General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Americas Scariest Highways.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Americas Scariest Highways.

Seems fun to take the Fit for a spin in one of these roads.

America's Scariest Highways

Old 05-26-2010, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
I was driving through Angeles crest yesterday and its not scary at all if you know the road. And pch 1 is a nice twisty mid tight stretch that's good to test out your tires.

What sucks about Angeles crest now is, its closed most of the time due to winter weather, rock slides, or fire damage. Only on your luckiest of day will you have the whole road to yourself from wrightwood to la canada. Its a great place to test out suspension tuning because the corners are mostly wide sweepers.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
I've driven too many times to count on I- 70 Colorado. It's a lot safer than driving most of the other Colorado mountain passes in winter.
I was rear ended once in a traffic jam during a rainstorm when I had my 92 Corolla All-Trac.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:52 PM
I'd have to vote for 17 from Santa Cruz to San Jo, over the Santa Cruz mountains. The road itself is fantastic, but the drivers who seem unable to handle it? Shoot me! No shoulders for much of the way, no median (just a divoted, scraped concrete barrier), and while there is a "speed limit" of 45 most of the way, there's a mix of speeding sports cars, lost tourists, and trucks laboring up the hills at 30.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:01 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
ive driven on some of those roads!

i thought alabama has a similar lonely road (bridge) over water too... feels pretty werd at night...would suck if you fell into the BLACK water.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
Meh interesting list, but I believe if its your time to check out, its your time. You could be driving the street in front or your house or sitting in the toilet. The best you can do regardless of the road is keep alert. But the unknown equation is what is the other driver doing, if they are picking their nose or messing with a cel phone, you're still going to get nailed. I don't do Angeles Crest anymore because I think the bikers are tools, last couple times i was there I was starting to WANT to take out some of them so they don't breed. That's when I realized, ok im done here. Moving on.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:15 AM
Haven't driven up to the "crest" in years! Memories! I'm going to have to up there in my FIT and give it a go. I live down in San Diego now. Do they still have that store/restaurant/bar, Newcombs I think?
Just got new tires for my fit. Maybe that would be the best place to really try them out. ciao!

Old 05-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
None of them are as bad-ass as The Million-Dollar Highway. Almost all of it has NO GUARD RAILS and a sheer drop hundreds of feet, and RVs and trucks travel the road regularly.

Take a look at this view.

File:Million Dollar Highway 10 2006 09 13.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You need power to get up some of the hills. I'd be terrified to do it in the Fit, honestly. Especially a manual.

Here's the Wiki article about the highway, including a video file.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_550

Old 05-29-2010, 08:44 AM
Pacific Coast Highway look fun and it also looks familiar. It looks like I've seen it in one of the top gears' series.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by Juliane
None of them are as bad-ass as The Million-Dollar Highway. Almost all of it has NO GUARD RAILS and a sheer drop hundreds of feet, and RVs and trucks travel the road regularly.

Take a look at this view.

File:Million Dollar Highway 10 2006 09 13.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You need power to get up some of the hills. I'd be terrified to do it in the Fit, honestly. Especially a manual.

Here's the Wiki article about the highway, including a video file.

U.S. Route 550 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's more fun with manual Fit. I think the Fit have substantial power to make it through those terrains. I'd try it if I live near that area.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:40 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Yeah, well....having driven it I can tell you that you want a vehicle with enough power to get all the way up the hills, or you could slide backwards downhill and off the cliff. Nothing to play around with. I am telling you that I am a good mountain driver, having grown up in CO, but that road scared the piss out of me. I white-knuckled it almost the whole way, and I'm not sure I breathed very much. We were in a mini-van so I felt as safe as I could be, but those mountains are hard on an engine, and if you stall out, you're in real trouble.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by Black01
Pacific Coast Highway look fun and it also looks familiar. It looks like I've seen it in one of the top gears' series.

I LOVE the Cabrillo highway section along Big Sur. I haven't driven it in the Fit, but do it fairly regularly on the Ninja. LOVELY road... if it weren't for confused flatlanders in rental cars who are afraid of (GASP!) curves. And, usually don't understand the purpose of a turnout.