General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Considering a having a Fit

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
Considering a having a Fit

My commute is about 60 miles a day, mostly highway. I am thinking of getting a Fit to save some money. I am also looking at a few other cars (Mazda 3, Chevrolet HHR), but I read great things about the Fit. I was excited to find this forum! I have had a variety of small cars, but I usually tend toward more power, less economical choices.

Last edited by bigcanoe; 11-22-2009 at 12:10 AM.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member
I average 32mpg around metro Atlanta (it seems to be going up as it gets more miles on it). Anecdotal evidence is 40mpg should be pretty normal for highway driving. It's a good commuter car for the price.

The MT seems low geared for highway driving. The auto is fine.

Noise levels are acceptable. A/C is barely adequate (if you park in the sun you'll regret it).

It's happy being fully loaded, no bottoming out or wallowing. Consider a Matrix, Mazda 3, Nissan Versa.

The HHR with the lnf turbo would be interesting...

Old 11-22-2009, 09:01 AM
5 Year Member
Also the Scion xD? I will be the first to admit, I want to have a little fun on my commute, mainly in handling tho, not straight line acceleration.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
I love my Fit. I average 38-40mpg daily (mix of highway and city--M/T). I have fun with the suspension, interior is nice, and I'm slowly making into what I want (a few mods here and there--hks exhaust, jdm tails...future stuff like clazzio leather seats, gps, etc).

Good luck in your search...I had a similar dilemma...the Fit is where I ended up, and I have ZERO regrets!

Old 11-22-2009, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bigcanoe
Also the Scion xD? I will be the first to admit, I want to have a little fun on my commute, mainly in handling tho, not straight line acceleration.
I drove a 1st gen xD, and my daughter was looking at tCs (did I say that right?). Both seemed like tin-cans riding in them. Completely subjective but I was never less impressed with a toyota product, and I've had a few through the years.

I went on make (I've been a honda bigot for 12 years) cost (15K for a new base auto), and mpg ratings. Didn't want a hybrid as I plan on keeping it for 12-15 years and am leery of the hybrid batteries after the warranty wears out.

German cars (VW too) are too high maintenance for an economy car.

Pontiac Vibe for the right price might be interesting (it's the same as a Matrix). With that nameplate abandoned, the remaining copies might be getting good discounts.

The gossip here is that Toyota will negotiate more on the Matrix's price making it competitive with the Fit. I think it's more of a car for the money.

Not that I'm against the Fit (no buyer's remorse here) but I'm trying to be neutral. The Fit is fun to drive (just not in a straight line). I find myself whipping around corners in parking lots for the thrill of it. Been lucky so far, haven't hit any shopping carts. Oh and Fit owners are smarter and better looking.

Lets see, what else don't I like about the Fit:
  • Weak A/C (already mentioned that). I have covered parking at work and home so it's not as much of an issue.
  • loud heating-A/C fan. higher than "2" it's annoying. At "2" it's highly audible. Maybe that's just me.
  • The narrow low roll resistant tires may eek out a couple more mpg, but they aren't the best handling. The odd size makes replacements limited.
  • The armrests, aren't. The ones in the doors are useless and in the base you don't get center armrests. The sport has a toothpick armrest tacked on the driver's seat. You can get a dealer add-on center armrest that looks nice.
  • The door fabric (and seat fabric to some extent) are lint magnets. If you obsess about spotless interiors, the dark linty Fit will give you fits.
  • That's about it. They fixed the only other pet-peeve of mine, the mpg gauge.

Last edited by Steve244; 11-22-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:55 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
  • The narrow low roll resistant tires may eek out a couple more mpg, but they aren't the best handling. The odd size makes replacements limited.
Wear the stock tires out then replace with a more standard size tire of your choice, the OEM are more than capable for the time they last.
  • The armrests, aren't. The ones in the doors are useless and in the base you don't get center armrests. The sport has a toothpick armrest tacked on the driver's seat. You can get a dealer add-on center armrest that looks nice.
Just remember that you can get the OEM armrest or one from a 3rd party like Zeta for much cheaper than your local dealer. Look at Bernardi Honda for a good example.
  • The door fabric (and seat fabric to some extent) are lint magnets. If you obsess about spotless interiors, the dark linty Fit will give you fits.
Get the Clazzio seat covers, they look great and will prevent you from linting up the cloth seats. They come in PVC or PVC w/ leather.
Just make sure you don't give another thought to the HHR is all.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
The OP hasn't bought yet.

Fit owners are ripping out seats, re-upholstering the roof liner, doors, bending headrests, altering controls to suit their ideal. I understand customization to personalize it, but you shouldn't have to set about modding a car to make it comfortable. Needing to put vinyl over the seats because you don't like the fabric is reason enough to buy a different car. So is riding on tires for 2 to 4 years that you don't like, or changing them out when they're new.

I'm happy with the Fit's shortcomings. They're all reasonable compromises given the areas where it excels at this price. (The A/C might be a deal breaker for me if I didn't have covered parking.) I'll even replace the stock Dunlops with the same when they need it to retain the existing performance characteristics (unless Michelin comes out with the same spec).

The OP mentioned HHRs. I'm not into retro, GM or otherwise, but the LNF engine (HHR SS) is an example of what they do right. If you like the styling it might be a possibility (for 10K more than a Fit Sport).

Old 11-22-2009, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
Ya, I trying my best to stay practical, economical here. I might look at used to save some money because cost and mpg are major buying motivations. Maybe a 2008 Fit?

Old 11-22-2009, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
'08 was the last year of the first generation (out around the world since 2001). A lot of the 1st gen's shortcomings are addressed in the '09 Fit, but many prefer the way the earlier ones look. The changes are cosmetic and mechanical so be sure what you're looking for. I haven't driven one of the earlier ones but there are comparisons around this site.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:51 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
By the way Steve244, I thought the list of grievances was from the OP - got you two mixed up. Sorry bout that.

All I can say is getting a Fit just for fuel efficiency, reliability and resale value (HHR isn't going to have any) is a great deal compared to a lot of other cars in its segment. It doesn't cost that much more to customize what little you might not like about it, and things like tires you'll be replacing eventually regardless.

Last edited by Koi; 11-22-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:02 PM
First post here.

I bought a used 08 Base/5MT a few weeks ago. 24K miles and seemed to be in good shape. Carfax came back with no reports and I'm the 2nd owner. My commute is the main reason I bought it. 125 miles per round trip about 3-4 times per week. (sometimes I'm gone overnight so I work twice with only one trip to work)

I'm getting right at 40 mpg highway running 72 or so on the Interstate. I'm really happy with it so far. 35 mpg combined city/highay.

I've had this commute for almost 12 years. I've got a nice vehicle for around home, but the mileage would kill me driving to work. In the past I have bought good condition older vehicles and just wore them out. 88 Jetta, 93 Civic Cx hatch, both bought at auction and my last one was a 90 Camry. Had 92K on it five years ago when I bought it from the original owner, a neighbor. It was on 197K wen I traded it in on the Fit. I decided to go with a newer one this time and keep it longer. I looked at many different cars and narrowed it down to the Fit or a TDI Beetle. The Fit was around the same price range as a 04-05 TDI with 75-90K miles. My brother and couple guys at work have a TDI Beetle. Great mileage at 48-50 mpg, but the maint. cost is much higher. Diesel is more $$ also, so the 8-10 mpg diff is swallowed up with the increased fuel charges.

So, I bought the Fit. No major mods planned. At this time, I plan on 3 things.
1. Some 15" aftermarket wheels (or Sport Fit takeoffs) just to make it look better. I will stay with the same overall diameter tires though.
2. An aftermarket radio. I spend a lot of time in the car. The factory Base radio is lacking in radio reception (my 20 yr old factory Toyota radio was better) and the sound quality is not the best.
3. I will add the factory armrest console. Lack of an armrest is the only thing really bugging me about the interior and driving comfort.

Last edited by Dave_C; 11-22-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Koi
By the way Steve244, I thought the list of grievances was from the OP - got you two mixed up. Sorry bout that.

All I can say is getting a Fit just for fuel efficiency, reliability and resale value (HHR isn't going to have any) is a great deal compared to a lot of other cars in its segment. It doesn't cost that much more to customize what little you might not like about it, and things like tires you'll be replacing eventually regardless.
Agree completely.

And if it makes you happy to spend a thousand retrofitting a new car with seat covers and tires more power to you. If I needed this to be satsified, I'd be looking at other cars very carefully.

For the record, I prefer cloth over vinyl or leather and appreciate the choice of factory tires. That's why I bought it, but I don't presume others have the same preferences.

Last edited by Steve244; 11-22-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Dave_C
First post here.

I bought a used 08 Base/5MT a few weeks ago. 24K miles and seemed to be in good shape. Carfax came back with no reports and I'm the 2nd owner. My commute is the main reason I bought it. 125 miles per round trip about 3-4 times per week. (sometimes I'm gone overnight so I work twice with only one trip to work)

I'm getting right at 40 mpg highway running 72 or so on the Interstate. I'm really happy with it so far. 35 mpg combined city/highay.

I've had this commute for almost 12 years. I've got a nice vehicle for around home, but the mileage would kill me driving to work. In the past I have bought good condition older vehicles and just wore them out. 88 Jetta, 93 Civic Cx hatch, both bought at auction and my last one was a 90 Camry. Had 92K on it five years ago when I bought it from the original owner, a neighbor. It was on 197K wen I traded it in on the Fit. I decided to go with a newer one this time and keep it longer. I looked at many different cars and narrowed it down to the Fit or a TDI Beetle. The Fit was around the same price range as a 04-05 TDI with 75-90K miles. My brother and couple guys at work have a TDI Beetle. Great mileage at 48-50 mpg, but the maint. cost is much higher. Diesel is more $$ also, so the 8-10 mpg diff is swallowed up with the increased fuel charges.

So, I bought the Fit. No major mods planned. At this time, I plan on 3 things.
1. Some 15" aftermarket wheels (or Sport Fit takeoffs) just to make it look better. I will stay with the same overall diameter tires though.
2. An aftermarket radio. I spend a lot of time in the car. The factory Base radio is lacking in radio reception (my 20 yr old factory Toyota radio was better) and the sound quality is not the best.
3. I will add the factory armrest console. Lack of an armrest is the only thing really bugging me about the interior and driving comfort.
Exactly! My other car is a 2500 Dodge Ram diesel, I cant afford to drive it full time commuting.

I will look for a 2008 vs 2009 comparison.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
Exactly! My other car is a 2500 Dodge Ram diesel, I cant afford to drive it full time commuting.

I will look for a 2008 vs 2009 comparison.
heh, 5 threads above this one. link (I didn't notice it until now).

Old 11-23-2009, 08:29 PM
My commute is about 60 miles a day, mostly highway.
I know that some people here will disagree, but get an auto if you get a Fit. I drive 72 miles each way with mostly highway. If you drive a manual the engine runs about 900 rpm higher and it is much louder. It is easier on the mind and body when you toss in traffic. I Love my fit 62,000 miles in 19 months and I wouldn't trade trade it for anything including my favorite 1976 nova.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
I got my 2010 Silver Storm Metalic Sport with manual transmission today!

Old 11-27-2009, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
My commute is about 60 miles a day, mostly highway. I am thinking of getting a Fit to save some money. I am also looking at a few other cars (Mazda 3, Chevrolet HHR), but I read great things about the Fit. I was excited to find this forum! I have had a variety of small cars, but I usually tend toward more power, less economical choices.
If your goal is to save money, buy a used car, even if it gets worse gas mileage than a Fit. From my perspective, the 2nd generation (GE) Fits fixed most of the things that bothered me with the first generation. Since they haven't been out long, you're not going to find many used ones, and probably not at much of a discount. I agree with someone else's comment about the Pontiac Vibe, although I doubt that any new ones are left on dealer's lots. They were probably cleaned out last August/September, and I can't imagine GM building any new ones to replace inventory. But, lightly used Vibes may be available for a song.

If you're determined to get a new car, once you have narrowed your choices down to a few, see If you can persuade the dealer to lend you one overnight; otherwise, see if you can rent each one for a day or two, then drive several hundred miles. This will be much more revealing a car's characteristics than a short dealer test drive. I suspect that January-February are going to be very good months for car shopping.