General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Blown Around in the Wind?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 01:23 PM
ski
5 Year Member
The Fit is relatively stable in strong winds considering its light weight, high sides(Read: high C of G), and short wheel base. And its overly heavy nose does help to improve stability. However, it's still not as stable as other vehicles with a similar weight and wheel base, but which also have a stiffer suspension, a lower C of G, and/or lower aspect ratio tires. In fact, several Fit owners who had either stiffened the suspension, lowered the body, or installed wider tires reported improved handling in windy conditions.
BTW, I'm seriously considering installing wider tires on mine when the originals need replacing.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
I have never had any problems due to high winds since I bought my Fit in July 2006..... The faster I drive it the more stable it feels so I just drive faster on windy days.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
Much of what's been said so far is correct. The Fit is tall, light and slab-sided, so it's susceptible to crosswinds and wind "wash" from larger vehicles - it's even mentioned in the owner's manual.

It's nothing a good grip on the steering wheel can't remedy though - no real need for wider tires or lowering to counteract that IMHO.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:00 PM
My '08 was absolutely terrible in this regard for the first 5000 miles or so. I wouldn't -or more accurately, couldn't- even drive highway speed because it would drive as if it had toe-out in front. Letting go of the steering wheel to check alignment was for all intents a suicidal move. I really had a lane-to-lane crosswind experience at just 65mph within the first month of driving it. Apparently when the suspension bushings wear a little it has a stabilizing effect because I don't even notice it anymore. Goes straight as an arrow, unless the crosswind gets particularly nasty, or for some reason if the headwind is gale force.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
Lightbulb Widening the width of the Fit's track

From what I've read on this it's the tires being tucked into the car. two ways to widen the track of the car 1: new rim$ and prob. tire$, the 2nd is what I'm leaning towards and that is the bolt on spacers this will also place the wheels further out and adds stability. I'll do a thread on this within the next 10 days with pix and let you know if it is a viable way to help with what can be a prob.I do like my Fit but, on a windy day at hiway speeds it does get stressful.
Factory track for the GD3 is front 57.3", rear is 57.1"
Going to 58.8" front and 58.9" rear............so we will c

Old 01-02-2010, 09:39 AM
ski
5 Year Member
Test reports have shown that the steering on the 09 and later Fits is not as precise as it was on earlier models. This is due to many earlier Fit owners complaining that the their vehicles were too sensitive to steering inputs. So owners of pre-2009 models probably do not have the same problem with wind gusts.
Also, my 09 Fit wanders in gusty winds at highway speeds even when holding the steering wheel rock steady.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:55 AM
I hear the beatrush underpanel helps reduce that problem by sucking the fit to the highway (and also giving you more mpg and decreasing engine temps).

I too know what you are talking about and I do alot of highway driving, normally at least for 3 hours on end, so im looking into getting one- 3 hours is a long trip for me, but 10x if I have to constantly be on my car- im not saying its out of control, but i do need to stay on it far more than normal in high winds...

its not as bad with passengers and gear..... maybe just invest in some cinder blocks for windy days? The fits mileage will go down to normal car mileage and you wont have to spend time prying your fingers off the wheel when you get there.....

Old 01-02-2010, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
I have installed 7" Enkei RPF1 with 42 mm offset wheels and Continental Conti Pro Contact tires in 155-55-15" size with the XL 89 load rating and and RunCool hood louvers on my 2007 Fit.... The wheels and tires definitely improved stability for obvious reasons and the louvers have also helped by drawing air from under the hood that would other wise exit underneath the car directing it into the wind shield and over the car.... A 4 1/2 hour drive in my wife's Subaru Forester during 45 mph constant winds with heavy gust periodically on Christmas Eve had me wishing we had taken the Fit despite the fact that it was lightly snowing and we were in a more comfortable car with all wheel drive.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
You'll adjust to crosswind handling, or lack of it, after a while. When we first got ours a year ago, I'd feel sore across the shoulders from fighting the wheel in the winter crosswinds. We just finished 2,400 miles in the past two weeks and I don't think I thought about the wind once (except for much lower mpg in headwinds).

Cheers

Old 01-05-2010, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ski
Test reports have shown that the steering on the 09 and later Fits is not as precise as it was on earlier models. This is due to many earlier Fit owners complaining that the their vehicles were too sensitive to steering inputs. So owners of pre-2009 models probably do not have the same problem with wind gusts.
Also, my 09 Fit wanders in gusty winds at highway speeds even when holding the steering wheel rock steady.
Interesting, do you have links to these reports?

It might have something to do with the beefed-up EPS motor on the GEs. The GD EPS motor was rated at 40A; the GE EPS motor was uprated to 60A.

Regarding GDs being too sensitive to steering input - that's certainly true if you came from a car with hydraulic-assisted steering (which would be 99% of us). It's just a matter of trusting the car and getting used to it though.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ski
Strikes me that what you're saying should have just exactly the opposite effect? I too heard from someone who wouldn't buy an '07 Fit because after a test drive he thot it was "all over the road; too fast steering, too twitchy"! -And IMO that would certainly cause more, not less, lateral movement during windy conditions! The '09-'10 Fits are heavier, more rigidly constructed, slower steering, with reinforced and stiffer rear suspension lateral control. And all these changes should certainly make for a more stable ride, rather than a lesser one!

Perhaps it's because I'm an experienced motorbike rider and small car driver ('03 Toyota Echo, 1980's Colt, 1960's VW Beetle) that I think my '10 FIt is a stable handler in the wind? Because AFAIC my 2010 Base AT handles more solidly in windy conditions than any vehicle I've driven in a while! -Even our old '92 Plymouth Voyager minivan (the shorter version) was far more prone to drift sideways in a good wind!

Anyway, I'm quite happy with the way my Fit rides at speed on the highways, be it windy or no, and find it very relaxing to be able to cruise around with just one hand on the steering wheel or with my two hands resting on the lower edge; something which I would feel uncomfortable doing with our Echo! -I suspect it's the improved extreme nose-down dynamics that help glue the newer model Fits to the road, as that's certainly a well proven design for good road handling under wind pressures!

And here's another question to ponder: Does your wind-wandering Fit have that Sport spoiler way up high on the roof? Since my '10 Base model doesn't seem to wander as much as your '09 does, I'm wondering now if perhaps that roof 'spoiler', instead of providing better handling, doesn't perhaps cause some ~lift~ in the rear that makes the vehicle drift more in windy conditions? -Hmmmmmmm???

Last edited by Chazzlee; 01-06-2010 at 01:21 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chazzlee
And here's another question to ponder: Does your wind-wandering Fit have that Sport spoiler way up high on the roof? Since my '10 Base model doesn't seem to wander as much as your '09 does, I'm wondering now if perhaps that roof 'spoiler', instead of providing better handling, doesn't perhaps cause some ~lift~ in the rear that makes the vehicle drift more in windy conditions? -Hmmmmmmm???
heh. I'm always suspicious of add-ons not part of the original design. The base without all the treatments should have the lowest drag coefficient. This probably helps minimize the effect of cross wind too.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Could it be the tires?

Every car I've owned has had the roadholding performance affected by the relative grippiness of the tires. My Mazda Tribute was a hazard to drive in rain or snow with the OEM Goodyears HPs. With Yokohamas on it, it was very good in rain, ice and snow, but of course all wheel drive helped. My '10 Fit Sport AT/no nav seems very good on the highway, in winds and, recently in snow, slush and icy conditions in Cleveland. I have the Dunlop 7000s and the only complaint I have is that they tend to follow pavement grooves overmuch. I have a hard time relating to those that think this car is lousy- or who have a hard time holding it on the road. It would interest me if we'd all correlate our relative goodness or badness of highway wind handling with our tires: my experience: Dunlop 700s= good in wind rain and snow. Others?

Old 01-06-2010, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
heh. I'm always suspicious of add-ons not part of the original design. The base without all the treatments should have the lowest drag coefficient. This probably helps minimize the effect of cross wind too.

Ya but. We Sports go so much faster because of the optional HP increase we need the downforce the wing provides.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
When the time comes to replace my tires I'll probably go with something a little wider.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
I drove the Aerostar that's in my sig pic for almost 6 years. It was a sleeper cab semi that had the sleeper chopped off, and was turned into a 22' curtainside straight truck. Even with a full 32,000 lb load, it was like trying to drive a sailboat in heavy crosswinds.

I'm now driving a chevy cargo van between 500 and 1000 miles a week. That thing gets blown all over the highway when it's empty. Put 1000lbs in the back, and it ain't too bad.

My Fit is feels rock solid (to me) in crosswinds compared to those two.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Ya but. We Sports go so much faster because of the optional HP increase we need the downforce the wing provides.
Yas? -Tell'ya tho bro, I'd like to see some real world true wind-testing between two same year Fits with and w/o that spoiler! It's sort of unusual y'know, being so high up and close in on the back of the roof like that? Are you really so sure it causes downforce, and not ~lift~ in windy conditions?
(Heh heh, he sayz, twirling his long black mustache..)

Hey, it wouldn't be the first time an auto manufacturer slapped on a wing or a spoiler simply for "cool"(?) looks, w/o any regard for how it really affects handling......

Old 01-07-2010, 07:30 AM
5 Year Member
I haven't seen anyone put a wide body kit in a while.... The last guy with a body kit said it made his car feel more stable at speeds over 110MPH.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I haven't seen anyone put a wide body kit in a while.... The last guy with a body kit said it made his car feel more stable at speeds over 110MPH.
LOL! -I'd have to take his word on that. It's not something my wunnerful 'lil Fit will ever be expected to do!
(Not unless I suddenly find myself chased by a bunch of howling banshees!!)

Years ago I once wound a 1961 VW Beetle up to 90+MPH (on a long downhill..), and that's how I discovered that's when they begin to fly!! -And I do mean "fly", because the full body pan underneath those cars would begin to give you a good deal of ~lift~ off the ground at those speeds!! Scary as all hell!
(-But they did float pretty good because of that belly pan..!)

I've had bikes up to the ton; my '80 400cc Hawk once at 105MPH, my '91 750cc Nighthawk also around there... But thas when I was a lot younger, crazier, and stupider!
Currently I consider 80MPH my upper limit personal redline, and I rarely do that except for long highway trips. I haven't had the opportunity to bo anything more than maybe 65-70 MPH with the '10 Fit yet, but there's no doubt in my mind she'll handle okay at 80. -And IMO thas all I'll ever need on USA roads, really...

Old 01-07-2010, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
Yas? -Tell'ya tho bro, I'd like to see some real world true wind-testing between two same year Fits with and w/o that spoiler! It's sort of unusual y'know, being so high up and close in on the back of the roof like that? Are you really so sure it causes downforce, and not ~lift~ in windy conditions?
(Heh heh, he sayz, twirling his long black mustache..)

Hey, it wouldn't be the first time an auto manufacturer slapped on a wing or a spoiler simply for "cool"(?) looks, w/o any regard for how it really affects handling......
Well the speeds we go I doubt it makes much dif. I do know I have not have any problem with blowing around at 70 - 75 mph except maybe a stong gust and you more feel than car actually moving.

LOL! -I'd have to take his word on that. It's not something my wunnerful 'lil Fit will ever be expected to do!
(Not unless I suddenly find myself chased by a bunch of howling banshees!!)

Years ago I once wound a 1961 VW Beetle up to 90+MPH (on a long downhill..), and that's how I discovered that's when they begin to fly!! -And I do mean "fly", because the full body pan underneath those cars would begin to give you a good deal of ~lift~ off the ground at those speeds!! Scary as all hell!
(-But they did float pretty good because of that belly pan..!)

I've had bikes up to the ton; my '80 400cc Hawk once at 105MPH, my '91 750cc Nighthawk also around there... But thas when I was a lot younger, crazier, and stupider!
Currently I consider 80MPH my upper limit personal redline, and I rarely do that except for long highway trips. I haven't had the opportunity to bo anything more than maybe 65-70 MPH with the '10 Fit yet, but there's no doubt in my mind she'll handle okay at 80. -And IMO thas all I'll ever need on USA roads, really...
I cruise around 75 most of the time on major hwy and it is just fine. Been up to 140 a couple of times - oh wait that is Kms.

Quick Reply: Blown Around in the Wind?