General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

please turn off my lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 11:52 PM
please turn off my lights

Am I doing something wrong, or are my headlights not supposed to shut off when I turn off the car?

Is this a cruel joke?

Old 03-09-2010, 12:04 AM
Nope, just like they don't turn them on by themselves. Been this way since the headlight was invented, except on luxury cars and now some middle of the road cars. Remember, this is an econobox first and foremost. Just because it is a nicely equipped one doesn't mean that it has all of the frills. If you forget you will hear the "bing, bing, bing" (translated from digital car lingo: "Turn the lights off dumb-ass!") when you turn the car off and leave the lights on.

So... how long were you hanging out in that parking lot waiting for a jump?

Old 03-09-2010, 12:41 AM
youll get used to it, ill turn my car off in the middle of the day in broad daylight and go to turn them off, even tho i never turned them on.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:47 AM
Originally Posted by seeremlive
Nope, just like they don't turn them on by themselves. Been this way since the headlight was invented, except on luxury cars and now some middle of the road cars. Remember, this is an econobox first and foremost. Just because it is a nicely equipped one doesn't mean that it has all of the frills. If you forget you will hear the "bing, bing, bing" (translated from digital car lingo: "Turn the lights off dumb-ass!") when you turn the car off and leave the lights on.

So... how long were you hanging out in that parking lot waiting for a jump?
My $21k 05' subaru legacy has auto off head lamps, but is otherwise terribly short on other features.

the cost is bull... this should be more of a safety requirement

Fortunately, I had to go back out to the car not to long after we parked it- the battery had not drained yet.
Put the jumper cables in the spare wheel well as soon as I got back home!

Old 03-09-2010, 01:13 AM
hold up, (dont have a fit yet).. are you just saying that the car lights has to be turned on and off manually? rt? if thats the case.. isn't that normal?

Old 03-09-2010, 02:49 AM
Originally Posted by NoMoreM3
hold up, (dont have a fit yet).. are you just saying that the car lights has to be turned on and off manually? rt? if thats the case.. isn't that normal?
normal for a Fit I guess

we are being jipped

can anyone state an actual reason for the lights remaining on? The system has to be designed to do this on purpose- it's not a case of "well, it's always been this way".

Old 03-09-2010, 02:51 AM
because hondas are just cool like that

Old 03-09-2010, 02:59 AM
haha!
I hear the owners of the nicer models with auto off lamps will actually have that taken out.

Oh yeah! My subie will also shut off the daytime running lights if you pull the ebrake- so you can have the ignition on, but with no headlights at all.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:41 AM
You can manually turn off the headlight correct?

Old 03-09-2010, 04:45 AM
5 Year Member
2nd day with my car and i found out the hard way

Old 03-09-2010, 08:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shegetstodriveit
My $21k 05' subaru legacy has auto off head lamps, but is otherwise terribly short on other features.

Fortunately, I had to go back out to the car not to long after we parked it- the battery had not drained yet.
Put the jumper cables in the spare wheel well as soon as I got back home!
My 2007 had auto off lights too. The things annoyed me more than anything else. Because I would walk away from the car waiting for the lights to shut off and started wondering if I turned the auto-off feature on So I didn't take my chances with them and just turned auto-off on when I got into the car but shut it off when I left. (I hope you follow me there) I just thought of them as insurance, just in case I did leave my lights on. Can't say that's ever happened to me yet.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by shegetstodriveit
Its not a safety issue that dumbass's don't turn off their headlights. Don't blame Honda for you not reading your owners manual.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:16 AM
What's so difficult about having an audible warning system if you have the engine off and the door open? Don't you wonder what the ding, ding, ding is for? It's not rocket science.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by NoMoreM3
You can manually turn off the headlight correct?
for sure! you will have full manual control over the lights

Old 03-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by brEAd
2nd day with my car and i found out the hard way
all I'm sayin!

Old 03-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by Jensen Healy
My 2007 had auto off lights too. The things annoyed me more than anything else. Because I would walk away from the car waiting for the lights to shut off and started wondering if I turned the auto-off feature on So I didn't take my chances with them and just turned auto-off on when I got into the car but shut it off when I left. (I hope you follow me there) I just thought of them as insurance, just in case I did leave my lights on. Can't say that's ever happened to me yet.
my subie's lights shut off when the ignition is returned to off. I know immediately- no fuss.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by gd3vbp
Its not a safety issue that dumbass's don't turn off their headlights. Don't blame Honda for you not reading your owners manual.
have some respect brother!

Old 03-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by whaap
What's so difficult about having an audible warning system if you have the engine off and the door open? Don't you wonder what the ding, ding, ding is for? It's not rocket science.
Very thankful there is the beep, at the least. There is another side to it though, and what I am really looking for is a reason to why many cars are designed like this.

For example- the 12 year old Ford Contour I just traded in did not have a headlamp auto off feature. Admittedly I didn't take real good care of it, and I didn't replace the faulty door switch that controls the warning beep. I also fully realize that it was my fault when I'd leave the lights on accidently, I'm not debating that.

But why is it this way? Have any of you needed to leave your lights on, and the ignition off? And if so, wouldn't it be just as easy to leave the ignition in ACC to perform this? I don't believe I have ever enountered this situation on my own, yet I've had numerous dead batteries.

So why is it worth it to me, for the car to be designed to do this on purpose?

Old 03-09-2010, 10:23 AM
do they still make those batteries with the stand by reserve? haha!

or maybe I should go back and get the extended service contract which includes Roadside assist!

Old 03-09-2010, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
If it bothers you so much just wire the headlights into a fuse that goes off with the car. My fog light switch is left on %100 of the time. They come on when i turn the car and and go off when i take the key out of the ignition. Was a 10$ mod job but im so used to turning the headlights on and off its no big deal. I just like running the fogs independently.

Quick Reply: please turn off my lights