General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

I hate potholes!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
Massachusetts is one of the worst states when it comes to conditions of the roads and bridges and I must admit it is almost one of the sole reasons I want to move out of this state.

Anyways, my son just got his permit and wanted to go to the mall yesterday but since the mall closes early and he tends to drive slowly, I said that I would drive us there and he could drive back. On the way back, he was doing fantastically and I could tell he was paying attention to street signs, other cars, etc....but just wasn't used to looking AT the road for hazards.

He came upon a pothole that my Fit would not have come out of. I grabbed that steering wheel and gave her a yank. Maybe I shouldn't have done that but there undoubtedly would have been $1,000(+) worth of damage.

The roads here SUCK!

Old 03-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator
That really sucks. Where I drive I dont see to many potholes and if there are any I can easily avoid them. i dont drive into the Cities but I hear Minneapolis SUCKS for potholes, this is on some one hit in August. You can always try and contact the state and get them to pay for the damadge, but good luck with that I have heard only 2 or 3 people of actually getting any money

Name:  phoggggto.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  87.1 KB

Old 03-08-2010, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
if you're in new jersey, you can report pot holes on state and county roads here....

Pothole Reporting, Commuter Information

Old 03-09-2010, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
The potholes in upstate New York have really blossomed in the past week with the snow melt freezing every night. I don't expect the state to fix them either, since they're expecting an 8 BILLION dollar budget shortfall for the coming fiscal year.

the worst is the end of my own driveway. The frost has heaved the end of the driveway so badly that, as of two days ago, I can no longer back out of the driveway without grounding the nose of the Fit every time. The snowbanks are still too deep to park on the street, so I'm screwed. If I owned the driveway, I'd have it fixed. As it is, I have to complain to the landlord and hope he will do something. unfortunately, it's not like I can avoid my own driveway.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kawracer
I killed both Driver's side tires a few weeks back on a killer pothole. This hole was in between lanes, hard to see because it blended in with the dark-colored crack sealer/hole filler used there.

I hit hard, going 70mph--popped the front tire instantly, bending the wheel--it cut right through the tire. The rear tire had a huge bubble sticking out of the sidewall-not safe to drive on.
Car only had 1900 miles on it. The first flaw on the first new car I've ever owned
To top it off, the tow truck driver damaged the car too. He used a huge pocketknife to remove the towhook plug, which gouged the bumper. Then he scraped the bumper on the flatbed while pulling it up onto the truck.
I have been going back and forth with the tow company and roadside assist provider for the past 3 weeks about the damage claim. Body shop says $500, they are trying to settle for $100.

I already had to accept the bent wheel as an act of God--but the tow damage was completely avoidable. I had been so careful and got through one of the worst winters in recent memory with zero damage from flying debris, deep snow, falling ice, etc.

I've been wanting to vent about this ever since--but didn't want my own thread about it. Thanks for sharing yours!
No problem! Sometimes we all need to vent. Especially about something like that. I would have been livid if the person I called to help after my car became disabled on the road actually did MORE damage to it. Thankfully I only hit my pothole going about 15. I hate to think what kind of damage it would have done at 70mph! I might have lost control of the car at that point or literally broken the wheel OFF.

MNFit - Okay picture that pothole, but about three times as deep and wider than that one. I think I'm lucky I didn't bottom out; I credit my attempt at swerving out of the way for that. That half a foot right that I managed made the difference apparently.

hondaFORlife- I called the city about the pothole and it turns out I wasn't the only one to report it, or to have it eat my wheel. But I think there's some crazy rule where NYC has to have known about the pothole and not repaired it for 15 days before your damage for you to get reimbursed. And you have to fill out this giant form with all your insurance info as if it were an accident and frankly even if I have to replace the wheel itself outright at full dealer price it's less than my deductible and not worth the raise in rates if my insurance company thinks I'm a pothole-hitting wacko because the city told them so. It just pisses me off that if multiple people are reporting a wheel-eating pothole, they couldn't do something as simple as I don't know, putting a cone in it so it would be visible from farther away.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
So I finally managed to get some time to head to the dealer. I knew I was going to have to get a new tire; that went without saying - the damage was in the sidewall and I knew it was irreparable. I didn't say a word about what had happened and just waited for them to come and tell me about the rim as if I didn't know it was bent. They did, and they said they didn't know if I needed a new one and it would depend on whether the new tire would hold air when it was put on. Then they didn't have a tire in stock. So I left the rim with them and told them I'll pick it up tomorrow with a new tire on.

But they told me if I needed a new rim they were charging $541 dollars for it. I laughed and said no way was I paying that, and that if I needed a new rim I would buy one on my own. LOL. Almost six hundred for ONE rim? I can get a set of four on craigslist for less. Damn. LOL.

The guy tried to give me some line about "Well that's the price of them because it's a 2010 Fit and it just came out, anywhere will charge that." I told him I could order one on the internet from Honda for $300. He stared at me like I had 7 heads and like he also didn't expect me to know that the 2010 wheels are the same as the 2009 ones.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator
You should have told the guy the only way you would spend $541 per rim is if you where buying some Volks. You could pick up a cheaper set of rims for about that money.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
Unhappy

I feel ya on this one. Aggravating. In typical winter weather, I try to leave enough room for margin of error, and also to avoid all the dirt and debris coming from the car ahead of me.

Originally Posted by VaMPKiSS1
This, this, a thousand times this!! I hate how when I leave space, at least two people cut in front of me. That's to say nothing of the people that encroach on my lane from the side just waiting for an opening either in front of or behind me.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
Victory is mine! The tire holds air! So far I don't need a new rim. I just have to keep an eye on it to make sure it isn't slowly leaking over time, in which case I will need a new rim.

Maybe by then I'll have a completely different set altogether, who knows.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:38 AM
Glad it worked out for ya.