General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Motor week review

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 12:28 AM
Motor week review

Just saw the motorweek review. They tested a Fit Sport Auto. They didn't like the front seats much and thought it was a litle expensive but my question is how did they get the 0-60 times? Did they test it in the D mode or Sport mode with paddle shifters? Car and driver tested the M/T and got less than 9 sec. 0-60 I believe. Is the auto really 2 sec. slower?

Old 05-21-2006, 12:44 AM
i believe it. autos are slow, paddle shift or no. Good review though, they should have tested a orange one.

Old 05-21-2006, 12:51 AM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
Thumbs down

every car has its flaws...i think the seats are just dumb to complain about

Old 05-21-2006, 01:59 AM
5 Year Member
Edmunds has a 0-60 video of the Fit (or the start of a run); basically they're burning the tires off the line to get that time -- not exactly the most sporty powerband, but that's not what this vehicle is for. My Jetta VR6 auto was only ~8.5 seconds, but I assure you it will rip any Fit a new hole. A single number isn't the whole story -- most people aren't going to revving redline and doing sub-9 in the Fit in daily driving, but probably a lot closer to the auto's performance in general. Heck, loaded Jetta's are >$30K USD, how did they arrive at $16K being expensive???

Last edited by xorbe; 05-21-2006 at 02:02 AM.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:56 AM
Master FitFreaker
Originally Posted by FijiSi06
i believe it. autos are slow, paddle shift or no. Good review though, they should have tested a orange one.
yea that................

Old 05-21-2006, 03:11 AM
5 Year Member
Auto's can be quicker. An old gear head I work with has an 2005 GTO and he claims the auto is quicker that the six speed in the Goat.

Old 05-21-2006, 03:17 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by kingdlx
Just saw the motorweek review. They tested a Fit Sport Auto. They didn't like the front seats much and thought it was a litle expensive but my question is how did they get the 0-60 times? Did they test it in the D mode or Sport mode with paddle shifters? Car and driver tested the M/T and got less than 9 sec. 0-60 I believe. Is the auto really 2 sec. slower?
they probably did not do S mode. Cuz not all cars have this mode, so it wouldn't e fair for the auto fit in S mode to compare to other cars in regular mode.

the only reason auto is slower is its programmed tobe slow; its intentionally slow. RPMs of th auto won't go as high as you are able to do in manual.

Old 05-21-2006, 03:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xorbe
Heck, loaded Jetta's are >$30K USD, how did they arrive at $16K being expensive???
Simple, American's tend to equate small with cheap, so when you have a small car, no matter how well made or appointed it is, and barring some luxury tie-in (like the Mini being a BMW really) or the like, it must be cheap or we tend to knock it.

Old 05-21-2006, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Paulo107
every car has its flaws...i think the seats are just dumb to complain about
Sorry if I plan on using anything as a commuter vehicle the driver seat,positioning,and the way it cradles me is one of the criteria used for deciding a purchase.

Some people spend over an hour in traffic and the last thing they want is poor seating regardless of price point

Old 05-21-2006, 11:13 AM
Someone that Posts too much
I think in this case the auto (paddle shift) is quicker than the manual, much like with VW's DSG. It's no regular auto, DSG's and CVT's does a great job of matching revs and shifts quicker than doing it manually (manual tranny).

Last edited by GoFit; 05-21-2006 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:27 AM
I'm not worried about what other people are saying (+/-) including MAGS.

I find the seats comfy. And as for price, i look at the "As tested" price to which direct competition would be very close, the same if not more than the Fit.

Old 05-21-2006, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
I'm never happy with a seat pan, so I add my own padding. I got a memory foam pillow for the Fit's seat. When I drove my Accord wagon, I had to pad the back as well. The Accord's headrest just wouldn't adjust properly for me, either, but the Fit's is just right. I car pool with someone a lot bigger than me, and he has no complaints about the Fit's seating. I have a long commute every day. I went on a longer trip yesterday and was very happy with the whole experience -- I love my Fit!

Old 05-21-2006, 02:29 PM
Saw the review this morning. It didn't seem overly positive or negative. I've watched the show before, and you can tell when they love a car and when they really don't like a car. I don't think either was the case with the Fit.

They didn't like the seats. They didn't think they were comfortable and thought the material didn't look durable. I'm more concerned with the durable comment because different people will have different ideas on what is comfortable.

They thought the car was a little slow. 11 seconds 0 - 60. My guess is the manual is quite a bit quicker, but still not fast. Typically, economy cars with small engines see a decent performance increase with the manual, but you can only expect so much out of 109 HP even with a 2500 lb car.

They said it was somewhat expensive, but they did add that it had more standard equipment than anything in its class. That seems like a fair assessment.

They liked the safety features on the car.

They indicated how the car is much smaller physically than a Civic, but had almost as much interior volume as a Civic 4-door.

I'm not sure how they felt about the handling. They said good things and bad things. They did say 126 feet 60 - 0 braking was somewhat long for a small car. The Cadillac Escalade they reviewed next did the same thing in 133 feet. I'm sure the Escalade has fancier breaks, but the thing is huge. I would have expected the Fit to have a bigger braking distance advantage over the Escalade.

Overall I thought it was a decent review.

Old 05-21-2006, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by GoFit
I think in this case the auto (paddle shift) is quicker than the manual, much like with VW's DSG. It's no regular auto, DSG's and CVT's does a great job of matching revs and shifts quicker than doing it manually (manual tranny).
No it's not. It not faster than the MT and it is a regular Auto...with paddle shifters. DSG and CVT are not regular autos, but this is neither in the US.

Old 05-21-2006, 09:02 PM
The manual is quicker - no torque converter.

Old 05-21-2006, 09:40 PM
Auto trannys loose more power thru the automatic shift process. Typically you can expect a larger driveline lose on an auto than a Manual. Auto's are computer assisted or preprogramed even in a sport shift format. In a manual the dynamics of the real world can be dealt with much better. Many factors contirbute to any 1/4 mile or 0-60 time slip. Weather, humidity, altitude, etc...any review can be challenged in any number of arenas. It is silly however to compare the Fit to any other vehicle other than the class that t occupies. Sub-compact high mileage vehicles. So stay within those parameters I woould say the Fit blows away any of it's contenders. The review is laughable when it tries to suggest that the Fit is expensive. I challenge anyone to give an example of more car for the money. And it's a Honda, made in Japan, which means it is one of the best vehicles made in the world. Reliability, doesn't enter into many reviews in Magazines. Fit and Finish are uncomparable in this price range.....

GWD

Old 05-21-2006, 11:02 PM
Things are changing, technologies in sport mode, sequential mode, DSG, CVT, SMG or whatever manufacturer call theirs is getting better and better. Nowhere near close to being an F1 type but closing gap or in some cases surpasses an MT. I was never a big fan of it but having test driven DSG's in the A3 and Gti and also having the feature for the Fit is slowly making a believer out of me. No shiftknob to fumble around, 1 less pedal, no mis-shifts. My opinion of course and i don't expect anyone to agree.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
I'll try to throw up a decent quality .wmv version of the review tomorrow night if anyone wants it.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SheepNutz
I'll try to throw up a decent quality .wmv version of the review tomorrow night if anyone wants it.

I'd certainly like to see it.

Old 05-22-2006, 09:24 AM
Don't forget the manual weighs less too.

Quick Reply: Motor week review