, if anyone, decide on a Fit vs a Civic based on price alone, or even as a major component. The Fit seems to be in the neighborhood of a Civic in the non SI/leather trims.

Dammit, I've gone off on a limb of digression again.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:40 AM
The Fit Sport also has 16" wheels, as opposed to the base versions 15"ers. That means longer periods between replacements and therefore another money saving factor.

I just bought a 2009 Fit Sport and the reason I chose that over the base model was because I figured I want to be driving this car for a very, very long time and I didn't want to get to a point where the base model just wasn't cutting it for me. I could imagine the base model becoming obsolete (so to speak) much earlier than the sport because it is, as someone said before, more econo-box.

I like the sport because I think it feels a little more modern and I like the extra tweaks in appearance on the outside, which means it will be longer before I start feeling like its "old".

I also have to say that I have NEVER been a car person but the Fit Sport has totally changed that. I absolutely love it. Its so zippy and peppy. A joy to drive. Not that you wouldn't get that from the base model, but its definitely what I enjoy most about the Sport.

All a matter of opinion, of course.

If you are really on a budget I suggest getting a 2009 Sport rather than shooting for the 2010. They are identical. Mine has just 8000 miles on it (indeed, a lucky find on my part) and has a longer bumper to bumper warranty than a brand new fit.

The best part: I only paid $14,000 for it. Thats $5000 less than the 2010 Fit Sport with the same specs and options at $19,000

Old 06-16-2010, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occam
Seems here that the Fit is sort of in intermediary trims. A base is somewhere between a DX and LX Civic Sedan. A Sport is a bit nicer than an LX, but a bit shy of an LX-P... The equipment doesn't line up perfectly, so this is a bit rough.

The price levels break out as follows (all are dealer invoice, manual transmission):

Civic DX 2d: $14,250
Civic DX 4d: $14,434
Civic LX 2d: $16,039
Civic LX 4d: $16,222
Civic EX 2d/4d: $17,919

FIt Base: 14,380
Fit Sport: 15,829

I doubt many folks, if anyone, decide on a Fit vs a Civic based on price alone, or even as a major component. The Fit seems to be in the neighborhood of a Civic in the non SI/leather trims.

Dammit, I've gone off on a limb of digression again.
I challenge anyone to find a Civic DX on the lot anywhere. I think Honda keeps it in the brochure just to advertise a low base price without intending on selling any. The DX does not include a radio or A/C, so right there the Fit Base is better equipped by $1200 or so. Also, only two exterior colors are available for the DX. There is a DX "Value Package" sedan-only model that is comparable to the Fit Base in equipment, but costs more. I test drove it and it seemed smoother and quieter, but hated the digital spedometer and otherwise boring character of the car.

I dont buy on monthly payment, because I pay cash. Out-the-door comparisons are how I shop price, but you are right, price alone does not make the decision. If it did, everyone would be driving a Korean car.

Last edited by nikita; 06-16-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by nikita
. There is a DX "Value Package" sedan-only model that is comparable to the Fit Base in equipment, but costs more. I test drove it and it seemed smoother and quieter, but hated the digital spedometer and otherwise boring character of the car.
seems to be the story with the Civic. Each generation is a bit more sedate and stuffy than the last. The 96-00 seemed just about the pinnacle, before replacing the four wheel double A-arm suspension with Mcpherson struts up front. The latest ones seem less spacious somehow.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nikita
I challenge anyone to find a Civic DX on the lot anywhere. I think Honda keeps it in the brochure just to advertise a low base price without intending on selling any. The DX does not include a radio or A/C, so right there the Fit Base is better equipped by $1200 or so. Also, only two exterior colors are available for the DX. There is a DX "Value Package" sedan-only model that is comparable to the Fit Base in equipment, but costs more. I test drove it and it seemed smoother and quieter, but hated the digital spedometer and otherwise boring character of the car.

I dont buy on monthly payment, because I pay cash. Out-the-door comparisons are how I shop price, but you are right, price alone does not make the decision. If it did, everyone would be driving a Korean car.
Price wise, a 4 doors (so with similar room, but still less practical than the fit) accent with similar equipement than the DX-A fit than we bought would not have been a lot cheaper (if any). Within a couple of years, the slighlty better fuel efficiency of the fit would make it cheaper probably. The regular price of an accent GL is 800$ cheaper than the fit we bought, but the accent doesn't have abs, ebd, or the extra 4 airbags that the fit has.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:21 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kodos1
I am planning on buying a 2010 Honda Fit. I don't know a great deal about cars so I am openly confessing my ignorance. What's the difference between the Fit Base and the Fit Sport? They list all the features on the website but this is honestly gibberish to me.

Is the Sport a better car? Will I be losing out if I get the base instead? I am really confused. I put the links below to each models feature list. Thanks in advance for any input you might have.

Fit Base
2010 Honda Fit - Options and Pricing - Official Honda Web site

Fit Sport
2010 Honda Fit - Options and Pricing - Official Honda Web site
imho, 'better' is really preference. some folks want the very basic means of transportation and the base would be 'better' for them. some want more bells and whistles and the sport would be 'better' for those folks as far as saving $ on the package itself rather than buying everything separately.

so it's really up to you. i think both base and sport have its own advantages and the owner (or renter) has the choice of deciding which makes more sense for their needs.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:42 AM
5 Year Member
The US Sport also has map lights in the ceiling, and is also available in two colors not available on the Base Fit (Blackberrry Pearl and Orange Revolution). I liked the Orange, so it was a Sport for me.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:18 AM
I got the fit sport 2008 manual transmission, that my wife drives...
I just had to get the m/t and had to get the sport for the more aggresive look!

Old 06-24-2010, 08:41 AM
Can you get the manual sport version with navigation?

Old 06-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by Casca
Can you get the manual sport version with navigation?
Only in 2009 and earlier models.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mdbrich

Why the Auto beats manual
1. Better gas mileage due to gear ratio
2. Paddle shifters are there in case you feel like changing the gears yourself.
i don't agree with the second one you put down... but the first one is true.. i kinda wish i got an automatic just because ALL i do is highway driving. and my car is always at 3k RPM while iam on the highway.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
So, if the auto really gets better fuel economy, what are you guys actually getting for highway mileage? My manual gets 38-41 MPG at 65 MPH (depending on wind and weather conditions). What are you auto guys getting?

Quick Reply: Is the Fit Sport better than the Fit Base?