General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

New to the Forum

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 10:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vittoret
P.S. My question would not be about the demographics of Fit buyers, but how come so few people at all seem to be aware of the Fit.
Here's the Fit sitting on top of pretty much all car reviews and lists of best cars in its class, and you have to explain to them that it's been around for several years. What's up with that?
Brand loyalty I would imagine.

That and most people don't read car reviews or do any researching before they buy a car for whatever reason. Maybe they don't know about them or maybe they don't trust them. Maybe they care less about practicality and reliability than looks, image, or power/acceleration figures.

People drive what they drive, treating their cars like appliances, many of them still believing that 100k miles is nearing the end of a car's life.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:05 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Oh, I think many people do research, especially through Consumer Reports, because when CR rated the Fit highest for high-mileage cars, and at the same time, gas prices went up A LOT, suddenly the supply of 2008 Fits dried up...of course, I had waited until I really needed a car before deciding on the Fit, and chased the last of my color choice all over the US...Every time CR rates the Fit highly, more of them get sold...I see the paper plates in my area that correlate. The crash ratings don't help, but no one actually believes he or she will get into a nasty crash, so...

If you drive an American car, you'll be lucky to get 100K out of it...

Old 03-17-2010, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by Juliane
Oh, I think many people do research, especially through Consumer Reports, because when CR rated the Fit highest for high-mileage cars, and at the same time, gas prices went up A LOT, suddenly the supply of 2008 Fits dried up. ...The crash ratings don't help, but no one actually believes he or she will get into a nasty crash, so...

If you drive an American car, you'll be lucky to get 100K out of it...
Ah, that's interesting. So perhaps it's like this -- you see a car, fall in love with its style. Then you focus only on the positive and ignore the negative: It'll be OK, I'll get used to the noise, I'll learn to love the color, the fuel economy won't matter because my cost of living allowance will outrace the price of gas, I'll always wear my seat belt so if there's a crash who cares.
Oops! that sounded like a marriage. Let me go back to the drawing board ...

Old 04-20-2010, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
Talking Youth Tonic

Originally Posted by whaap
Yep, the Fit is a joy but I even feel younger driving my Miata.
Here's my youth elixir! whaap

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 04-20-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
verrrrrrrrry naaasssss...

Old 04-21-2010, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
we have 3 fits in the family. The youngest being me at a ripe old age of 23, and my grandfather and uncle have one as well. They love their fits and they came from the newer saab and mercs.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:47 PM
I also believe that Honda and Nissan do not want cut into sales of their higher margin cars, and trust that shoppers looking for the lowest cost or highest mpg will naturally find them on the lot.

I also don't think Honda really knows the demographic for this car, or how to market it. The interior style is a bit edgy or agressive(probbaly to compete with scion), yet I see mostly seniors driving around in them in my town.
Look at the versa... smart key, leather, interior color options, wood grain, and a softer ride that has been described as the cadillac of economy cars. This car was made for the right demographic... too bad it's a nissan!

Last edited by shegetstodriveit; 04-21-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
i think that the Versa is down right ugly too, regardless of all the extras and add-on's. And your right its a Nissan, we've had nothing but problems with Nissans!

Old 04-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Yeah, I don't prefer the styling of the versa either, but in honesty, I bet most average folks not familiar with these cars would not be able to tell the versa and the fit apart upon first look.

I especially find the threads regarding the 07 and 08 owners hating on the 09s to be hillarious. They look so similar, that to call one version ugly is really calling both versions ugly.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:44 PM
I’m 46, but am convinced that I am still 35 (or younger) due to the fact that I never had any kids. Kids will age you faster that any car will. And not having them will keep you younger than owning a convertible. How do I know, I traded my Mr2 convertible for the Fit, and have not aged a bit.

Although my wife is fond of saying the only thing fit about her husband gets left in the garage.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shegetstodriveit
Yeah, I don't prefer the styling of the versa either, but in honesty, I bet most average folks not familiar with these cars would not be able to tell the versa and the fit apart upon first look.

I especially find the threads regarding the 07 and 08 owners hating on the 09s to be hillarious. They look so similar, that to call one version ugly is really calling both versions ugly.
No, the previous styling is different in HUGE ways from the new! To me, it looks like a completely different car. It wasn't just changed a tiny bit but the whole shape of the car is different. The new one is OK for most people, but not my taste at all. It looks like a hamster to me.