General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

SAFETY: my FIT Saved my Life (pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 04:07 PM
Exclamation SAFETY: my FIT Saved my Life (pictures)

HI EVERYBODY
This Past Saturday i had a pretty bad accident with my 2008 Honda FIT Sport...
If anyone ever wondered if the Honda FIT is a safe car, the story that i am ready to tell will help clear up your mind about what those 5 starts in the Crash Test ratings meant in my case.

It was Saturday night... actually Sunday Morning and i was Driving on an Interstate, i was not in rush so i set my Cruise Control and kept going while i was talking on the phone with a Friend of mine when all of a Sudden a Black VW Jetta appears in front of me sideways in the middle of the Interstate.

Fortunately i have the habit of keeping my foot on the top of the Brake pedal even if i have the Cruise Control set... well, it didn't help much, i didn't even have a split second to brake and i slammed on the side of the Car at about 65mph.

My Car drifted on the right on the grass while i pushed the Jetta in the last lane on the left of the Interstate.

I immediatly opened the door to let the fumes from all the Airbags to go out and not get intoxicated, then i looked for the Phone, on which my Friend was trying to call me because he heard all the noise and me saying:
"Ahi ahi ahi..."

I Found the Phone, i told him to come to help me out that i just got into a bad accident.
I stepped out of the Car and looked for the other Car, right in that moment another Car comes, almost hits him, loses control, and goes to hit the Guard Rail... the Jetta was so badly messed up that i could not see the guy inside.

What happened is the following: the guy was Drunk and driving in the opposite direction as me, somehow he lost control of his car on the Straightaway, hitted the GuardRail on the right side braking his HeadLights and bounced back, crossed all the lanes of his side of the Interstate and went against the end of the Median GuardRail (there was an opening to let emergency vehicles go thru) and arrived in the middle of my side of the Interstate right when i was coming closind the 2nd and 3rd lanes... the car was Black so i really didn't see it until the last moment.

The Police not only found out that he was very Drunk, but he also resulted positive to the Drug Test... also he didn't have a Driver's license due to a previous Drunk Driving Violation.

They had to cut the his car pretty much everywhere to take him out, i don't know how he survived since my car reduced to half width his car.
Amazingly he got out without a single bone broken.

My FIT has totally lost the nose, which destroyed itself absorbing the impact, all Airbags deployed, the one in the face felt like a Pillow Slam in my face, but nothing more, the Side Airbags came out but they were pointless in this case, the Windows didn't even brake.

Fortunately i always wear the SeatBelt... i have 2 bruises in my hips left by the SeatBelt and my Chest is soar, but other than that, i am fine.

Today is thank's giving day, and i have for sure to be thankful to whoever made sure i didn't get hurt in the accident... now other than words... i believe that Pictures will make everybody understand better the kind of accident it was:

Even the Wheels broke in the impact... altho the nose of my FIT is totally folded in to absorb the impact, the living quarter remained perfectly intact and so me too.
The Doors still opened fine, and even the remote lock system still works... those Engineers in Japan did a great job in making this car, whatever they projected, it worked the way the expected it allowing me to walk out uninjured from this accident.

The next picture is the picture of the car that i hitted:

Somehow, even he got out without a single broken bone... i found one of my headlights inside his Vehicle... i think he got the worse side of the stick, altho now, i will have to look for a new FIT ;-(
REGARDS

Last edited by CrazySte; 11-26-2009 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Fixing Pictures Links
Old 11-26-2009, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
Glad you're ok!!!!!! Your car is toast but at least you're in good shape and that's all that matters!!! Good Luck and Happy Thanks Giving to you!!!

Old 11-26-2009, 04:20 PM
glad you're safe.

how much reaction time did you lose cause you were on your phone?

Old 11-26-2009, 05:12 PM
A sample of one, even with a passionate testimony, is not going to "help clear up your mind" of doubts about a car's safety, but I'm glad to see that you're OK! There's a significant mass difference between a Fit and a Jetta (a Jetta weighs almost as much as an Accord), but this is about as close to the classic NHTSA flat into a wall crash as you can get without hitting, well, a wall!

Old 11-26-2009, 08:22 PM
I'm glad you are ok!!! Good luck to you in the future

Old 11-26-2009, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
it's a miracle that you and the other driver are alive you are Blessed be Thankful.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member
All the more reasons to upgrade to a Ge8

Seriously though, good thing you made it out in one piece.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:04 PM
HI EVERYBODY
the reaction time was close to zero, meaning that the car appeared in front of me no more than 50 feet from me, possibly less.
Fortunatelly, i always drive with my foot ready on the Brake Pedal when i am on Cruise Control, that gave me a split second of braking time, meaning that i had the Cruise Control set at 70mph, the guy appeared in front of my lights, i slammed the brake and heard the tires squeeking for maybe a half a second, then it was impact... there was no space to say reaction time or any avoiding manouvers... the Jetta appeared in front of me from behind the guardrail too close to be able to do anything, and since it was black i didn't even realized it was a car, i just saw a black shadow in front of me and i reacted, i realized it was a car in the instant i hitted it.
Fortunately we are both ok... too bad insurances don't buy you a new car like the one you had in these cases... i don't kno whwere i will find the money to finance a new FIT.
REGARDS

Old 11-26-2009, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
Glad to hear your ok and your Fit kept you safe.... sorry about tho loss of the fit, I hope you are able to replace it soon, thanks for sharing your story, its very reassuring knowing the Fit will keep it passengers safe, again sorry for your loss and good luck!

Old 11-27-2009, 01:09 AM
5 Year Member
Glad to hear you're okay. Thanks for your story, and pics.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
holycrap! glad to hear you came out of that one with only a few bruises.

thanks for the picts and wish you a quick recovery from your injury and a new car.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
good to hear you're ok but using a cellphone while driving is a big no no. here its illegal.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
Oh, that'll buff right out! But seriously, Honda knows how to build a car and that ACE body construction ain't no joke. I'm glad your okay.
I totalled my 08 Si about 3 weeks ago and that's why I'm in a Fit right now. Literally and figuratively. It's good to know I'm just as safe in my Fit as I was in my Si.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:05 AM
Glad you're OK man. I too had my Fit totalled in Nov..my buddy borrowed it, and 5 minutes from my house, someone in a 4 door sedan ran him off the road and took off.. luckily he's fine, and I should have my GE by the end of the week. . Good luck getting back in a Fit!

Old 12-01-2009, 10:17 AM
Amazing. Happy to see you are alright!

Old 12-01-2009, 12:20 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Sorry to hear about your accident but happy to know that you are OK. Not so much for the Fit though but yes, it did its job keeping you safe. Hope you get things worked out and get back on the road soon.

Cat :x

Old 12-01-2009, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
That's a pretty bad accident. Good that you wasn't seriously hurt.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:26 AM
glad you're safe...

demand a new fit or a fat check to replace your lost fit....

Old 12-04-2009, 07:25 AM
5 Year Member
This is pretty reassuring re safety of the Fit design. The other driver is the lucky one in this crash -- had his car been turned 180 degrees, you would have hit the driver side of the car, and judging from the photos, survival would have been unlikely.