General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

My First Fit Roadtrip/Snow Experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up My First Fit Roadtrip/Snow Experience

Hey all, the Northeast got hit hard last weekend with a pretty big snowstorm that also coincided with a roadtrip I had planned for Niagara Falls/Canada. When I left the snow had been falling for about an hour and did not stop until I hit New York (drove from eastern NJ through PA to get into west NY). Along the way I saw a lot of bad accidents (one car in a ditch and another hit and broke a barrier but luckily did not fall over) along with a lot of slipping and sliding.

I was a bit worried as this was my first time driving the Fit in not just snow but really bad snow. I've only ever driven a 4X4 SUV before in my life so driving in inclement weather has never been an issue for me. To my shock and surprise, the Fit handled amazingly well! I never felt like I lost control of the car or felt stuck. The car pushed right past the snow. I didn't have one single issue the entire trip other than the trip taking longer than expected due to the snow.

Now I made sure to keep my distance, drive slow and follow clear tire marks as much as possible but there were times when I felt like I was in the middle of nowhere in a blizzard without a sign of humanity in sight and the Fit kept plowing through! Oh btw, I had to make 2 less trips to the gas station as well compared to the last time I made this same trip in my old clunker (gas was cheaper than too!)

Anyway, just wanted to say I love the Fit!

Old 12-27-2009, 02:00 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Glad you made it through the snow without any problems and that Fit kept you plowing through. I have always been impressed with the Fit in the snow. I use to own a Ford Ranger XLT and the Fit feels much safer and more in control than that truck did.

Cat :x

Old 12-27-2009, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
I also wish I had taken pics before I washed it. The Fit looks great covered in dry snow and mud with only the front and back windows wiper cleaned.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:34 PM
Good to hear the Fit is fine in snow. We missed it this weekend ourselves, fortunately. Do you have snow tires on it?

Barb

Old 12-27-2009, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Barb
Good to hear the Fit is fine in snow. We missed it this weekend ourselves, fortunately. Do you have snow tires on it?

Barb
No snow tires on during the trip, stock all the way. Was planning on getting snow tires but just didn't have time to buy them and put them on before the trip. I will probably be buying snow tires soon though just because I like to be more safe than sorry.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:15 PM
I'm glad to hear that you made it and with the Fit. I was in the same boat going to work with my tires that are almost bald. The Fit handled great while the other cars are driving very slow, I was driving normally and I made it to work without too much worries. I love my Fit!

Old 12-27-2009, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
Unplowed roads out here. Veeeeeeeery slick. The Fit is sure-footed but you better have plenty of room ahead to stop. VSA will keep the car going where you point it, and ABS will let you steer while you clamp on the binders, but there's no substitute for distance between you and the stop sign.

Cheers.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:31 PM
i loooove my fit in the snow! i feel completely safe in it =] im glad that you had a good experience as well!