General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit gauge cluster shut-off

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Fit gauge cluster shut-off

Hello all FitFreakers!

Just had a quick question, it may be already in the thread elsewhere. If that is the case then I am sorry to start a new one. I work 2 jobs and am not able to get on here often.

Anyway, Last weekend my fiancee came down for a visit and we were going to a wedding that afternoon. I drive my 08 Fit every day. I woke up, got dressed, went to get in and the keyless system didn't work. I manually unlocked the door and noticed that the door lock panel doesn't work either. Turned the key on and then noticed none of the gauges, or cluster lights work in the car, but the car cranked fine. I took it to Honda the following monday and they told me that since the car's under warranty, there would be no service charge, but their repair report said that they performed a battery reset procedure on the car (being a technician, I assume they just disconnected the negative battery cable and hit the brakes and installed the cable back on the car and reset my radio settings), but I have never heard of any of the Fit's doing that. Mine has 71000 miles on it as of yesterday. Anyone else had any sort of ressembling occurance?

Old 02-05-2010, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
I happened to me on my 09 Honda FIT Sport last December. I came out to the car on one morning. Keyless did not work. I used a car key to open the door. The car started but no lights, no radio/NAV. All of power door did not work. Power doors did not work. I found out later that NAV/Radio fuse blew out. I replaced it and everything came back as usual.

I would suggest you to check all fuses. It took me 2 days to figure out.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:42 PM
It's under warranty for another 4000 miles. I'll let Honda deal with it until it runs out of warranty. I've been good to call Honda and ask permission to change anything performance-wise to make sure I'm not voiding the warranty, and the douches at Honda said "We noticed you have an aftermarket intake, and exhaust, if we report that....it could void the warranty." I was like, go head, they have my name and VIN anyway, and they know the car's been modified...

Not HONDA in general, when I moved to this city from the area I grew up in, this dealership cares more about money and numbers than customer service. I work in a shop and all we focus on is a good product and a happy customer. I wish the world was nicer...

Old 02-05-2010, 11:58 PM
Make sure you add that dealers name and address to the "places to avoid " thread! No need to give those clown any business.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Warranty has its Pros and Cons for sure! I'll defnitely add it. 4000 miles and the warranty will be done for. I plan to turbo that car one day, buying a house and getting married first though... yeah, dream on after that.. I know heh

Old 02-08-2010, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
They CANNOT void the warranty for the entire car based on Intake and Exhaust.

They can ONLY void the warranty on those items or if those items DIRECTLY caused the malfunction. For example...if you had a cold air intake, and sucked up water during a storm and hydrolocked your engine, then yes...you're screwed. They cannot void the warranty on lets say your door's weatherstripping because you have an intake.

Look up the Magnuson-Moss Act...shove that in their faces if they try to get frisky.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3
They CANNOT void the warranty for the entire car based on Intake and Exhaust.

They can ONLY void the warranty on those items or if those items DIRECTLY caused the malfunction. For example...if you had a cold air intake, and sucked up water during a storm and hydrolocked your engine, then yes...you're screwed. They cannot void the warranty on lets say your door's weatherstripping because you have an intake.

Look up the Magnuson-Moss Act...shove that in their faces if they try to get frisky.

Yeah you're right, but in this society today, who knows what kinda tricks would be hidden up their sleeves to try and get out of paying something. I deal with warranty claims every day. You would NOT believe how specific your story has to match your repair to make warranty pay for anything. A lot of times the dealership catches the crap from the customer for bad dealings when in reality, if they say a repair is warranty and the actual Warranty department at Honda rejects a claim on something, the dealer foots a bill that they should've collected their money on from warranty. It's a sticky situation, always is. Dealers don't have warranty departments. They have to send failed parts back to the manufacturer and the man. has a paid team of people that their job is to find reasons not to have to pay claims. It's crazy and I hate doing it...

Old 02-08-2010, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
you still having problems? like the previous poster said it could be a fuse, mine likes to cut out sometimes, but i think that's because i've messed with my electrics a little just HIDs and the independent foglights. I believe at least for me, it's my independent fog light mod, when i push against the double fuse holder thingy my cluster shuts off, so if you did the same mod, that could be the problem. If not, then maybe someone else can chime in or your dealer can find out