General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

OMG!!! I'm a Blaze Orange Fit Owner!! 5/22

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by Mazee
Karyn, I meant to ask, what are these paddles you and others are talking about? Can you direct me to a picture since I'm way curious?

I found this on the Honda Fit site. You can see the paddle sticking up from behind the steering wheel just above that guys thumb. The actual paddle is much bigger behind the wheel. What does it do? When you shift the Fit Sport into sport mode and trigger either of the 2 the paddles it basically turns your auto transmission into a manual transmission when you want it to be. The car won't shift until you press the paddles. There are Two paddles, one on each side of the steering wheel. The left one shifts the gears down and the right shifts the gears up.

It was hard deciding between thte actual MT and the AT/paddles, they are both so nice, but we chose the paddles because it still feels just as fast as the MT to me. I would have been equally as happy with either one in the end, but the paddles were pretty cool so I went with them.

Last edited by Karyn; 05-24-2006 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:33 PM
Hmmm, that's really interesting. Is this a new invention by Honda, or has it been around a long time? Never heard of it!!

It just looks like a little round thing on a chain to me! lol But I realize I'm not seeing the whole picture.

Old 05-24-2006, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
Hmmm, that's really interesting. Is this a new invention by Honda, or has it been around a long time? Never heard of it!!

It just looks like a little round thing on a chain to me! lol But I realize I'm not seeing the whole picture.
paddle shifting has actually been around for quite a while but has been found mainly on higher end exotics.

Old 05-24-2006, 02:42 PM

My guy tells me alot of other cars have manual features like this on their automatic transmissions, but most don't come close to being as good as the one on the Fit and aren't located on the steering wheel.

Old 05-26-2006, 11:49 PM
Someone that Posts too much
Mazee any update?

Old 05-26-2006, 11:57 PM
Hi, guys!! I've been so flippin busy I haven't even looked in over here for a few days.

I brought my car home yesterday after they finished with the tinting. Have driven once to Walmart and once to the health food store by myself, but I'm still way too nervous and manage to kill the engine when maneuvering stop signs. I think it's just nerves, because during my fourth and last lesson I did really really well; it's just going it alone which is getting to me. I'll make myself drive it every day until I'm comfortable.

I love my beautiful baby, though!!

Old 05-27-2006, 12:11 AM
Someone that Posts too much
Hi, guys!! I've been so flippin busy I haven't even looked in over here for a few days.

I brought my car home yesterday after they finished with the tinting. Have driven once to Walmart and once to the health food store by myself, but I'm still way too nervous and manage to kill the engine when maneuvering stop signs. I think it's just nerves, because during my fourth and last lesson I did really really well; it's just going it alone which is getting to me. I'll make myself drive it every day until I'm comfortable.

I love my beautiful baby, though!!
I went through the samething, so you see! You're not alone.

Old 05-27-2006, 12:19 AM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Karyn
My guy tells me alot of other cars have manual features like this on their automatic transmissions, but most don't come close to being as good as the one on the Fit and aren't located on the steering wheel.
for its class yes, but not compared to the higher end vehicles or exotics

Old 05-27-2006, 12:22 AM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
mazee i would have liked to have an blaze orange MT, but i settled for the black...soon in time as the more you drive the more you get used to it...i learned when i was 13 in my brothers 5.0 mustang just watching him shift...then i got to drive and it was real simple for me...no matter how older you get you will get the hang of it and become a pro...then take it to the track

Old 05-27-2006, 12:23 AM
Master FitFreaker
I'm getting the orange auto one in 2 weeks

Old 05-27-2006, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by GoFit
I went through the samething, so you see! You're not alone.
Well, thank God!! Sometimes I think my nerves are going to get the best of me!!

I so rarely get out of my comfort zone, that my friends were totally shocked when I told them tonight that I had bought an MT. I didn't drive it, though, but promised I would drive it to church Sunday, where I'll see them all, if I get in a little more practice tomorrow and feel comfortable enough to drive it that far from home. I got some gentle ribbing about buying a car but being too chicken to actually drive it!

I just don't want to be foolhardy, and I'm taking everyone's advice to take it slow. And I'd hate for anyone at church to see me go lurching out of the parking lot. lmao

You guys rock!