General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Eh, I have a problem...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 02:39 PM
Eh, I have a problem...

So, I bought floormats for my sport from Bernardi. I see that they have to be installed (I know nothing about doing this stuff). I called the dealer and am waiting for a callback.

I'm probably going to get charged for it. How much is a decent price?

Old 05-26-2006, 02:43 PM
My opinion, not worth paying dealer anything for it. It's really simple to install; trust me. Heck, I'll do it for you for a can of soda! Also I know most people here don't even have the hooks installed; they just put it on the floor and it works fine.
Bottom line, if the dealer is going to charge money for it, do it yourself. If you really don't want to do it yourself, get a friend to do it, or don't install at all.

Old 05-26-2006, 02:47 PM
The directions make it look waaaay more complicated than it really is. I did it myself and it really is easy. If you can cut with a knife and push a plug into an electric socket, you can do this. Like a knife, use a box cutter to cut away the carpet (and the places to cut are already started for you). Pull out the carpet and pad from where you cut. Push the clip into the hole, fold the plastic tab in on the clip, and you're done. Really - don't let the directions put you off. You can do it!

Old 05-26-2006, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by choro72
My opinion, not worth paying dealer anything for it. It's really simple to install; trust me. Heck, I'll do it for you for a can of soda! Also I know most people here don't even have the hooks installed; they just put it on the floor and it works fine.
Bottom line, if the dealer is going to charge money for it, do it yourself. If you really don't want to do it yourself, get a friend to do it, or don't install at all.
First, I don't see you traveling across country to install floor mats

Second, I installed only the driver's side mat hooks. 99% of the time it is just me in my car, so the other mats aren't going to move anyway.

Third, it took me all of about three minutes to install the driver's side hooks. I didn't even have to cut anything, as everything was perforated and I just pulled it loose with my fingers - carpet, under mat, insulation. Rather simple!

Old 05-26-2006, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by wyy183
First, I don't see you traveling across country to install floor mats
Hehe, get me a plane ticket and I'm there!! Any excuse to to the East Coast...

Everyone is correct. The instruction make it seem more complicated.

Old 05-26-2006, 04:42 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
I have the all weather floor mats and I didn't install the clips. they work great with out

Old 05-26-2006, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dougiepants
I have the all weather floor mats and I didn't install the clips. they work great with out
Ditto. There is NO NEED for the clips. I have the all season floormats and they haven't moved one inch. The backs have nubs, which is enough to hold them from moving. Don't waste the time, effort, or money to have pieces of your carpet removed to have cheap plastic clips installed.

At least try them without the clips to see if they move, before you go and pay a dealer.

Old 05-26-2006, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
You really must learn more DIY stuff. Start w/floormats, pretty soon you'll be installing splash guards and then doing your own starter.
But really, I'm only half kidding you, I'm a female and unless you wanna rely on other people forever and have to wait till they got the time for you, you gotta get under the hood sometimes. Just follow the instructions, I know it seems daunting but sometimes it's not really.

Old 05-26-2006, 07:56 PM
yeah i was a little bit confused when i read the directions. "you want me to CUT my brand new car?!?!?!". Turns out the "carpet" that is in the car is actually preforated where you need to cut the holes. I didnt even really need the knife. I just used my finger to punch in the little flap. Then you just pull out the insulation and proceed.

Old 05-26-2006, 08:41 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Don't install them. I did w/ mine, and it's pointless. The only reason they're installable is just an extra opportunity for honda to make money off you.

I installed mine,and i realized i should not have. Why? The 4th mat (the rear left one) actually doesn't have hooks. It's the only one you just *put* there. The other 3 u gotta cut and shove hooks in holes. I thought it's odd cuz the rear left and right are symmetrical, but only the right one has hooks.