General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

please turn off my lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member
are u that lazy that u cant just switch the lights off when u turn the car off

Old 03-10-2010, 02:38 AM
5 Year Member
This thread brought a lot of people out of the woodwork, good job! lol

Old 03-10-2010, 03:12 AM
5 Year Member
cause its ridiculous

Old 03-10-2010, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by FitDEEZ
cause its ridiculous
would you folks please stop with this?

half of you don't even understand what I am asking for. I'm not asking for auto on lights, or my ligths to stay on all the time, or loss of manual control over the lights, or for my headlights to turn off on a timmer. I'd simply like the headlights to shut off with the ignition if in the slim chance I somehow forget to turn them off manually. Even in my subaru now, I probably turn them off 99.9% of the time like the rest of you that have put me down- I would simply prefer an idiot proof system, instead of a system that is designed purposely to drain my battery. I guess no one else here has EVER made that mistake before. good job to you!

However, there are many threads on the internet (including the one in fit freaks) of (prior) subaru owners asking why their new car doesn't have the same ignition off headlamp feature they enjoyed in their Subaru. It's not that they are lazy or don't understand a warning beep, it means that they found the feature helpful, and would like to have it on their other cars.
This is probably the exact same discussion people were having when the car radio circuit was removed from the battery, and instead wired through the ignition. I don't hear any of you complaining about that one?

So, I don't see what the big deal is with my request... but I am confident that many of you simply have never owned a subaru (so you don't know how convenient/fool proof their system is), and the rest of you simply want to protect your mind's image of our precious perfect Fits. It reminds me of apple fanbois.

anyway, I understand that there are a couple of different mods I can perform so I have my answer. You can carry on with your necessary exhaust and mandatory rim discussions now.

Thanks!
Jeff

Last edited by shegetstodriveit; 03-10-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shegetstodriveit
Am I doing something wrong, or are my headlights not supposed to shut off when I turn off the car?

Is this a cruel joke?
Bottom line, YES and NO, Questions answered.

I have owned Subarus and Toyotas where the light turned off automatically when the car is shut off. The Fit is the other kind.

Last edited by spreadhead; 03-10-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Mods please lock this before it goes any further, the OP has had his question answered. We aren't here to attack one another friend, thats what the Hondatech forum is for! I think your original question was misunderstood is all...

Old 03-10-2010, 09:26 PM
If you leave your refrigerator door open and all your food spoils, do you blame the refrigerator?

Old 03-10-2010, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member
I also get the warning beeps from my refrigerator

Old 03-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by grtpumpkin
I think your original question was misunderstood is all...

yeah... I realized that about half way through.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:45 PM
Damn everyone is being such an a$$ good luck man hopefully u find the part or way to do it your looking for

Old 03-11-2010, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
yeah... I realized that about half way through.
definiely misunderstood sry

Old 03-11-2010, 05:28 AM
What did u misunderstand Eddie?

Old 03-11-2010, 06:47 AM
5 Year Member
i misunderstood why theres excuses.. just turn them off .. gosh! lol

like the guy above said

If you leave your refrigerator door open and all your food spoils, do you blame the refrigerator?

Old 03-11-2010, 12:58 PM
yeah, I have no problem shutting them off myself. It's just those occasions that I forget, and I want to curse every engineer that ever made this a 'feature' on the car.

I've read other threads in other boards where some folks will mention that they need the feature to have the lights on and the keys out of the ignition, so that is fine. But that has never happened to me, so I'd rather that they simply shut off. I'd gladly give up half of the door lock/unlock settings, to have this one headlight option.

I'd like to take the car apart and add the headlight to the ignition loop, but my wife doesn't think I have it in me without me melting something.

Old 03-11-2010, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
The circuit could probably be modified with a relay to allow for auto off functionality. I personally love that feature on my toyota solara. I'm sure by powering a relay using an ignition circuit and then connecting the headlights to the relay you could have that feature. Let me think about this more...

Old 03-11-2010, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
I'd like to take the car apart and add the headlight to the ignition loop, but my wife doesn't think I have it in me without me melting something.

NICE

so i'm not the only one who gets that "look"?

Old 03-11-2010, 04:09 PM
Is that the look where she goes "And what is this box with Japanese writing on it for?" I imagine that if you could lay hands on a wiring diagram for any Subaru you could replicate the headlight circuit pretty easily. I have a Chilton manual for my wifes 04 Forester but the wiring diagram in it is sort of generic.

Last edited by grtpumpkin; 03-11-2010 at 04:10 PM. Reason: help! I'm typing everything in italics!
Old 03-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by ReeSpeed
The circuit could probably be modified with a relay to allow for auto off functionality. I personally love that feature on my toyota solara. I'm sure by powering a relay using an ignition circuit and then connecting the headlights to the relay you could have that feature. Let me think about this more...
thank you!

check out this thread...
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...gnition-3.html
looking forward to your thoughts.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by grtpumpkin
Is that the look where she goes "And what is this box with Japanese writing on it for?" I imagine that if you could lay hands on a wiring diagram for any Subaru you could replicate the headlight circuit pretty easily. I have a Chilton manual for my wifes 04 Forester but the wiring diagram in it is sort of generic.
Looks like I am going to start an electronics hobby for a while!

Old 03-12-2010, 12:41 PM
5 Year Member
thank you!

check out this thread...
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...gnition-3.html
looking forward to your thoughts.
The post (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/801421-post44.html) is pretty much correct although I would add some diodes to prevent voltage spikes when the coil collapses but this should definitely achieve your desired functionality

Quick Reply: please turn off my lights