General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Recommended/Required warranty maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 05:05 PM
Recommended/Required warranty maintenance

My 2010 Base fit is 6 months old. The oil life is displaying 50%. I want to keep this car well maintained both for the warranty and so that the car will last me 10-12 years. I looked in the owner's manual and all I found is that you should watch for little icons (like a blue wrench) to display, telling you to get something done. Is there a reliable preventative maintenance schedule somewhere to give me more direction ? I want to keep the car up, but don't want to do unnecessary things that the service writer at the dealership recommends just to pump up his commissions.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:30 PM
The first thing I had to learn [and I'm only 2K into it] was to listen to the FIT.

You're waiting until the OIL LIFE gets down to 15%.
Then you take it in and have the oil changed.
Your little FIT is going to be at 7K miles maybe.
Perfectly NORMAL.

There is posted in these forum's and in the Factory Service Manual a chart of those items.
Nice to see they wrote it al down, but really - your FIT knows.
Honda has a slightly different approach to routine service. All managed by the vehicle.
It will tell you when to have things done.

Keep looking at the Owner's Manual. K_C_

Last edited by Krimson_Cardnal; 05-20-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:35 PM
edit: even at six months you're still good to go. Honda says 12months.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, I think Honda's engineers must have figured out that the vast majority of owners (those who don't post in car enthusiast forums) NEVER read the book anyway. That's probably why they decided to have the car tell you when it wants servicing. If you listen to the car, it keeps the dealers honest, too.

I've always been a "by the book" guy, and it's taken me a while to get used to this, too.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 05-21-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
listen to your fit. Its there for a reason.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i only keep my cars 30K miles max so i only do the barebone maintenance:

oil & oil filter change at 5% (last time it was like -500 it's fine cause i use synthetic) , air filter change (once at 15K since i drive a lot in the dusty salt infested winter time air), and check fluids add as necessary.

only one time i had to add a little bit of coolant (not a leak, just low from factory), and other then that, mostly just filling the washer fluid.

very reliable and easy to use car.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
Well as far as Oil changes go, I've decided to "Listen to The Fit" for the first Oil Change. Mostly because it supposedly is filled with a "break in" engine oil. After that? I see no disadvantage in changing the oil earlier and more often...I'll probably change it at least every 6 months whether a glowing wrench icon appears or not....

Old 05-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by score04w
listen to your fit. Its there for a reason.
And might I add - It ain't called a FIT for nothin'. Total Sense..K_C

Old 05-21-2010, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet
Well as far as Oil changes go, I've decided to "Listen to The Fit" for the first Oil Change. Mostly because it supposedly is filled with a "break in" engine oil. After that? I see no disadvantage in changing the oil earlier and more often...I'll probably change it at least every 6 months whether a glowing wrench icon appears or not....
Honda would 'like' to see you for the first two oil changes [not cast in stone/obligation/policy] and then you might switch to syn. Do not monkey with the weight - plain and simple.

Something to do with a complete break-in in their eyes, who knows/cares. It is their engine they know.

They are welcome to it - it's brandy new.

It has a long life ahead of it and I'm happy to give the service guys my vehicle for it's first two oil changes.

K_C_

Old 05-24-2010, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
The Camry was still going strong at 211,000 miles when I gave it to my kid. No synthetic oil or anything beyond the book. 10-12 years on regular schedule should be easy with any well built modern car. Iffy lube propaganda has too many questioning the engineers at Honda. Who do you really trust?

Old 05-30-2010, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
service schedule for my 2007 fit

I don't like waiting for an "idiot light" to tell me when something needs to be done. The maintanence minder is a tool to get you to the dealer so they can decide what to sell you. I found this schedule on a subscriber website for auto service, i hope it is helpful. I have heard that the 2009 and 2010 Fits are engineered the same as the Civics. You can email me and i will attach te schedule to the reply. mattyj40@optonline.net

Old 05-30-2010, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by mattyj40
I don't like waiting for an "idiot light" to tell me when something needs to be done. The maintanence minder is a tool to get you to the dealer so they can decide what to sell you. I found this schedule on a subscriber website for auto service, i hope it is helpful. I have heard that the 2009 and 2010 Fits are engineered the same as the Civics. You can email me and i will attach te schedule to the reply. mattyj40@optonline.net
I've got my own built in "idiot light" and it just went off - no offense mattyj, seriously, but you're playing off an old deck.

To correct you, you have heard wrong and your conspiracy theory re: ... so they can decide what to sell you, only plays into the fears of the unprepared.

This forum is a solid place for FIT owners to find solutions and explanations to issues and problem they encounter in their rides. Both "pros" and the "uninitiated" are welcome.

What I've noticed is an inordinate numbers of sharks hiding in the waters around here.

Be up front and post your magical schedule, what's the problem or are you trying to hide your agenda??
K_C_

Old 06-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
If you listen to the car, it keeps the dealers honest, too.

Maybe....it's still a smart idea to look in the book and figure out exactly what "A1", etc means....I've seen complaints about someone asking for an A1 and getting $150 worth of work for something that should cost $50 tops!

Old 06-01-2010, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Be up front and post your magical schedule, what's the problem or are you trying to hide your agenda??
K_C_
A-men.

pwned

Old 01-18-2011, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member
I just want to make sure I understand.... There is no actual schedule, except for what the car tells me to have done. And, if I listen to the car, I won't void my warranty. Right?

Old 01-19-2011, 08:44 AM
Your owners manual tells it all... any specific concerns and you can ask the questions here, but for the first 100Kmiles you're basically concerned with oil changes.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mattyj40

Old 01-19-2011, 03:13 PM
Invisible wizard at that - it was his one and only post..............

Old 01-19-2011, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
reason for schedule not being posted.

The magical schedule you refer to was not posted due to the fact that I am not allowed any attachments to a post, or at least at the time of the original post. The owners manual I received with the car did NOT give any maintenence schedule at all, the dealer confirmed that with me. The idea of the dealer trying to sell me things I do not need came true when they told me i needed a four wheel alignment ($268) and a cabin air filter ($152) at 21,000 miles. I did NOT need the alignment and i purchased a cabin air filter for $11 at a local auto parts national chain. I have no hidden agenda, nor would I accuse anyone else of having one. I have emailed the schedule to one individual from this post, one other person requested it but i deleted their email address by mistake.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:14 PM
mattyj - you've been around since 2007. Take part in the freakworld. Share with all. Cut and past the bugger into a post, no need for attachments. I, as well as many others, would like to see what you got.

Many are confounded by Honda's lack of a maintenance schedule and service dept charges. No arguments here.

K_C_

Quick Reply: Recommended/Required warranty maintenance