General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The FIT is NO?!?!?...my horrid dealer experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
I know we are picky around here and stuff especially about $$$ and new cars that aren't cheap, but I dunno... I bought mine with a 1" stain on the passenger seat, but I don't really care. It washed out a little bit, but I just accepted it as part of the character of my vehicle -- it doesn't affect how it will provide me will excellent usage. I think I see a paint blemish as the same thing... I would've just argued some mats or cargo cover out of it and called it quits! Unless the car was for show and stereo and whatnot.

Last edited by xorbe; 05-12-2006 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:03 PM
In addition to reporting it to Corporate Honda, you might want to think about reporting it to the Better Business Bureau. http://www.bbb.org/

Old 05-12-2006, 04:09 PM
part of honda's corporate philosophy touches on this...i pulled it off the website:

"Company Principle: Maintaining a global viewpoint, we are dedicated to supplying products of the highest quality yet at a reasonable price for worldwide customer satisfaction."

to me, highest quality doesn't include paint flaws and stains not of my own making...just my 2 cents.

Old 05-12-2006, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitCustomer
Honda should have a mechanism in place and be proactive for situations where a car is to be returned/resold/whatever due to an unsatified situation and the exact same car is rushed/shipped/built (pulled out of a hat) I don't care what they do, but have some plan in place.

Honda Corp needs to work out a better plan, rather than making a customer get back in line, so to speak. I just think Honda Corp representative must've seen this before in other cars and perhaps because it happens not often enough
no one really cares losing a few sales looking at the big picture.
Considering that every Fit on the lot in Canada is sold, I can't honestly see any hot car being kept back for fixing potential problems. Esp how you would need one of every trim/color, and even then, the customer may not be satisfied because it has different options.

You can't really fix it at the drop of a hat. Trying to accelerate the build of the next car also seems unrealistic, since it will just push the date of the last guy in line even later, meaning you end up with another dissatisfied customer somewhere down the line.

EG. I was the last of the orders to be shipped in May. Had Honda Canada pushed someone else's order up ahead of me as described above, I would have been pushed all the way to July. I for one would get pretty annoyed.

Old 05-12-2006, 04:30 PM
While their actions seem smarmy, they really could have made you accept a replacement - or keep your first one. If you signed a contract to buy a car, then they could hold you to it.

So while it may not have been a great situation, it could have been worse.

Old 05-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by annie
In addition to reporting it to Corporate Honda, you might want to think about reporting it to the Better Business Bureau. http://www.bbb.org/
where did u get your fit?? I am thinking get my Fit from the Honda of Santa Ana

Old 05-12-2006, 08:28 PM
I've got to lock this down. Being that the "power that be" sometimes search these sorts of sites, I don't want this to get down to jeopardizing my fiance's job. Had she not been an employee, I'd be giving them hell...but given the circumstances I need to give it a rest.

So short summary:
The new Fit had a paint problem. Kuhn couldn't find a replacement and sold the flawed Fit to another customer before I even returned it. Frustrating experience all around, but I'm not out any money..and for that I am greatful.

Kuhn has come forward and has offered to find any Fit I want, but this came after my deposit was put down on the xB.

Old 05-13-2006, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FIT_pink
part of honda's corporate philosophy touches on this...i pulled it off the website:

"Company Principle: Maintaining a global viewpoint, we are dedicated to supplying products of the highest quality yet at a reasonable price for worldwide customer satisfaction."

to me, highest quality doesn't include paint flaws and stains not of my own making...just my 2 cents.
I understand, for some it is important! But for some, we let lesser things slide... just an alternate viewpoint, that's all. I'm going to do far worse to my Fit than the tiny blemish on the passenger's seat... for sure... (heading to SF tomorrow -- bumper dents, noooo!)

Old 05-13-2006, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by choro72
I came here again to say the exact same thing. I had a horrible experience buying the Fit with Hardin Honda Anaheim, and I called the main Honda to report them about it. I don't know how effective it is, but at least I've done what I can on my part to let the higher people know what's going on. And of course, you can go to other Honda forums and warn the other people too

As Bukwheat says, it's how business work a lot of times. Of course it's wrong of them, and it never occured to me that dealers would do something like this. I'm especially shocked because I was really close to buying a Fit I haven't seen myself. I guess it's a lesson to me that I should never agree on a car unless I've checked it with my own eyes.
It's funny you mentioned buying a Fit without having seen the actual car you're buying. I had seen one at the Washington Auto Show and fell in love with it even though it was locked and you couldn't sit in it. I guess I was going on past experience with Hondas. I never had a Honda I didn't love!
I started emailing and calling around in January. The dealer where I ended up buying my Fit couldn't believe I was interested in a car I hadn't even driven yet. When I said I wanted to put down a deposit so I was sure the first one coming in was mine, he really thought I was nuts. (Although, he never refused to take my money.) I guess I got lucky, because I absolutely love this car!

Old 05-13-2006, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
My dealer thought I was nuts, too (wanting to put down a deposit on a car I had never even sat in). After the first Fits came into his dealership, he said to me, "It looks like YOU were the smart one on this deal!"

Old 05-13-2006, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by switchbrdopr
It's funny you mentioned buying a Fit without having seen the actual car you're buying. I had seen one at the Washington Auto Show and fell in love with it even though it was locked and you couldn't sit in it. I guess I was going on past experience with Hondas. I never had a Honda I didn't love!
I started emailing and calling around in January. The dealer where I ended up buying my Fit couldn't believe I was interested in a car I hadn't even driven yet. When I said I wanted to put down a deposit so I was sure the first one coming in was mine, he really thought I was nuts. (Although, he never refused to take my money.) I guess I got lucky, because I absolutely love this car!
I agree you don't need to look at it to like it. I did my own research beforehand as well and I was pretty sure I was going to buy it at the end of March. However, what I was saying was, before I pay for it or commit to it, everyone should look at the car first because like this other person that got screwed, you might end up with a car with 250 miles on it. Look at the car first because you don't know what the dealer is trying to sell to you.

Old 05-14-2006, 03:57 AM
Are all honda dealers scum?? ADM on every car in the lot around here in Florida.
Why, because they can??? Does honda condone this??

Old 05-14-2006, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by lyndab5685
Are all honda dealers scum?? ADM on every car in the lot around here in Florida.
Why, because they can??? Does honda condone this??
They might not condone it, but Honda of America is not stupid? Do you think
Honda of America is so out of touch with the customer experience? They're just
looking the other way as long as sales are high! Obviously people still
are buying the FIT and Honda probably is just telling all their dealers
to keep up the good work and keep those customer coming!

Last edited by FitCustomer; 05-14-2006 at 12:49 PM.