General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

turkeys scratch roof - car cover?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member
turkeys scratch roof - car cover?

I got the first scratch on my 3 month old Fit - and it is from wild turkeys mucking about on the car's roof. The scratches are at least through the clear coat (catch at my fingernails). I am considering a cover but have never used such a thing. Does anyone have experience with a car cover? Is it a pain to take on and off? Any recommendations in brand/style? Does cover "stick" to the car in winter (freezing rain, etc)? I am not a physically strong person...

Any other suggestions? I can only think of two other ideas - 1) sticking a plastic owl (or some other thing turkeys hate - a roasting pan perhaps?) to the car roof, 2) shooting them and having Thanksgiving early. Unfortunately the latter is not an option as I don't hunt!

I am very surprised that turkey feet are capable of scratching the car...

Old 11-10-2009, 12:08 PM
it sounds like a car cover wouldn't do much here since there scratching through the clear coat. I think and early thanksgiving is the best course of action here. good luck to ya!

Old 11-10-2009, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
scratch through cover?

You don't think a cover would be enough protection to keep scratches from occurring? Guess it might not...

Old 11-10-2009, 12:13 PM
well all the covers i've seen are very thin and will even tear if you pull on them too hard. i've never personally encountered a wild turkey but i would suspect they have some sharp toe nails lol.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
Do turkeys have large talons?

Old 11-10-2009, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
I use a car cover made of block-it 380 material... it will not help you in this situation the turkeys will cut through it... and you will be out another 175 bucks... as for ease on on off, provided it is dry, it is quite easy. if its wet or frozen leave it on the car ( i dont use it during winter) as for the turkeys... id get a gun.... its almost thanksgiving....

Old 11-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I had the same problem with my car in a parking garage in the spring the pigeons were mating and going crazy. I actually made a wing like creature that I would put on my antena and it kept them off my car. Then I could just take it off and on as needed. Just got some crazy looks from people who had no clue why my car had this reynolds wrap art piece on it! LOL!

Cat :x

Old 11-10-2009, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
Shouldn't a cover help with "camouflaging" your Fit, so the Turkeys aren't interested? I heard an NPR Car Talk show where they recommended a camo car cover for somebody with a new Blue car that the Turkeys are apparently attracted to.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:07 PM
i love npr. i say shoot them.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
It had never occurred to me that covers would not protect against turkeys. Apparently they have spurs on their legs.

Attracted to blue? My fit is metallic storm silver and my other car is a blue '88 CRX, which both looks sort of blue. (BTW anyone want to buy an old crx?) They also like the black truck though.

The other day I watched these 2 turkeys attack a large hawk, which was eating a squirrel, over and over, for about 45 minutes. The turkeys were clearly afraid of the hawk, but not that afraid!! The hawk just looked offended and glared at them. The turkeys eventually gave up. I will try a large tinfoil shape but I think anything big enough will come off in the wind.

I am sure that guns are illegal where I live so I am going to save that as last resort.

thanks for the comments everyone...

Old 11-10-2009, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
I decided to call my local animal control officer who told me that the turkeys see their own reflection in the car and attack it! Apparently a car dealership down the road had a terrible problem with them. The officer recommends chasing them with a broom and blowing an air-horn daily. Guess I know what I will be doing at dawn for a while!

Old 11-10-2009, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by chrisakasparky
i love npr. i say shoot them.

I don't know what the season or bag limit is for NPR, but I share your view about disposition. :-)

Originally Posted by scfonta
I decided to call my local animal control officer who told me that the turkeys see their own reflection in the car and attack it! Apparently a car dealership down the road had a terrible problem with them. The officer recommends chasing them with a broom and blowing an air-horn daily. Guess I know what I will be doing at dawn for a while!

IMO, that "solution" is ... searching for gentle euphemism here ... pretty lame. At a minimum, hope you have understanding neighbors.

And, I heard that same Cartalk show as did blazej. What a great way to pass Sat a.m.'s, trying to outguess those guys.

Here's more about that topic and some follow-on comments: http://action.publicbroadcasting.net/cartalk/posts/list/2130702.page

I especially liked: "The Word 'Prius' Literally Means 'Turkey Bait.'"

Seriously doubt, scfonta, if you are in USA, that, as you think, guns are "illegal" where you live. So, while best wishes on the cover, etc., "fixes," but I'd go here and see when you can save some money at your grocery store: http://www.nwtf.org/in_your_state/?desturl=/in_your_state/hunt_guide.php

Regards,

Bill

Old 11-10-2009, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
Ahh. Someone who really pays attention when he reads. Nice. Gives me cause to pay attention when I write.

My neighbors are not close enough to disturb with dawn turkey chasing (may have to reconsider air horn), but definitely close enough to accidentally shoot. So, while guns are legal, still - even in Greater Boston - I am not sure about actually hauling off and shooting turkeys. I could find out and I suppose a shot gun wouldn't have much range.

If I eat wild turkey for Thanksgiving, I will let you know how it compares to store bought.

Thanks for the help all. You saved me from wasting $$ at Autozone buying a car cover.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
Even a BB gun or air rifle may be enough to convince the turkeys to look elsewhere for entertainment. This assumes 1) You are around when the turkeys are; 2) You are actually able to hit one of them in a sensitive spot.

Another option would be a .22 cal rifle with birdshot shells. They make very little noise when fired, and because it's a shot shell, you get some spread, which would make it easier to hit a turkey. I'd be amazed if you could kill a turkey with .22 bird shot, but I'm also certain they cold feel the sting, which might be enough to drive them away. City turkeys are a growing annoyance. They are not nice creatures.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
I say a good pellet gun (1,000 fps or over) would be your best bet... its silent and the projectiles wont go very far.... just aim for the turkey's heads... and wild turkey is WAY better than store bought!