General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Clutch Chatter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
Clutch Chatter?

Anyone else noticed their clutch chattering?

I am having some chatter issues when starting in first gear - only 550 miles on the car, so I am hoping it will improve...

Old 05-10-2006, 12:08 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
Was the car driving hard before you recieved it? If so this maybe the reasons...

Old 05-10-2006, 02:01 PM
I'd take it back. dougiepants is probably correct. Mine had 1 mile on it as I saw it off-loaded and made sure that it never was driven off the lot, by anyone other than me. Here in Motown I see how new vehicles are moved around, from final assembly to transport. The 2nd and 3rd shift drivers tend to go a little wild after dark. See if the dealer can read the CPU and see if it's been hammered on. I feel your pain.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Mine is smooth as a baby's ass.

Old 05-10-2006, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dougiepants
Was the car driving hard before you recieved it? If so this maybe the reasons...
Not driven hard - bought it straight off the showroom floor - 5 miles on it, at most...

Old 05-11-2006, 11:20 AM
Avid FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by tnfit
Not driven hard - bought it straight off the showroom floor - 5 miles on it, at most...
Well the 5 mils is not even the full Honda PDI amount... It is 10 miles for PDI. Also mine had .2 on it when I recieved mine... I would just take it back and have the dealership look it over to make sure it is ok and not causing any long term damage...

Old 05-11-2006, 11:25 AM
What is Clutch Chatter?

Thanks ahead.

Old 05-11-2006, 06:43 PM
5 Year Member
Every single honda I have test drove (99 Honda CR-V, 06 Civic, 06 CR-V)started with 7 miles on the odometer...it is standard procedure for the factory to put it through a trial course run before being loaded onto the ship/truck before arriving to the dealership...I highly doubt that a car arrives at any dealership without at least 5 miles on the odometer due to standard testing (This is information I recieved from 5 seperate dealership employees/sales people at 3 seperate dealerships) And at the dealership I am getting my FiT from, the civic (2 of them actually), cr-v, and element all had 7 miles on them

As for clutch chatter probably the rare case where a new car from honda has any type of engine/transmission defect ... especially if it only had "5" miles on it...take it in under warranty as soon as possible

Old 05-12-2006, 07:23 AM
Originally Posted by Titans
[COLOR=black][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]What is Clutch Chatter?
One definition of clutch chatter known to me is when a particular vehicle of manual transmission does not engage smoothly.

It usually happens at the beginning of acceleration from standstill in 1st gear.
When the clutch pedal is depressed and the shifter is put in 1st gear the driver then intends to smoothly let out the clutch lifting his/her left foot while lightly applying the gas with the right foot.

The problem and issue becomes apparent when the the car violently sounds and shakes thud-thud-thud. THIS IS NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH TOO MUCH GAS AND SQUEELING TIRES GETTING GRIP OR TO LITTLE GAS AND BUCKING THE CAR. This is more a mechanical slippage of sorts felt by the operator who apparently knows how to drive MT yet intuitively knows that some slippage or lack of TRUE ENGAGEMENT AND PROPER hook-up is going on in the TRANNY.

I had this with my Mazda Protege 5 and it was very noticable in the cold weather, damp weather and at start up in the mornings. But then again, Mazda trannies had some questionable runs.

Old 05-12-2006, 07:34 AM
Thanks,
That helps alot.

Kevin L

Originally Posted by CarDemon
One definition of clutch chatter known to me is when a particular vehicle of manual transmission does not engage smoothly.

It usually happens at the beginning of acceleration from standstill in 1st gear.
When the clutch pedal is depressed and the shifter is put in 1st gear the driver then intends to smoothly let out the clutch lifting his/her left foot while lightly applying the gas with the right foot.

The problem and issue becomes apparent when the the car violently sounds and shakes thud-thud-thud. THIS IS NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH TOO MUCH GAS AND SQUEELING TIRES GETTING GRIP OR TO LITTLE GAS AND BUCKING THE CAR. This is more a mechanical slippage of sorts felt by the operator who apparently knows how to drive MT yet intuitively knows that some slippage or lack of TRUE ENGAGEMENT AND PROPER hook-up is going on in the TRANNY.

I had this with my Mazda Protege 5 and it was very noticable in the cold weather, damp weather and at start up in the mornings. But then again, Mazda trannies had some questionable runs.