General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

WOW! Serious Fit Competition!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
It looks interesting. I'm not a fan of the styling. IMO, it's an execise in futility to try to make a tiny car look "mean and tough". Then again, what do I know? I liked the styling of the original VW beetle and the new Fiat 500.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:18 PM
4 cyl, 138 hp, It's not much of a competition if you ask me.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
I'm glad that Honda designers haven't gone to the giant grill look that Chrysler "pioneered". Now it seems GM is being "innovative" by following Chrysler with the big grills. OK, I know I'm being a little extreme, but to me that big, tall grill on a small hatchback looks awkward.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:36 AM
5 Year Member
Since this car is meant to be an econobox like the Fit and Yaris, there's no way GM would ever put out this car without majorly watering it down. Profit margins are really slim at the low end and this concept car looks to be over the top.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BraytonAK
Since this car is meant to be an econobox like the Fit and Yaris, there's no way GM would ever put out this car without majorly watering it down. Profit margins are really slim at the low end and this concept car looks to be over the top.
Don't be so sure. I have a friend who works for Chevy. He's never been a very big Chevy fan, so for him to even remotely "praise" Chevy for anything is really saying something.

He tells me Chevy is working on some things that are absolutely stunning... at prices even more stunning.

This Aveo RS suspiciously reminds me of the Spark, which is supposed to be released sometime this year, or early next year, starting at or around $13-14 grand! I'm wondering if they'll release the Spark [in the U.S., etc.] under the Aveo name. They look alike in many ways.

Search for both the Aveo RS and the Chevy Spark. Pay particular attention to exterior details and especially interior details. The "2011" Spark interior (from last year's auto show(s) is almost a duplicate of the Aveo RS.

If so, I'll bet the only thing they leave off will be the 19" wheels, maybe offer the turbo as an add-on, and also offer leather as a more expensive add-on.

Gonna' be interesting, for sure. I have no problems with Chevys. With the possible exception of the current Aveo (made by Daewoo... the new Aveo RS will NOT be, btw), Chevy now makes a quality product. You may not like some of their designs, but that has nothing to do with build quality. In my opinion they now make some solid rides.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
it never ceases to amaze me how little power American car manufacturer's get out of engines. 1.4 litre turbocharged and only 138hp?

The interior looks nice but its nothing particularly mind blowing, have a look at an Opel Corsa OPC interior(google it) and you'll see the same style piano black dash. Ford Fiesta dash looks be a major influence here as well...

Old 02-01-2010, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
So far, so good. Let's see if they actually produce this car for ~$20K

Old 02-04-2010, 12:08 PM
Why is Cevy at all relevant?? It is owned 62%+ by the US govenrment!

Old 02-05-2010, 07:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by docjim2
Why is Chevy at all relevant? It is owned 62%+ by the US govenrment!
Yeah, well, no argument here on that note. If GM remains in the hands of government, especially the way government's been going lately, they'll run it in the ground and bankrupt it as they've done with almost everything else they've touched lately.

Government produces absolutely nothing except MORE government... and they TAKE from society's most productive in order produce the means by which they feed their insatiable lust and hunger for more power and control.

More humorous to contemplate still, what's government going to do when they've sucked everything out of society's remaining most productive, and no one remains for them to TAKE from? If things continue as they are, and the above scenario were to become reality, I hope I'm around just long enough to laugh at the fools when they're just as poor as they've managed to make everyone else around them!

Old 02-05-2010, 07:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
It looks interesting. I'm not a fan of the styling. IMO, it's an execise in futility to try to make a tiny car look "mean and tough". Then again, what do I know? I liked the styling of the original VW beetle and the new Fiat 500.
Lol! Yeah, I used to feel that way, seriously. Until I was looking around for a "fuel sipper" that actually had some features and style... enter the 2009 Fit.

A friend up the street from me, who apparently used to visit here, told me about this site after I saw his new Fit and wanted one myself. Between visiting here and thoroughly checking out the GE in person I became enamored with most if its charms.

Personally, I wouldn't call it "mean and tough." I think of it as a little more "aggressive looking". I think the Fit's look and front-to-rear naturally-sloping stance lends itself really well to a more aggressive look.

But hey, whatever you think, Uncle Gar! Mom always told me never to argue with an Uncle!

BTW, I liked the original VW Beetle styling too! My brother-in-law had one he renovated and modded to look pretty darned "mean and tough!

Old 02-05-2010, 07:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gynosis
it never ceases to amaze me how little power American car manufacturer's get out of engines. 1.4 litre turbocharged and only 138hp?
138 hp from 1.4 liters is very good when you have to meet our emissions regulations and100,000 mile service life. The one in the Detroit show looked pretty good except for the overdone 19" wheels that looked silly.

But after the CRZ debacle makes you wonder what their product engineers are doing.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:48 AM
My point is: if GM (government motors) and Chrysler (the big O) continue to have losses they will go under. What happens to the parts? How many brands beside Saturn, Pontiac, Oldsmobile are being cut?

Old 02-05-2010, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by docjim2
My point is: if GM (government motors) and Chrysler (the big O) continue to have losses they will go under. What happens to the parts? How many brands beside Saturn, Pontiac, Oldsmobile are being cut?

Sorry, but any losses will be made up by money from the government from your taxes. Your taxes. You don't think gov will let GM go under, do you?
This administration has added the fllowing, or trying to:
1. make 25% of taxpayers pay for the other 75% health care. $2 trillion divided by 80 million actual taxpayers. Yoy do the math
2.continue losing jobs because they aren't bright enough to see that NAFTA and CAFTA puts jobs offshore
3.pledging $100 billion to fraudulent 'global warming'.
4. Adding the bill just for interest on $1.9 trillion at 4% to your taxes.
there's many more but you get the idea.
This is the most incompetent administration in the history of ouir nation and you grt the 'reward'.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
Sorry, but any losses will be made up by money from the government from your taxes. Your taxes. You don't think gov will let GM go under, do you?
This administration has added the fllowing, or trying to:
1. make 25% of taxpayers pay for the other 75% health care. $2 trillion divided by 80 million actual taxpayers. Yoy do the math
2.continue losing jobs because they aren't bright enough to see that NAFTA and CAFTA puts jobs offshore
3.pledging $100 billion to fraudulent 'global warming'.
4. Adding the bill just for interest on $1.9 trillion at 4% to your taxes.
there's many more but you get the idea.
This is the most incompetent administration in the history of ouir nation and you grt the 'reward'.
Let's not forget to add to your Item #2:

NAFTA/CAFTA are really no longer much of an issue in putting jobs offshore. The idiots running Washington have taxed and regulated businesses so badly the businesses finally either said or are saying "Screw you... I'll relocate my business to a nation who appreciates the stimulation... one who doesn't steal nearly everything we earn... scheming to take more before we've even earned it."

I don't blame them for doing so either.

This is also what happens when a people become either so government dependent they allow such legal thievery, or so apathetic they don't even know they have the power to stop such overbearing governmental oppression. Along with the second reason are those who have become so terrified of the government who is supposed to serve them they don't dare stand against it.

I no longer think NAFTA/CAFTA are the problems they once were. Same basic principle... but we're now faced with much greater issues.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:16 AM
5 Year Member
Like the large banks, I'm betting that GM will have bought its way free of government control within 2 years. GM is a much leaner company than 2 years ago, and Toyota is giving them a huge boost that will result in lasting momentum.

Chrysler, on the other hand, is toast.

In my view, current problems derive primarily from unwise tax cuts in the previous administration that moved the federal budget from essentially balanced to severely unbalanced, amplified by trying to fight a war without paying for it.

"Before he was forced to resign, former Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill broke the code that limits criticism to inside the White House only. He publicly voiced doubts about broad tax cuts and warned about looming deficits. Top economic adviser Larry Lindsey strayed when he told a newspaper that an Iraq war could cost $100-200 billion.
Mitch Daniels, Director of the Office of Management and Budget, subsequently discounted this estimate as "very, very high" and stated that the costs would be between $50-$60 billion. This lower figure was endorsed by Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld who called Lindsey's estimate "baloney".
Rumsfeld was right -- Lindsey's estimate was an order of magnitude too low. It's going to take a long time for this country to undo 8 years of mismanagement 2001-2008.

Last edited by Selden; 02-06-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by annunC8
Let's not forget to add to your Item #2:

NAFTA/CAFTA are really no longer much of an issue in putting jobs offshore. The idiots running Washington have taxed and regulated businesses so badly the businesses finally either said or are saying "Screw you... I'll relocate my business to a nation who appreciates the stimulation... one who doesn't steal nearly everything we earn... scheming to take more before we've even earned it."
We did regular estimates on the cost of manufacturing our products. Taxes might increase but we had nothing we could do about it (until the Supreme Court said we had as much right to 'advertise' politically as anyone else) while it is easy to compare the labor costs. You don't even have to be a second grader to subtract $1.25 from $8.25 to see just how much can be saved, thus increasing my income, That Chinese worker can do the job just as well as that yound American kid. And there's no union nutcase to get in the way (you can't move that worker from his position to another you need him more doing; its against union rules).
Indeed NAFTA and CAFTA are a large reason why so many are unemployed. It will continue and Americans are too damb dumb to know why. Worshipping 'change' is so much more important.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Selden
It's going to take a long time for this country to undo 8 years of mismanagement 2001-2008.
It's going to take a h3ll of a lot longer than that to undo what the current clueless lot of D.C. newbies have done in only a year.

At least with the previous clueless administration we got people who were extremely vigilant about not having another 9/11. These new idiots seem to still think we can be nice to Khalid, Ahmed, or Abdul and they will love us back while singing Happy-Happy, Joy-Joy songs in our ears!

Washington D.C.... two large metropolitan hubs of perpetual fools, thieves, liars and dolts. At least I can take great pleasure in knowing if nothing else, what goes around surely comes around, sooner or later!

Ehhh! I'm talking politics... I'm getting nauseated! The Honda Fit is a much more pleasant topic.

BTW, I agree GM will probably pay the heist... I mean loans back and will be on their own once again. At least I hope they do... the auto industry is not unlike any other industry. We need as many automakers as possible... competition between companies with similar product always proves to be financially beneficial us, the consuming public.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:41 AM
I looked at Fiesta before I bought the fit. I actually had to clip in the shifter trim piece when I got in.
Good small cars built by GM? Maybe something built at the NUMMI plant in Fremont? It's the Tesla plant now.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member
Looks like a tiny Lancer...
It does look pretty good, but it's still a chevy/daewoo i'm not impressed

Old 12-21-2010, 12:53 PM
I'll bite.... How did NAFTA put jobs offshore?

John

Quick Reply: WOW! Serious Fit Competition!