General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

premium or regular gas ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 09:43 PM
premium or regular gas ?

i know the manual says to use 87 or higher but with gas prices these days does anyone actually use premium for there fit? and if so are there really any beneFITS that you notice ?performence? gas mileage? smoother ride?

Old 04-25-2010, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
I've only used 87 octane gasoline and the gas mileage and performance is just fine. In my Harley, on occasion I may fill up with the highest octane available and can honestly say I see no difference.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
87 only. No benefit with the higher grades so I don't waste my money.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:55 PM
I've been using premium since I got the Fit. I don't really care if there are any noticeable benefits, but I figure at 2 bucks per tank it's not a huge expenditure, and I shouldn't ever have to worry about knocking.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:03 AM
I figure the manufacturer of the vehicle is smarter about these matters than I am. What does the owners manual say?????

Old 04-26-2010, 01:12 AM
5 Year Member
i thought the Fit was designed to work best with 87

Old 04-26-2010, 01:23 AM
5 Year Member
doesn't using fuel higher than the recommended octane level(87) foul the injectors or something like that?

Old 04-26-2010, 01:34 AM
5 Year Member
ive been using premium shell or premium chevron since I got my car. nothing less. no problems or knocking or pinging or any weird noises that some owners of the GEs are experiencing. i am at 15,000 miles already.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:48 AM
Originally Posted by AnlDyxp_GD3
doesn't using fuel higher than the recommended octane level(87) foul the injectors or something like that?
^BINGO^

Originally Posted by Fitcious
ive been using premium shell or premium chevron since I got my car. nothing less. no problems or knocking or pinging or any weird noises that some owners of the GEs are experiencing. i am at 15,000 miles already.
knocking and pinging? i'd imagine cause the fuel isn't burning.

there's no reason to put premium gas in an engine designed for regular (unless you've tuned it accordingly). it isn't magically better performing, its harder to burn.

compression and heat is enough to ignite the fuel/air in the cylinder in the right conditions.

like a diesel engine with glow plugs instead of spark plugs. diesel engines run a at low compression ratio, and the diesel is easy enough to burn that it can rely more compression to ignite.

or the old car with crappy timing that manages to keep running a few seconds after you take the key out. the plugs aren't sparking, but the rotational inertia of the crank and the heat in the cylinders manages to ignite the mixture to get a few extra revolutions out.

you'll always see premium gas accompanied by high compression and aggressive timing, not because its magically powerful, but because that's when you don't want the gas to burn until its just the right moment.

running premium wont make your car faster. it'll just leave carbon deposits from the unburned moles of fuel.

it's kinda like feeding chocolate to a dog. the s**t is just to rich for the little guy.

Last edited by chrisakasparky; 04-26-2010 at 02:54 AM. Reason: quotes!
Old 04-26-2010, 03:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by chrisakasparky
^BINGO^

there's no reason to put premium gas in an engine designed for regular (unless you've tuned it accordingly). it isn't magically better performing, its harder to burn.

compression and heat is enough to ignite the fuel/air in the cylinder in the right conditions.

like a diesel engine with glow plugs instead of spark plugs. diesel engines run a at low compression ratio, and the diesel is easy enough to burn that it can rely more compression to ignite.

or the old car with crappy timing that manages to keep running a few seconds after you take the key out. the plugs aren't sparking, but the rotational inertia of the crank and the heat in the cylinders manages to ignite the mixture to get a few extra revolutions out.

you'll always see premium gas accompanied by high compression and aggressive timing, not because its magically powerful, but because that's when you don't want the gas to burn until its just the right moment.

running premium wont make your car faster. it'll just leave carbon deposits from the unburned moles of fuel.

it's kinda like feeding chocolate to a dog. the s**t is just to rich for the little guy.
cool. that's what I thought. LOL. Just a waste of money. Save the extra 2 bucks per tank for when you go FI. You'll be needing that extra 2 bucks than

Old 04-26-2010, 08:51 AM
5 Year Member
The owners manual says to use nothing less than 87 octane fuel, they don't even sell anything as low as 87 in Europe or Asian countries where Fits were sold for years before they started arriving here 4 years ago.... The engines of the cars sold here have a 10.4:1 compression ratio and the ECU will adjust to work with fuel with an octane rating of no less than 87 but it also adjust to benefit from octane ratings that are not even sold here.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
The owners manual says to use nothing less than 87 octane fuel, they don't even sell anything as low as 87 in Europe or Asian countries where Fits were sold for years before they started arriving here 4 years ago.... The engines of the cars sold here have a 10.4:1 compression ratio and the ECU will adjust to work with fuel with an octane rating of no less than 87 but it also adjust to benefit from octane ratings that are not even sold here.
you say the ecu can adjust itself to take advantage of higher octane? didn't know it could do that.

i guess i have no room to talk about buying the expensive stuff just because its expensive anyways; i'm running royal purple.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:36 PM
^BINGO^

Thats great to know. Especially since i just filled up a half an hour ago lol. 87 only. 6.98 gallons for $20.25. I LOVE it! That little 10 gallon tank cracks me up.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
you say the ecu can adjust itself to take advantage of higher octane? didn't know it could do that.

i guess i have no room to talk about buying the expensive stuff just because its expensive anyways; i'm running royal purple.
As far as I know some "premium fuel only" cars have some sort of anti-knocking sensor that does adjust the ECU. That prevents the knocking if you put in 87 octane instead of the suggested 91. But I don't know if the Fit has this sensor, nor if it works the otherway around(using 91 instead of 87).

Old 04-26-2010, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by maryannsfit
Thats great to know. Especially since i just filled up a half an hour ago lol. 87 only. 6.98 gallons for $20.25. I LOVE it! That little 10 gallon tank cracks me up.
HAHA. I think we all love this. Before the Fit, I drove a 01 Nissan Xterra 4x4 with a 6" lift. I was paying 60 bucks for a full tank that would only last 180miles. Now I get an extra 100 miles at half the cost of the tank. Its evil! LOL!

Old 04-26-2010, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
I've always used regular (87) octane and will keep using it. There's no use pumping premium octane in our Fits.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
i put premium in once only because the pump was apparently broken and only letting 91 be pumped. It seemed like i got more mpg, but that could also be in my head, thinking that i it was better bc of the gas, and not my driving habits. I always use 87, prices are too high for anything else.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
Go premium if your ride has FI (turbo or super charged). Otherwise regular should be ok, the difference won't be noticeable if at all. If you want to feel better, just get regular, and send me the difference for the premium gas. I'll happily spend the extra $$$ for you.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:44 PM
wow thanks for the great replys .i will be sticking to regular to it seems like everybodys on the same page that premium is a waste of money for the fit.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
i only put 87oct only.. no need to add premium.

Quick Reply: premium or regular gas ?