General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Almost sold on Fit...talk me out of it!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Banned
i don't think that's dmx

tat doesn't match

Old 05-01-2010, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
Nah, it's not him...it was just a funny picture.

Click the LINK!!

LMAO!

Old 05-01-2010, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
Get it

I have an 08 and 09. They both have four tie-down hooks in the back. I wouldn't take out the back seats... you don't need to. Plus, the back seats form the flat bottom of the storage when down. Just remove the headrests in back and leave them stored in your house. I don't know if you have an Ocean State Job Lot Store near you. It's a discount store and you can get a nice heavy rubber rug for the back for less than $20. But, I know that even with the chairs up and the seat bottoms up you can easily fit two tanks and additional gear on the floor behind the front seats. An we all get great gas mileage. Both my MT Fits get over 35 mpg every single tank... all calculated. Have fun.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:53 PM
Thumbs up

Hey, you've read alot about the car, take the "plunge"

The older Fit's have that cool front seat set up that turns into a lounge chair, perfect after a day of diving and getting in a little "cat nap"

I can't see a reason to NOT get one, fun little car, easy to park and drive and cheap to own, what's not to like, not to mention this forum to help out with stuff, perfect!

Old 05-01-2010, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
i say go for it...maybe even think about mine

Old 05-01-2010, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JahJahwarrior
An old friend of mine actually reminded me that she had a Fit. She is a diver, and she's gotten two people's gear in a Fit before. I don't use up an entire bed of my pickup, and can fit a lot of stuff in the cab if I remove a passenger seat, so I think the Fit will work.

Found one a about an hour away, $8970 for a 2008 base model. Seems like a good deal, going to see about it on Monday.

The back seats, I might even just remove them entirely...

Can anyone telll me about tiedown points in the back? Is there a way to strap things in? Also, security. I'm going to Miami...when the back seats are folded down, can I put things on the floor easily and keep them out of sight?
On my GD1 Jazz, there are four tie-down hooks bolted to the floor of the cargo hatch area, on the sides. I bought a couple of hooked bungee cords to lash down any loads I don't want shifting about when I'm driving. They work like a charm, even for long loads.

The only downside is there aren't any tie-down hooks behind the rear seat backs when folded. If your load is mostly small things and it extends all the way up to the folded rear seats, the stock rear tie-down hooks won't be enough.

Regarding keeping things hidden, I think dark tint is your answer.

HTH!

Old 05-02-2010, 04:17 AM
GE base doesnt have hooks, i believe

Old 05-02-2010, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
i think the OP should get an Element. It will fit his lifestyle much better.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HONDAMATIC
GE base doesnt have hooks, i believe
Oh, there's no provision for adding them on a base GE later on? I was thinking maybe you could buy them later from the dealers?

Old 05-03-2010, 12:54 AM
i have a friend who dives and she drives a Pontiac Vibe. ill have to get her to check the fit out and see what she thinks of it as a diver.

and possibly get a pic of it loaded up

Old 05-03-2010, 01:21 AM
eh i get bad and good remarks of the fit from other non fit people. if you're gonna fix it up, its not the way to go, im hypocrittical right now cause mines fixed up and i get made fun of it cause my car doesnt go anywhere ( not fast, all show). but on the other hand if your gonna use it as a stock vehical daily commute, its all good, get it! Just dont expect it to be fast, expect cheaap paint rock chips and hood fading.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:59 AM
when the back seats are folded down, can I put things on the floor easily and keep them out of sight?
You cannot...the way the trick seats collapse completely flat, there isn't any space on the floor beneath them. Tinting the windows is an option, or you could borrow a page from the Canadian-spec playbook...leave your spare tire home and use the well for storage.

Anyway, it seems like a good fit if you only have to carry 2 people plus gear. You will probably have to do some DIY to get adequate protection on the upholstery. There is a DIY on the 2009+ general forum about cutting industrial floor mats to fit, but they won't have a lip to catch drippings...this seems like one of the situations where such a lip might be critical.

The suggestion to check out the Element is a good idea since it has rubberized floors and neoprene seats that are ok to get wet. Also available with AWD which could be helpful if you ever drive on the beach. The downside of the Element...gas mileage not so great, not as enjoyable to drive, visibility not as good, almost impossible to get in M/T. Also quite a bit more expensive than the Fit. A $10k used Element would probably be a few years older than a $10k used Fit. I lusted after the Element for many years (I don't dive, but I do a lot of paddling/surfing...or at least I did when I was younger...) and test drove the Element and Fit and grudgingly admitted that I just plain liked the Fit better...even if the price were equal I'd have chosen the Fit.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
Picked up a Fit today

Hood has damage from love bugs, it looks like...a few scratches, to be expected with a used car. Overall, in great shape.

I don't dive on the beach, I cave dive, so all my gear can be somewhat dried before putting back. I'm going to pick up some tubs from Lowes for cement mixing to put my wet gear in. I'll get some industrial mats soon too.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Congrats! be careful spelunking!

Old 05-03-2010, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
yeah way to many girls drive fits

Old 05-03-2010, 07:48 PM
theres like 4 old ladies where i live that all drive an si. dif years tho haaha

Old 05-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Type 100
Oh, there's no provision for adding them on a base GE later on? I was thinking maybe you could buy them later from the dealers?
you can buy the hooks and add them on

Old 05-03-2010, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
Picked up a Fit today

Hood has damage from love bugs, it looks like...a few scratches, to be expected with a used car. Overall, in great shape.

I don't dive on the beach, I cave dive, so all my gear can be somewhat dried before putting back. I'm going to pick up some tubs from Lowes for cement mixing to put my wet gear in. I'll get some industrial mats soon too.
Congratulations Post photos!

I'd like to see what you do with the car's interior to accommodate your wet dive gear.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Perfect car for you, it sounds like

Old 05-16-2010, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
So far, loving my Fit! Dive gear fits with lots of extra room. More difficult to put in than the truck, but after one dive trip, I have some ideas on how to shove it in that I think will make it pretty easy to dive out of. Even on the first trip, it wasn't difficult. I need to find somewhere to stash keys, or figure out if I can get a valet key made...I remember reading that you couldn't, but if I could, that would be awesome.

Even loaded down with all my gear (Technical diving, so lots of steel tanks, and a scooter...probably 3-400 pounds of gear all said and done, so like carrying several people) I got 40 mpg, with my average after a thousand miles (yeah, a thousand miles in 2 weeks...) being 38mpg.

Today, I went with some friends to some harder to get to sites. Everything was just dandy, with lots of bumpy dirt roads, until they turned down this one side road that wasn't so much a road as, a car wide area without trees...there were several big ruts and tree branches, and some places you had to drive over some tall crap, like grass and weeds and small baby trees a foot or two high. My buddies were in an F-150, and they later told me they thought that I'd get stuck and need help. Nope. Fit powered through everything. Didn't even seem to scratch the front bumper.

Quick Reply: Almost sold on Fit...talk me out of it!