General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

WOW! Serious Fit Competition!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 07:38 AM
5 Year Member
WOW! Serious Fit Competition!

I know this should probably be in the "Other Car" forum. But since this car is being made in direct competition with the Fit, Yaris, etc., I thought it would get some more needed attention here.

YouTube - Chevrolet Aveo RS Concept (choose the 720p version )

I don't care what anyone says... this is a HOT-LOOKING ride. The interior smokes the Fit's interior... at least if the Fit interior remains the same after this Aveo RS becomes available.

Pretty impressive, Chevy!

Old 01-24-2010, 07:57 AM
5 Year Member
Considering that Chevrolet has never built a decent small car (other than the Geo Prizm, which was actually a re-badged Toyota), I won't hold my breath for the Aveo RS. I actually remember when Chevy's world beating Corvair and Nova ("No va" en español) were first introduced, so I've seen this movie before.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member
The production model probably won't be anywhere near as good as that concept, if they want to keep it cheaper to compete. It will probably have generic wheels/hubcaps, plastic interior, no leather seats, and standard headlights when it comes out.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:07 AM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vanct
The production model probably won't be anywhere near as good as that concept, if they want to keep it cheaper to compete. It will probably have generic wheels/hubcaps, plastic interior, no leather seats, and standard headlights when it comes out.
I agree. All concept cars are all fancy..; and are dumbed down when it comes to production models... especially with small cars.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
I agree. All concept cars are all fancy..; and are dumbed down when it comes to production models... especially with small cars.
Since the engine is only a 1.4L, I wonder about performance with those 19" wheels. I don't know, looks nice... but that seems huge for a car that size, with an engine that small.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:35 PM
that just looks heavy, im not a fan of how it looks also. the interior look fresh tho

Old 01-24-2010, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vanct
Not true, Chevy offers these on the Aveo 5 now:

Those are not cheap wheels/hubcaps! Matter of fact, I've seen those wheels in person... they are good-looking wheels. (Hmmm... wonder if they'd work on the Fit? )

They also offer leather on most of their cars ("perforated leather" on the Aveo 5), and other "upscale" options.

Chevy (GM) isn't the crap company they used to be. They offer some seriously nice, well-built cars now. That's what happens when you're near bankrupt several times. You make serious changes, or you just cease to exist.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
what is that?
looks like a bootleg fit rs badge with a beat up chevy aveo chasis with a nasty wannabe evo 10 front end with imitation bmw headlights

Old 01-24-2010, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
That's a nice car Chevy built with the money I loaned them. I'll stick with my Honda.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
I know there are 'real car guys' within GM that want to build a great small car.
I'd love to think things are different with G M (or as some say government motors)
But with those wheels, headlights, interior, turbo etc, where would they have to price it? $24-25K??
I think by the time marketing and the bean counters hack away at it, it will have a lot less of the impressive impact that the concept car has I am sorry to say.
This is not to say that I really hope Chevy somehow proves me wrong.

Last edited by Tork; 01-24-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:15 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
It only took them what, 5 years? ...to launch something that might be competitive with the Fit?

About time, although I have a feeling Honda will just up the stakes with a R-type Fit if the competition gets tough enough.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:25 PM
The last I knew the Aveo was made by Daiwoo (?). If still true they couldn't give me a car.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:52 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Wow thats a nice little car. Turbocharged 1.4L, 6 speed, nice interior. Ill wait till the production model comes out before saying too much though. If they can price it under 15,000 itll definately be a hit.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Wow thats a nice little car. Turbocharged 1.4L, 6 speed, nice interior. Ill wait till the production model comes out before saying too much though. If they can price it under 15,000 itll definately be a hit.
Agreed, in its early form the Aveo certainly looks pretty nice. How much Chevy can keep the early form into the production model will determine how well I'll like the final car.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:57 AM
5 Year Member
i dont really like it. but like in the few posts above, if its priced reasonably.. it can be very popular

Old 01-25-2010, 02:17 AM
I, for one, hope it is a very well made and successful car. Competition in the auto industry is good. The current predicament of the Detroit-3 is largely because they did NOT have strong outside competition, and once it appeared, they failed to see the writing on the wall.

Imagine how crummy the current iPhone would be if it didn't have the Droid nipping at its heels. Imagine if Microsoft had never had the Mac come out of the blue to eat its lunch (I'd probably be typing this in DOS).

A solid home run with the Aveo can only mean good things for the Fit... Honda will not sit idly by, and consumers will reap the benefits. In this case, taxpayers AND consumers!

Old 01-25-2010, 03:22 AM
5 Year Member
Its nice but. Fit is better in my book.
It deffinatly looks better than the last generation aveo but it kinda looks like they are trying a little to hard to compete with others in its class

Old 01-25-2010, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
It's a Daweoo, /Thread. It could come with rocket boosters and playmates and you still couldn't pay me enough to take one.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by Red 05
It's a Daweoo, /Thread. It could come with rocket boosters and playmates and you still couldn't pay me enough to take one.
Sounds like the attitude of the older generation, and the Detroit-3 for many years toward Japanese automakers... "Toy-what? Made in Japan? you can keep it.".

While the long term quality if a newly reengineered model is not a known quality, the strides GM and Ford have made should not go unnoticed. Just a decade ago, Kias were regarded as unmitigated junk, and Hyundais just a hair higher on the food chain. Both have made drastic improvements. Meanwhile, Toyota has suffered some serious quality issues in recent years, which their president has acknowledged.

Judge a car on its own merits, not "It's a Daewoo, bleh."

Old 01-25-2010, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Red 05
I have no opinion (other than GM's historically bad track record for NA-built small cars) as to whether this is good or bad re the quality of the next generation Aveo:

"Unlike the current Aveo that is built in South Korea by Daewoo, the new model will be built at the Orion, Michigan assembly plant north of Detroit."

Time will tell.

Quick Reply: WOW! Serious Fit Competition!