General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 10:19 PM
Thumbs up Fit pros and cons

Hi to all! I am a new member and have been lurking here for a few weeks and have closely followed the approach of the Fit to US shores for 2 years. I am delighted to own a Storm Silver AT and would like to share some observatiions about the Fit:

Let's put things in perspective...the average car price is now over $26k. A loaded Fit is $16k. Indeed, it lacks a dead pedal, armrest,seat height adjustment and sunroof. These things can be added for very little $ and I feel the car is a great deal.

The Fit is very well rounded and one of the safest and most advanced cars you can buy. Also, the car is fun to drive, will be reliable, easy on gas and the enviroment and has plenty of room for my dogs!

If the seat had height adjustment it would still be impossible to see the hood because the front of the car slopes at roughly the same angle as the rake of the windshield...put your head against the headliner, look forward, and you still can't see the front of the car. Most modern cars are this way, and if that is unacceptable duct tape a stick on your front plate until you get comfortable with where the front of the car is or buy any square car from the 1970's!

Additionally, to clear up some confusion, cars do not feature "parabolic" steering columns but may feature "telescopic" steering columns.The Fit has neither.

The covered hole in the front bumper covers a nut welded in the front bumper. A threaded eyelet in the Fit toolkit threads into the nut, allowing a towtruck to extract the Fit from a ditch and tow the Fit for a short distance without marring the bumper or front spoiler.

I think Honda omitted the armrest for 2 reasons: cost and refresh mode. Can you imagine how uncomfortable refresh mode would be with arm armrest? I added a Zeta flip up armrest today because I don't plan on using refresh mode.

So far, with 570 miles on the car, I have averaged about 34 mpg with easy throttle and 20% highway,80% suburban "easy" driving at speeds up to 45. On the highway, this car is one of the quietest cars I have ever owned.

I stopped driving Honda's because they kept growing is size and price...I have owned a 84 Civic HB,89 HB,91 Si HB,93 CX HB, 95 VX HB, 97 Accord wagon, Integra GSR and a 98 CRV...this is the best ever. I am so thankful Honda brought this car to the US despite the low mark up.

Old 05-12-2006, 10:35 PM
Right on! Welcome aboard...

Old 05-12-2006, 10:41 PM
I agree...I couldn't stand the Civic growing in size, but unfortunately, Honda had to follow every other manufacturer. I'm glad to see Honda take a step back (in size) with the new Civic, however, I wish they had done a better job designing the front of the sedan...or offered the Asia version.

Old 05-12-2006, 11:38 PM
Master FitFreaker
welcome to the club man

Old 05-13-2006, 02:40 AM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
your in the right spot

Old 05-13-2006, 06:20 AM
Thanks for the welcome! I like the looks of the redesigned Civic but read somewhere that it is actually longer that the previous generation Accord! I will bet you can't see the hood of the Civic even with a height adjustment on the seat LOL. My lifestyle demands a four door hatch or wagon, and the 3 door Civic Si burning premium gas and rated at 30mpg highway with manual transmission didn't cut it. My other car is a 1999 5 speed Miata, which has some serious limitations to cargo capacity.