General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit in flash flood, car died won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
so... what does the Dr say? Will your Fit live?

Old 12-18-2009, 10:27 PM
its dead. They want to total it.

They told me it hydrolocked and has bent valves.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
I don't know how this sets you up for a replacement. Maybe you could negotiate with them on paying for a used engine. Totaling it is best considering resale value etc. but not if you're not in a position to replace it.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:22 AM
Good news is they values the car at $12,000+ which after everything will give me about $7000 to buy another car with (downside is as I Am not working, it won't be a Fit)
I guess I'll look for a mid 2000s Corolla or Civic, manual.
I'll miss my hatch however.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
sigh...

On the plus side 7grand will buy a great older civic or corolla and no car payments!

I heard there were a lot of flood damaged cars being resold down there, watch out.

Seriously, invest in a carfax subscription for a month (unlimited vin checks) before you start shopping.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:24 PM
I would buy the car back from the insurance for $500 and get some engine work done.
how do they know it has bent valves? pure guess,
take the spark plugs out and crank the sucker ;-)

Old 01-06-2010, 05:05 PM
they likely did compression and leakdown test, then if it failed, pulled the head

Old 01-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I know it is too late for the OP, but all the mechanics I've ever asked about this say that if you even suspect that your car has water in the engine, NEVER EVER try to start it!!! Just get it towed to a reputable mechanic and let them dry it out before anything else. If you crank the car you ASSURE that it will fry the computer and bend the rods, etc. It is almost instinctive to try to start the car, but really, you MAY be able to save the engine if you resist. Mechanics in LA know how to deal with flooded cars! Here, too. Sometimes they can't be saved no matter what, but sometimes, they can be.

I would price out replacement engines and see if the insurance would let me buy the car back.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:30 PM
Local detects BIG LIE

I was the "local" in the car.

This is what REALLY happened.

We were at the edge of a down ramp in a parking garage on a two way ramp. Traffic was flowing each way, about 7 cars per minute, in and out of the water. The water was at ankle level, prob about 6 inches right at base of ramp. I sternly TOLD vamp to STOP!. I then instructed her to PAY attention. I then repeated the following three times AND made her rehearse. I told her to place the car in park, then rev the engine, then idle at a very low speed of about 5 mph. I told her once she drove off the ramp to NOT ever let up on the gas pedal, not one bit, TO KEEP A STEADY CONSTACT SLOW SPEED. I explained that if she let up on the gas, water might rush into the engine. The distance through the very low water was only about 20 feet (ankle deep). She repeated my instructions, then about 8 feet out, COMPLETELY let up on the gas and then depressed again. The car stalled. I told her NOT to try to start it again, and got out to push into a parking space. I told her to let it sit and dry a few days. Her anxiety wouldn't allow her to react with patience.

She refused all advice including a ride home and free AAA tow.

What did she do? Ignore all advice. Try to start the car multiple times and BLOG here.

I told her if she let up on the gas she would stall the car. Vamp never heeds advice.

I'm a local, driving in floods for twenty years in Japanese cars, never stalled on once, even in a foot of water. Locals know how to drive in water.

I even found a local Honda mechanic who offered to give the car a once over. He insited it was NOT totaled. But, No, she wouldn't spend the $100. The car was totaled by Gieco after being inspected at a body shop specializing in custom paint on Ford Trucks, not mechanics. Vamp wanted the money and wanted out of the car note. This she admits freely to MOST, but to quite a few others, she lies and blames the "local"

Honestly, I'm so tied of Vamp's lies and half-truths.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
Is she gone yet? OK let's talk about the locals some more.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:16 AM
Vamp

....argued that a carfax is unnessary. She did however negotiate FOR THREE HOURS that the used car lot repaint a few invisible marks on the hood.

She did NOT in that time ONCE ask if the timimg belt/chain had been changed (over 100 mileson on the used Corolla).

Priorities!!!!
LMAO

Old 02-22-2010, 01:26 AM
5 Year Member
This turned from normal thread to odd thread in a very few moments.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:27 AM
Read it completely through. You'll understand

Old 02-22-2010, 01:32 AM
5 Year Member
I did... I was just wondering how you even knew about this thread, lol.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:35 AM
A friend found it and emailed a link.

I wish I could say this behaviour unusual, but it seems, "my friend", tells whoppers to cover her bad judgment and BLAMES me quite a bit! lol

I guess I was always the last to know, but I know NOW!

Old 02-22-2010, 09:32 AM
5 Year Member
Kate, if anyone is talking behind someone's back, that would be you. Have a look at your posts.

But please continue.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Hey I'd be royally hacked off if I'd tried to help a friend and she did that to me - ignored my instructions and then posted that a "local" had told her to gun it through standing water. I don't blame Kate for correcting the lies. But I hope this thread doesn't become a flame war between them!

Old 02-22-2010, 10:41 AM
Exactly Julienne

My post is a clarification of the LIES written about me and the situation.

There is nothing here I haven't told Vamp to her face LOUD and clear.

Trust that Vamp has lied to several people that I totalled her car.

Several lies have been advanced online by this person, always skewing the truth, implying her victim status, and contending that others are the bad guys.

Her error in character is only compunded by her compulsion to place her lies online to be found later.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Caveat: My family offered to drop a new engine in for free. Not bc of fault, bc she is an older poor student and they are generous to her. Vamp couldn't accept the free engine as she would then have to continue the car note for another year and 1/2 and she quit a high paying job last year to volunteer on a political campaign.

Another of her BIG online woes is how she is unemployed, after she QUIT a 50k position.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
I wish I could quit my stupid job and do something I felt was important.

Sounds like a win win. She killed her car (accidentally) got out from underneath payments she didn't want. I don't interpret her version as saying anyone was at fault ("maybe I hesitated"). She wasn't dissing the locals. Maybe you feel responsible?

Quick Reply: Fit in flash flood, car died won't start