General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Almost sold on Fit...talk me out of it!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
Almost sold on Fit...talk me out of it!

Looking at getting a used Fit. Currently, I drive a Ford Ranger, getting 18mpg city, 22 highway. Moving for graduate school in a few months, and I'll be driving 60 miles a day, so I can save up to two thousand dollars with a car that gets gas mileage in the 30's.

I need a big cargo area because I'm a scuba diver. Truck is perfect for diving, but the Fit should work out pretty well.

I need manual transmission because driving automatic after learning on a stick has killed me the last three years!

I need awesome gas mileage.

I'm looking at used Fit's from the 2007 era, because those are cheaper than new ones by a long shot (Around $10k seems to be the standard, for a Sport kit) Is there any big reason that I will be disappointed with an "older" Fit? I like some of the new storage options, but not sure that an extra compartment or two is worth $8000 or more.

I've spent the last 24 hours reading tons of threads on here, but can't find references to anyone using a Fit as a dive vehicle. Surely I'm not the only one...can any divers talk me into or out of this vehicle? (floor mats-- I know they make them just for the cargo area, but can't find anyone talking about a mat that would cover the cargo area including the backs of the seats that are folded down. Do these exist?)

Thanks for the wonderful resource here, you've already got me basically sold on this car, but wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts specifically for me that would help sway me finally!

Last edited by JahJahwarrior; 04-30-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JahJahwarrior
I've spent the last 24 hours reading tons of threads on here, but can't find references to anyone using a Fit as a dive vehicle. Surely I'm not the only one...can any divers talk me into or out of this vehicle? (floor mats-- I know they make them just for the cargo area, but can't find anyone talking about a mat that would cover the cargo area including the backs of the seats that are folded down. Do these exist?)
I'm no diver but I think the Fit is perfect for what you have in mind.

However I don't think there are floor mats that also cover the rear seat backs when folded. You might have to get that done custom. I'm thinking a full, uncut rubber lining - from cargo floor to rear seat back - would be right up your alley.

Just watch out for the hinge that enables the rear seat backs to fold down flat. Since I'd imagine scuba tanks and wetsuits will drag water along with them after use, that's one area where water could conceivably seep in and promote rust. On my GD the hinge area is covered with carpet, but the plastic pins that hold it down have come loose.

My two cents

Last edited by Type 100; 05-01-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:44 AM
a fit forum probably isnt the best place to be talked out of buying a fit (the title of the post anyways)... At any rate, you should buy the fit because the fit meets your requirements:

I need a big cargo area because I'm a scuba diver.
CHECK!
I need manual transmission because driving automatic after learning on a stick has killed me the last three years!
CHECK!
I need awesome gas mileage.
CHECK!

Old 05-01-2010, 01:11 AM
I've done some diving in mine. It works fine and could accommodate two people with four tanks and gear, although I've just used it for myself. I got a $20 rug that fits the back perfectly with the seats down. I just fold it in half when the seats are up. I use a plastic basket for the stuff that holds water (drysuit/wetsuit, hood, gloves, boots, bc) and that keeps it from getting things wet.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:21 AM
5 Year Member
Any reason I'll really regret getting a used 2006 or 2007, over a newer model?

Old 05-01-2010, 11:38 AM
The 2007 and 2008 models are pretty much identical except for a very minor couple of things such as the lack of TMPS sensors on the 07. Other than that both are built off of an amazing platform that has been in production since 2000 in Japan when the Fit launched there.

The only thing you may want to check out other than the car's regular maintenence is if the car had gone in for the recent recall on the window toggle switch in the driver's door. Supposedly when bombarted with water the internal switch can get wet and fail. I have not even heard of anyone who has had this issue though.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member
I would recommend you at least getting a rear cargo tray. It has a nice sized lip that should help if you get any water..protect your carpet, floor, etc.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
The reality is The Fit is a compact. It's not a pick-up. I now own a new Fit and in the past I owned small pick-ups. The Fit is amazingly versatile as far as configurable cargo area. My guess is you could probably find a way to fit your gear into a Fit. However it's not an open bed of a pick-up.

You seem to have a pretty good handle on what the Fit will offer...versatility and better gas mileage. I think you've got it. The only thing I'd say, while cargo capacity for a vehicle it's size is amazing, ultimately it's NOT a pick-up. If Diving is a big part of your life....you might want to experiment with the configurations of The Fit.

You'll be gaining better gas mileage, I think better handling and lots of versatility. You can even have back seats and back seat passengers. As an ex-small pick-up owner, The Fit is amazing but doesn't match an open 6ft bed of a pick-up for pure cargo capacity.

If you are buying used from either a dealer or a private party, you might ask if you can just "experiment" with loading some of your gear in The Fit. With the fold up magic seats and the low load floor and flat surface if you fold down the 60/40 passenger seats...it takes some experimentation to see "how" things might best load into a Fit. If it's going to be your only vehicle and diving is a big part of your life, just make sure that it can facilitate your needs in that department. In my limited experience with The Fit, I'd say it probably can, but since it is NOT a pick-up, make sure, otherwise your time with The Fit will be short lived.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Go for it! You won't regret your purchase.

Also, it would be pretty easy to make your own full coverage mat for the cargo area.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
The only thing that i don't like with the GD (07-08) vs. the GE (09-) is that you have to move the front seats to fold down the backseat... but if you don't plan to use the backseat, the older model will be perfect!!!

Old 05-01-2010, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
The only real gain you will get from buying new is appearance. You can get a new sport for ~16k + t&L, but if you can land a used one for under 10k that's awesome. People around me in CA were asking a mint for used ones, so I wen't with a new one.

If you happen to be financing your purchase, you might actually be better off with a new one due to finance rates too.

I would recommend other cars like an Element, matrix/vibe, etc, but they don't get the same mileage.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
An old friend of mine actually reminded me that she had a Fit. She is a diver, and she's gotten two people's gear in a Fit before. I don't use up an entire bed of my pickup, and can fit a lot of stuff in the cab if I remove a passenger seat, so I think the Fit will work.

Found one a about an hour away, $8970 for a 2008 base model. Seems like a good deal, going to see about it on Monday.

The back seats, I might even just remove them entirely...

Can anyone telll me about tiedown points in the back? Is there a way to strap things in? Also, security. I'm going to Miami...when the back seats are folded down, can I put things on the floor easily and keep them out of sight?

Old 05-01-2010, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
There are hooks on the '09-'10 but not sure on the '08 and prior.

Hey one other car you might consider because of your price target is the Nissan Versa Hatch. For me, if it came down between a new 2010 versa or a used ~$10k Fit I'd go with the versa. You can get them for about 11k brand spankin new on special.. just check your local dealers print ads. Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Banned
Well you asked me to talk you out of it so:

if you get a Fit everyone will think you're gay

Old 05-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I came from a 1996 Ford Ranger XLT to the Fit and it was a pretty easy transition. The only thing I had to get use to was the ease of parking because the Ranger was a long bed. The Fit has more pickup and power than the Ranger and is a lot more fun to drive. You will definitely have all the room you need to haul your equipment in. I love going for groceries with the Fit and using both the hatch and the folding back seats. Get the Fit - you will love it.

Cat :x

Old 05-01-2010, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gbaby2089
Well you asked me to talk you out of it so:
if you get a Fit everyone will think you're gay
Why would that be a con? Didn't you know we're all gay here?

Well known fact.

Last edited by jondotcom; 05-01-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Banned
hahha good point good point

Old 05-01-2010, 06:32 PM
5 Year Member
Yay for gay!

Old 05-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Banned
in the words of DMX

'I don't show no love to homo thugs'

Old 05-01-2010, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah...this guy looks straight, LOL

LOL PLEASE CLICK THIS LINK FOR LAUGHTER!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUCbPvP5H9k

Last edited by Btrthnezr3; 05-01-2010 at 06:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Almost sold on Fit...talk me out of it!