General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

got pulled over by a cop tonight...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 10:57 AM
I <3 cops! ::hugs::

actually, on the way back from my honeymoon (drive to/from vegas) had the cruise set to 80, still had just married vinyls on the car (thank god) 2am in the morning, completely oblivious that it was night and i was still going 80, mind went numb apparently, and what do i see but the good ol red and blue. now, texas highway patrol would give a ticket to their own mother so i was like, CRAP! pull over, patrolman got me out of the car in december weather mind you so i was a tad chilly and had me move to the back of the car. did some small talk with one officer while the second spoke with my wife who was still in the passengers side. told me that the limit was 60 at night and i told him i just completely blanked, been driving for 12h straight and the officer just gave us a warning saying that it was a wedding gift from the texas highway patrol

WIN!

Old 05-18-2006, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occidio
Being a cop really is for the most part a thankless job. Everybody agrees that cops are needed yet when they do their job it's them being jerks. That attitude is apparent from fshwcrs and really just irks me.

These people protect us from criminals and do so while risking their lives. Call me crazy, but I think they have a right to be cautious, trying to get back to their families after a long shift.

Perhaps you don't notice it fshwcrs, but with your attitude I'm not surprised you got the type of help that you did.
Maybe you don't know how to read, or maybe you just have really bad short term memory, but I've described how I interact with cops more than once in this thread. I've also said that you can be cautious without being a dick. I'm glad you think that writing tint tickets and front plate tickets (even with temp tags in the window) is somehow keeping your neighborhood safe at night; I only wish I could be so easily satisfied.

Old 05-18-2006, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by brdss
You will talk to the dispatcher and they will tell you if the person pulling you over is actually the police. They will also inform the officer of the situation.
Ah...interesting, I did not know that.

Old 05-18-2006, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by fshwcrs
Maybe you don't know how to read, or maybe you just have really bad short term memory, but I've described how I interact with cops more than once in this thread. I've also said that you can be cautious without being a dick. I'm glad you think that writing tint tickets and front plate tickets (even with temp tags in the window) is somehow keeping your neighborhood safe at night; I only wish I could be so easily satisfied.
Lol, I'm sure your when you are speaking to cops your as polite as your post are on this thread.

Old 05-18-2006, 01:50 PM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occidio
Lol, I'm sure your when you are speaking to cops your as polite as your post are on this thread.
not me...i have gotten into a little trouble with dickhead cops...i mean when they say somthing stupid it irritates me...i got pulled over one time and for some reason my car got searched...i was coming from my girls house, i had a spraycan in my trunk...it was late maybe 2 AM...he pulled me over cause he said that my car was almost the same of one they were looking for.
TOTAL BS!!!!! Well when he searches my car he finds the spraycan in the trunk already accusing me that i have been tagging the city...i laughed as he then tells me "what do you with this shit spray it in a bag and inhale it." I ask are you serious thats a stupid question..."just answer the question" he says...well no officer. i was in high school at the time a senior then he asks what school i go to i tell him cooper city high...the cops ask me this " DO I HAVE AIDS!!!??? That was the really a personal question to ask if someone did have it, BUT NO OFFICER. Then why the AIDS question he says "oh nothing i heard something about that school" i dont think so buddy...well after about an hour of my time and more cops show up he finally lets me go meanwhile my G/F was pissed at me.

Old 05-18-2006, 03:04 PM
Cops are people too, some can be real jerks and some can be nice. It's not like I've never had any run ins with some bad cops but I don't generalize because of my experiences.

When I was still a high school I had a run in once that left a pretty bad impression on one officer. I was questioning him and he became irate at me. Once I pointed a finger at him, he slamed his cruiser door purposely to hit me. Needless to say it bounced off of me and back at him. He called it assaulting an officer! After putting me in cuffs and placing me in the back of a cruiser he eventually let me go. By his own admission he said there were too many witnesses that saw what actually happened!

Was the cop crooked? Hellyeah, but I wouldn't generalize and say that all cops were like that. I still like cops regardless, and as I have gotten older, I have grown to understand the crap that they have to put up with. I haven't had any run ins with bad cops since and that was a good decade ago. Most have been courteous and polite.

Old 05-18-2006, 04:19 PM
I guess nobody knows how to read or write but you!! Yes, you describe how you THINK you act when you are around cops, but your attitude shines through! Did you know that when you talk face to face with someone, only 30% of the interaction is verbal? The other 70% is non verbal! Body language, eye contact, proximity, all of these play into what you actually saying! Guess what! They teach us stupid cops how to read what you are actually saying! You think you are being a real smooth talking cookie when you talk with cops, meanwhile they see that you think you are better than them, that you hate cops, and they should be ashamed for wasting your valuable time.

The more you write, the more you show your ignorance! Do you know why most states are cracking down on tinted window? No you probably do not! But yet you think writing tickets for tinted windows is not keeping anybody safe.

Think about trying this sometime: 3:30 AM, it is raining like a mother out, and you see a car that is all over the road. You proceed to pull the car over and notice all the windows are blacked out. You can tell there are people in the car, but you can not make out if they are doing anything or just sitting there. As you walk up to the car, you can no longer see ANYTHING inside, but you know they can see you. The driver has not rolled his window down yet. What do you do?

Do you keep approaching the vehicle and hope that none of them have a shotgun pointed at your head? do you go back to the squad and use the PA to order them to roll down all of the windows on the car? Of course, then they will think you are just being an asshole cop that is harrassing them! What to do if they don't listen to you? Maybe they don't speak english or are deaf? do you take the chance that the car is safe? Do you increase the danger to your well being just to continue to keep the neighborhood safe at night?

Amazing how a "stupid" little thing like tint can grow into a danger, isn't it? I know, to you it is only the life of a cop that is in danger, what is one more dead cop, huh? As long as you get to keep your tinted windows and don't get harrassed by "the man."

Old 05-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by Okietom
No wonder Chicago is such a f'ed up place with police that are so scared. You have a really dark outlook on people in that town. Why don't you get out before it is too late. Saying that people are all God's children doesn't make them saints, but making them out to be demons is just as far off. It even kinda sounds like you get off on being in control of some stranger and giving them orders that they don't like. Does it make it easier to be a jerk if you think that they all hate cops? I will make every effort to stay out of that place.
OK, so now you are saying that the people I meantioned were not all of God's children? Charlie Manson is a demon? How would you like to have pulled over the car they were driving the night they visited the Tate house? Think you would like to walk up to the car and say hi? He was not always in jail, just as there are other killers out there right now that will be thought of as demons. They just have not been caught yet.

The point that I have tried to make (that most people can grasp) is that we do NOT personally know the people we pull over. We do not know what they do for a living, what hiddedn crimes they may have just committed. I am not saying that they DID do something, I am saying that WE DO NOT KNOW! There is no such thing as a ROUTINE TRAFFIC STOP. There are UNKNOWN RISK traffic stops and there are HIGH RISK traffic stops. We HAVE to treat people with suspicion in order to keep going home every night. That is our #1 job! Make it home safe every night. Is that a bad thing? Do you want to go home after work? Do you want your loved ones to make it home after work? Why should cops be any different?

You say it sounds like I get off on controlling people? Not the case. But if controlling people helps me and the people I work with, as well as the people I help protect, stay safe, then I will do so. I do not get off on controlling people. I get off on going home safe every night.

I do not think that people all hate cops. To the contrary, I beleive that most people like cops, like the fact that they help keep them safe. I really am touched when people out of the blue approach me while I am eating lunch (as public figures, we are always "on duty," while in public, even during lunch breaks) and say that they just want to thank me for what we do. Do I think that most people feel the same way that fshwcrs and you do? Thank God, no!

Nobody likes getting pulled over. Why would they? That does not mean that they all hate cops. Most people are smart enough to know not to judge a whole group by the acts of one person. Unfortunately, there will always be people that do.

Old 05-18-2006, 05:28 PM
brdss - have you ever been pulled over? What do you do? Do cops treat you differently? Do they change their attitude once they know you are a cop? Have you ever gotten a ticket, or does professional courtesy override? Or do you just not tell them?

I am sure most (not all) intentions are good on both sides, but it can be stressfull for the cop and the civilian, and stress does not always bring out the best in us.

Old 05-19-2006, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by brdss
I guess nobody knows how to read or write but you!! Yes, you describe how you THINK you act when you are around cops, but your attitude shines through! Did you know that when you talk face to face with someone, only 30% of the interaction is verbal? The other 70% is non verbal! Body language, eye contact, proximity, all of these play into what you actually saying! Guess what! They teach us stupid cops how to read what you are actually saying! You think you are being a real smooth talking cookie when you talk with cops, meanwhile they see that you think you are better than them, that you hate cops, and they should be ashamed for wasting your valuable time.

The more you write, the more you show your ignorance! Do you know why most states are cracking down on tinted window? No you probably do not! But yet you think writing tickets for tinted windows is not keeping anybody safe.

Think about trying this sometime: 3:30 AM, it is raining like a mother out, and you see a car that is all over the road. You proceed to pull the car over and notice all the windows are blacked out. You can tell there are people in the car, but you can not make out if they are doing anything or just sitting there. As you walk up to the car, you can no longer see ANYTHING inside, but you know they can see you. The driver has not rolled his window down yet. What do you do?

Do you keep approaching the vehicle and hope that none of them have a shotgun pointed at your head? do you go back to the squad and use the PA to order them to roll down all of the windows on the car? Of course, then they will think you are just being an asshole cop that is harrassing them! What to do if they don't listen to you? Maybe they don't speak english or are deaf? do you take the chance that the car is safe? Do you increase the danger to your well being just to continue to keep the neighborhood safe at night?

Amazing how a "stupid" little thing like tint can grow into a danger, isn't it? I know, to you it is only the life of a cop that is in danger, what is one more dead cop, huh? As long as you get to keep your tinted windows and don't get harrassed by "the man."
Body language - hands in plain sight, sitting still
Proximity - however close the cop feels like getting from my door
Eye contact - when I'm engaged in conversation with someone, I look them in the eye

So what exactly about a clean cut 20 yr old white kid dressed professionally in an M3 or S2000 with the top down is threatening? Keys on the dashboard, hands on the wheel, speaking only when spoken to, answering questions directly and truthfully, saying "Sir" (never really understood the reasoning behind that one, but ok). What am I doing wrong? Enlighten me

And I really hope they don't let deaf people drive where you live. That'd scare the shit out of me, too.

And to whoever said its obvious how I act towards cops based on how I act on the internet... Pure genius. MENSA?

Old 05-19-2006, 01:24 AM
And I really hope they don't let deaf people drive where you live. That'd scare the shit out of me, too.
Deaf people are allowed to drive if they can pass their driving test and drive a specialized vehicle. They should have the handicapped sign on. But I don't think you can know what kind of handicap do they have based on the sign.

Old 05-19-2006, 01:27 AM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
Eye contact - when I'm engaged in conversation with someone, I look them in the eye

So what exactly about a clean cut 20 yr old white kid dressed professionally in an M3 or S2000 with the top down is threatening? Keys on the dashboard, hands on the wheel, speaking only when spoken to, answering questions directly and truthfully, saying "Sir" (never really understood the reasoning behind that one, but ok). What am I doing wrong? Enlighten me

And to whoever said its obvious how I act towards cops based on how I act on the internet... Pure genius. MENSA?
DING!! ROUND 6!!!

Old 05-19-2006, 01:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dancingsun
Deaf people are allowed to drive if they can pass their driving test and drive a specialized vehicle. They should have the handicapped sign on. But I don't think you can know what kind of handicap do they have based on the sign.
I did not know that :thumbup:

Old 05-19-2006, 03:37 AM
Originally Posted by DRum
brdss - have you ever been pulled over? What do you do? Do cops treat you differently? Do they change their attitude once they know you are a cop? Have you ever gotten a ticket, or does professional courtesy override? Or do you just not tell them?

I am sure most (not all) intentions are good on both sides, but it can be stressfull for the cop and the civilian, and stress does not always bring out the best in us.

When I was young and dumb, I had my share of conversations due to a lead foot! I was always very respectfull, admitted what I did wrong, and even when they wrote me a ticket, just took it in stride. I had a brand new truck, less than 2 weeks old, and the headlight went out. I was pulled over, and received a ticket. I did not get ticked off at the cop, I just went to court and explained it to the judge. That is why they have judges in the first place, to listen to both sides and decide what is the right thing to do.

I have been pulled over 3 times in the years I have been a cop. 1 time for speeding 10 over the limit, received a written warning. 2 of them were fishing trips due to the time of day (working overtime and not getting home until 3 AM. Both of those times, I still had my uniform on with a jacket over it. They definitely do change thier attitude. You can see them go from completely alert state to more relaxed. That is just human nature, as they feel that they are safe.

On the other side, I have pulled over cops that were doing something wrong. If it is a minor violation, I will give a warning (same as I do if they are not cops.) If they decide that they want to have an attitude (has happened one time to me) I do something worse than giving them a ticket, I call and talk to the chief of the department. What is worse, gettin a speeding ticket and paying a fine, or getting a few days off of work without pay and having it go into your file?

Old 05-19-2006, 04:04 AM

Funny how every time I ask what would you do in a situation, you don't answer the question. You talk about "stupid" tinted window tickets, and I give you perfect example of why they do it and ask you what you would do. How do you answer it? Do you say "Well, I would do this!"?? No! You say "And I really hope they don't let deaf people drive where you live. That'd scare the shit out of me, too." Man, you keep showing that your discrimination and ignorance has no bounds!

You know what? You are right! You are the perfect citizen that does everything right and just happen to find every bad cop that is having a bad day and piss them off due to no fault of your own. There is no way they can read your non verbal signs! You are way too smart for that! You do nothing to provoke animosity. You are an perfect angel fallen from the sky. It must all be bad luck.

You keep believing that, keep getting into hassles with cops on traffic stops, and keep getting tickets! Have fun!

Enough time wasted on your ignorance. The more you talk, the more you show how little you know.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln

You have proved that with your statements in this thread!

"Young men think old men are fools; but old men know young men are fools."
Truman Capote

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
Bill Cosby

Go ahead and get in the last word. Some intellegent gem like "I know you are, but what am I?" You will be talking to yourself, as I am done talking to you.

Last edited by brdss; 05-19-2006 at 04:31 AM.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:10 PM
I cant take it anymore, as a former police officer of 10yrs at the local and federal level......i can honestly say, with relative ease and confidence, that I joined FitFreak.net to talk about FITs.

I believe this thread has officially reached a stalemate.....or rather I HOPE it has.

Old 05-19-2006, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by motostyle
I cant take it anymore, as a former police officer of 10yrs at the local and federal level......i can honestly say, with relative ease and confidence, that I joined FitFreak.net to talk about FITs.

I believe this thread has officially reached a stalemate.....or rather I HOPE it has.
Dang it, why did you bump this thread back up? Mods, I think this thread should be closed...

Old 05-19-2006, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by choro72
Dang it, why did you bump this thread back up? Mods, I think this thread should be closed...
sorry.....but ahhh.....i believe one of the biggest offenders in this thread was a MOD?

Old 05-19-2006, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by motostyle
sorry.....but ahhh.....i believe one of the biggest offenders in this thread was a MOD?
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to snap at you. I was just frustrated with this thread...
It was a mod?? I wasn't paying attention. ah, well then...I'll be the mom. Stop fighting!! Go to your rooms!! No buts!

Old 05-19-2006, 05:57 PM
Dont worry about it....there wasnt any offense taken.

Quick Reply: got pulled over by a cop tonight...