General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

OMG!!! I'm a Blaze Orange Fit Owner!! 5/22

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bukwheat
If there's one thing you need when learning to drive a manual, it's "patiencne".

1st gear and Reverse are always the hardest, therefore, needs to be taken slowly. The rest of the gears are easy casue you're already in motion. Here's my simple tutorial that nearly fool proof (no pun intended):

-at a complete stop (of course), make sure you're in neutral and press the clutch. For a beginner, you're better off pressing the clutch completely rather than at the "sweet" spot.
-while the clutch is being pressed, go to 1st gear (or Reverse if you're backing up).
-slowly add some pressure to the gas pedal, but only until you can hear the engine rev slightly. Hold the gas pedal at that spot. If you can't hear the engine rev, just look at your RPM tach (about 500rpms is all you'll need)
-slowly release the clutch and the car will slowly start to move, but only at the speed at which you're holding with your gas pedal (hence the "hold")....of which should be equivilant to an AT rolling on 'D' without any gas. Once in motion and your clutch is completely released, you can then slowly add more pressure on the gas pedal and your off!
very well said

Old 05-23-2006, 12:40 AM
I mentioned 'patience' cause everyone rushes 1st gear...probably more so because of fear. The important thing is to take it slow and it'll be easy as pie.

The "sweet spot" is where you start to use a bit more pressure when pressing the clutch pedal. Usually, right when you press on your clutch pedal, you'll feel this tiny gap before your foot sences that it needs to add a bit more pressure. The 'gap' is basically the clutch cable tightening up, getting ready to pull on the clutch. The tightness after the 'gap' is the "sweet spot" cause your clutch is engaged at that point, so you don't have to press down on the clutch pedal completely to change gears after 1st....or even at 1st, when you get better at it.

Last edited by Bukwheat; 05-23-2006 at 12:45 AM.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:43 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
The fit MT should treat you nicely... try learning on a stiff '79 Volvo station wagon (my car... still!), or a '72 Super Beetle (my wife's first). Good luck!

Old 05-23-2006, 01:46 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
hahahaha awsome welcome to the pack...!!! haha, even thoguh i own a mr fit

Old 05-23-2006, 02:13 AM
Originally Posted by Bukwheat
The "sweet spot" is where you start to use a bit more pressure when pressing the clutch pedal. Usually, right when you press on your clutch pedal, you'll feel this tiny gap before your foot sences that it needs to add a bit more pressure. The 'gap' is basically the clutch cable tightening up, getting ready to pull on the clutch. The tightness after the 'gap' is the "sweet spot" cause your clutch is engaged at that point, so you don't have to press down on the clutch pedal completely to change gears after 1st....or even at 1st, when you get better at it.
Correction....actually, you can't use the "sweet spot" on 1st gear cause of the safety mechanism (car jumping or lunging forward). You have to fully press the clutch to start the car. But any gear after 1st is fine.

Old 05-23-2006, 04:56 AM
When I was 16, my then boyfriend/now husband, taught me on a then 1966 Chevy Malibu. One week later, I took my road test on it. Of course I was 16, and am now 55 and haven't driven a stick since David's 1969 Malibu SS. That was until my Fit test drive. OMG,what have I done, all these years forsakeing the MT for AT????? Just like riding a bike, you never forget. That sweet Orange color is a natural for my state Florida!!!!!! Anywho, ballsy move, but you will LOVE a MT. You go girl!!

Old 05-23-2006, 06:00 AM
Work on slowly letting the clutch pedal out until you can get the vehicle to move forward at a couple miles per hour in 1st gear without touching the accelerator. If the vehicle stalls, it is no big deal. Just push the clutch pedal in, and restart the engine.

You know, I've never actually tried that one after 17 years of driving a stick. I always give it a tiny bit of gas in 1st.

Old 05-23-2006, 10:34 AM
Lynda, I've never been called "ballsy" before; thanks for the laugh before I head out in a few for lesson #2.

Wish me luck, guys; I've been second-guessing myself a bit this morning and wondering if I made a huge mistake. Hopefully this session will be a reassurance and not the opposite!

Old 05-23-2006, 11:43 AM
You can handle it! When you're 70 you'll be the Little Old Lady from Pasadena.
(Sorry Beach Boys!)

Old 05-23-2006, 12:15 PM
Time and practice will make it a thoughtless exercise. But its hardest at the beginning. The more frequently you practice the faster you learn and easier it gets.

Old 05-23-2006, 12:18 PM
By the way the MT on the Fit BEGS to be spanked!! It is too sweet to drive, you can't take your foot out of the tank. I have to get an Auto control myself.

Old 05-23-2006, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by Mazee
Yeah, that clutch is a bear, plus for some reason I'm having a problem getting to third gear! I kept finding fifth instead!

The best way that i learned (and of course we're all different) was to always find neutral and go up from there. I would always go straight into fifth before I learned that little tidbit. Good luck and congrats!

Old 05-23-2006, 01:59 PM
Well, I certainly didn't feel ready for it, but my teacher made me go straight out on the roads today!!

I was a wreck for the first 25 minutes, but FINALLY the last 10 or 15 min. I started to "get it" and do most everything naturally and without having to be told.

He wanted me to go ahead and take her home today, but I insisted on one more lesson tomorrow. No freaking way did I feel ready after two short lessons to be on my own yet.

I'm feeling a bit more confident today, so hopefully by the end of my session tomorrow I'll feel ready to claim my beauty. lol

Old 05-23-2006, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
congrats! You should honestly take the car and just drive it around. The best practice is behind the wheel time. You will build up more confidence that way. After a while it will all become second nature and you'll be heel-toe'ing all the way home!

:P

Old 05-23-2006, 07:40 PM
Well, I certainly didn't feel ready for it, but my teacher made me go straight out on the roads today!!

I was a wreck for the first 25 minutes, but FINALLY the last 10 or 15 min. I started to "get it" and do most everything naturally and without having to be told.

He wanted me to go ahead and take her home today, but I insisted on one more lesson tomorrow. No freaking way did I feel ready after two short lessons to be on my own yet.

I'm feeling a bit more confident today, so hopefully by the end of my session tomorrow I'll feel ready to claim my beauty. lol
You may feel a little frustrated, but don't regret your purchase of the MT for a second. Once you marry yourself to the MT, and it becomes second nature you wouldn't trade it for the standard auto for anything. I drove the MT Fit and it is superb.

.........also if you have trouble getting it in reverse ever, take your foot off the clutch completely and press on the clutch again. Sometimes MTs are funny like that at least our truck is.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
Will get my first M\T friday. I drove my friends manual cars 2 or 3 times
on small streets (never passed the 3rd speed)... Feeling a bit nervous but
with all the good advices I read on the forum, I'm shure I will make it.

By the way, the Fit clutch is so light, I drove the Mazda 3 and it was
way harder to press on it... feeling heavy and/or notchy ?!!

Small Honda engine + blue Sport trim Fit = M/T

Philippe

Last edited by phil_qc; 05-23-2006 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:04 PM
Someone that Posts too much
WooHoo!!!!!

I'm so excited for you Mazee...

So, what's next... Bike? Vroommmm.........

Old 05-23-2006, 08:08 PM
Someone that Posts too much
Oh, and Bukwheat, what do you mean by the "sweet spot?"

Bukwheat you dirty.....

Old 05-23-2006, 09:08 PM
You guys are cracking me up!!!!!!! lmao and thanks for all the advice and encouragement!! GoFit, I think I'll probably pass on the bike, unless it's the non-motorized kind. I used to ride my 18-speed 30-40 miles at a time about six years ago. Am hoping to get back at it again one of these days.

I went for a "joy ride" in my Corsica this afternoon just to see if I could remember what I should be doing in my Fit at all times. I'm sure I spaced it a few times, but for the most part I could remember, Wooo Hooooo!!

Now I mainly just need practice in reverse, and starting from a dead stop without killing the engine (that happened a few times today. )

Supposed to bring my beauty home tomorrow.

Less than three days to go for you, Phillippe!

Old 05-24-2006, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by Karyn
You should drive a MT at least once in your life. It was a hard decision for me because the MT in the Fit felt so very nice. You'll love it once you get the hang of it. I drove a Toyota truck we had for a number of years and really developed a strong preference for the MT, but the paddles were too fun to resist in the Fit. If my only choice was the regular auto in the Fit with no paddles, there is now way I would have chosen it over the MT. I still miss the MT. We might have to buy both versions .
Karyn, I meant to ask, what are these paddles you and others are talking about? Can you direct me to a picture since I'm way curious?

Lesson #3 is under my belt; we practiced stopping and starting a lot, and pulling in and backing out. I still killed the engine more times than I like, but my teacher claims I'm doing great and should have it down pretty good by tomorrow. Since they didn't get the tinting done and I have to leave it there one more night he offered to go out with me for one final run tomorrow, so I'm pretty happy about that. I should feel confident enough to tackle it on my own after that fourth lesson (please God, lol).

Quick Reply: OMG!!! I'm a Blaze Orange Fit Owner!! 5/22