General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

This is probably going to sound stupid...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 07:43 PM
This is probably going to sound stupid...

I have an automatic sport with the paddle shifters.
I have no idea how to drive a stick, so how would I use the paddle shifters?
Eh, I know this makes me sound like a tool I'm sure...Sorry!

Old 05-25-2006, 07:50 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
i think you put it in S and use em like that or somethin IDK

Old 05-25-2006, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
Put your car in S, take off, watch your tachometer. When the RPMs get to your desired shift point squeeze the plus paddle to shift into a higher gear. Repeat until you reach your desired speed. When slowing down you can brake until RPMs go down then squeeze the minus paddle to downshift to give yourself some engine braking. Do this slowly until you get the feel for it. This will let you control shifting and engine RPM while driving. D mode does all of this for you.

Old 05-25-2006, 08:10 PM
When you are driving in S mode, shifting with the paddles are awsome. When coming to a stop if you don't downshift on your own when you get below 15 mph, the transmission shifts back to 1st gear on its own. So, if you forget to downshift, it does it for you. Have fun!!!

Old 05-25-2006, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by supergoose34
When you are driving in S mode, shifting with the paddles are awsome. When coming to a stop if you don't downshift on your own when you get below 15 mph, the transmission shifts back to 1st gear on its own. So, if you forget to downshift, it does it for you. Have fun!!!
OMG sounds sooo fun. sounds like a lambo to me :P

Old 05-25-2006, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by Okietom
Put your car in S, take off, watch your tachometer. When the RPMs get to your desired shift point squeeze the plus paddle to shift into a higher gear. Repeat until you reach your desired speed. When slowing down you can brake until RPMs go down then squeeze the minus paddle to downshift to give yourself some engine braking. Do this slowly until you get the feel for it. This will let you control shifting and engine RPM while driving. D mode does all of this for you.
Thank-you! OK, to now sound even more stupid...

If I screw up, does the car's computer kick in? Or am I screwed?

Old 05-26-2006, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member
If you forget to downshift the computer will put it back into first gear for you.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:29 AM
5 Year Member
will it let you down shift into too low of a gear?

Old 05-26-2006, 01:44 AM
5 Year Member
Don't know that answer. Just guessing I would say no.

Old 05-26-2006, 02:16 AM
Master FitFreaker
just shift everytime u redline that bitch lmao

Old 05-26-2006, 02:23 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by IBTG81

choose a RPM limit. for me, if you want great mileage, I upshift after 2500. But recently i've been getting impatient so i want more speed, so i upshift at 3500. The later you upshift, the more gas you waste but faster your ucar will accelerate.

Note that horsepower is maxed at around 4800 or 5000, so if you wanan sprint, you won't benefit if your RPM is higher than this so this would be a good upshift point too.

Also, lower shifts accerlaate (and decelerate via engine braking) best, and wastes most gas in a per MPH basis, while higher shifts accelerate and engine brake slowest, but saves more gas per MPH.

but driving w/ low RPM saving gas is only true if the floor is level. When you climb hills, you should be aroiund 3000. If it's too low, it might even burn more gas, so downshift cuz you can summon more torque per engine effort (torque= how easy it is to acceleate a car).

One more note: when you upshift, ur RPMs go down. each RPM at each gear correspondds to a miles per hour. At a given mph, the RPM is lower as you go up the gears (i.e. at 25 mph, 1st gear is ~4000rpm, 2nd is ~2500rpm, and 3th is ~1500rpm). when you downshift, your RPM goes up. So if you are driving at 2500 and you encounter a steep hill, you should downshift .

Old 05-27-2006, 02:30 AM
Gordio: that was super helpful, thanks!

Old 05-27-2006, 02:42 AM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by aziatiklover
just shift everytime u redline that bitch lmao
you gotta have skillz for that...i know i taken mine there already

Old 05-27-2006, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the great tips on the paddle shifters, Gordio & Okietom! Traffic is almost always heavy and since I've hardly ever driven MT, I've been afraid to mess with them. As usual everyone goes out of their way to help. Fit Forum people never treat a question as stupid. Everyone seems to have the same goal -- to make sure we all have a great time and get the most out of our new cars! IBTG81 -- glad you asked the question. There's always someone else (like me) who will benefit from the answers.

Old 05-28-2006, 10:07 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Man, if mine wasnt M/T i'd have a blast with the paddle shifters!!! i love hittin up curves!!! but oh well just as fun with M/T. But remeber to all their own and just have fun trying out the paddles!

Old 05-28-2006, 11:50 AM
My Jazz is AT with paddle shifter.
On the steering wheel youl find a button that says 7 speed. hit that button and you turn your low consumption slump into a thirsty beast. i drove the same car with a Header, exhaust system and air filter and by god does it move with the paddle shifters. Changes gears really quick as well.

Go on a quite road and experiment, belive me you'll have great fun.

Old 05-28-2006, 01:09 PM
Someone that Posts too much
You can also use the paddle shifter when in D-mode. Use it for engine braking or for passing.

Also, i find that getting to the desired speed quicker seems to give higher MPG compare to slowly going up the RPM and staying there too long. The sooner i get to my desired speed the sooner the RPM's go down to cruising #'s.

Old 05-28-2006, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by GoFit
You can also use the paddle shifter when in D-mode. Use it for engine braking or for passing.

Also, i find that getting to the desired speed quicker seems to give higher MPG compare to slowly going up the RPM and staying there too long. The sooner i get to my desired speed the sooner the RPM's go down to cruising #'s.
Totaly agree with ya mate. Get to the desiered speed and then cruse... i do the exact same. more fun that way as well

Old 05-28-2006, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by IBTG81

Nope. The system will not allow you to downshift too early, so you don't have to worry about leaving your transmission on the road behind you. Aside from that, you'll know if you're doing it to soon, if you tap the downshift button, and it suddenly feels like you hit your brakes (due to what's called "engine braking").

Old 05-28-2006, 08:11 PM
Master FitFreaker
Originally Posted by Paulo107
you gotta have skillz for that...i know i taken mine there already
lucky u I cant wait to redline mine

Quick Reply: This is probably going to sound stupid...