General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Sick to my stomach...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 06:59 PM
Sick to my stomach...

I just purchased my '09 Fit three days ago. Today driving to work someone in front of me kicked up a rock and it chipped my hood. The chip is extremely tiny but you can definitely see it. It went straight through to the hood, I can see the silver metal. Any suggestions/tips to getting this fixed would be greatly appreciated. The car is white.

Thank you.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:25 PM
im sorry to hear that!
I think you've got to go to a body shop and ask if they can fill the crack with anything (they usually have stuff to fill cracks and dents with) and than sand it down and paint the whole hood. I dont know if it will be cheap however..
Worst case scenario, you have to replace the whole hood (while i think THIS is a very unlikely scenario).
good luck!

Old 09-22-2009, 08:13 PM
Welcome to car ownership. Yeah it sucks, but get used to the fact that every day you drive your car, it will be a tiny bit less pristine than it was before.

But a tiny dab of clear fingernail polish on the chip will help prevent it from rusting. Some kind of clear bra can help prevent future rock chips, but they have their own disadvantages, and there's no way to make a car completely road proof.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
Every time I walk up to our little car I see the chip in the back fender. No telling where that came from. I think I picked it up somewhere between Boston and Bar Harbor. It's a souvenir of a great trip.

But...I guess I should take some of these guys' advice and take care of the chipped paint.

Winter is coming and anything chipped down to bare metal will rust for sure. I wouldn't repaint the whole panel to take care of a paint chip, though.

We used to heat the touch-up paint so it would flow better into the chip. I don't remember who told me about that. Anybody else do that or even heard of it?

Sorry about the chip in the paint. Trust me--only you can see it. Your new Fit is a traveling machine. Take a nice trip out to the woods and watch the leaves turn colors for fall. That way, the dings we all get will just remind you of all the good times you had with the car. Or in the car...

Cheers.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:59 PM
A good way to fill small chips is to get the original touch-up paint in the matching color from the dealer.

Instead of using the brush that comes in the bottle, use a toothpick or a small needle to fill the area. Put a small amount on the tip and gradually fill the area. It gives you a lot more accuracy in covering the chipped area, as compared to the brush.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
that aint shit!

try driving and a huge rock comes and cracks your windshield!

but that does suck though. welcome to having a car

Old 09-23-2009, 12:09 AM
Old 09-23-2009, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member
dude u think thats bad, i have like 25 real bad chips in my hood, i hate looking at it everytime i wash my car bec they show up even more when its clean, but ya i thought the same way when my fit got its first chip or dent and i was all bent out of shape about it and it kept on happening and happening so i just gave up, a car can on not get chips and not get ruined if you dont drive it, but ya what fun is a car you cant drive. luckily its something you can replace eventually if it gets too bad

Old 09-23-2009, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
get touch up paint.

more chips are coming.

dont worry about it.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:06 AM
5 Year Member
yep, get touch up paint, that's what it's made for. Get the Honda color from a Honda dealer, no need to go to the internet, it's not an out of stock or rare color.

If you're not comfortable painting, you can have the body shop do it for you (bring them the touchup paint)(they shouldn't charge too much).

Repaint an otherwise new hood with 1 chip? or a new hood? Really? Might as well recommend thowing out the whole car and getting a new one. At least wait for a few more chips or scratches in before you plunk down for that...

Last edited by raytseng; 09-23-2009 at 02:11 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:43 AM
5 Year Member
It sucks, but it happens to all of us. I found three nice gouges in the bumber cavity where the fog lamps mount from a single rock hit last weekend. At least the rock missed my fog lamps. This time of year there's a whole lot of road paving going on, and rock chips are inevitable.

Doing good touch-ups with the touch-up paint is a skill worth acquiring.

I use small toothpicks or a good artists brush, not the brush in the cap. The trick is to place a drop of paint INSIDE the chip, and fill the chipped area, but not overlap the "good" paint. The paint will shrink quite a bit as it dries, so don't worry if it's not level with the surface. It may take two or three applications to "fill" the chip. When it's dry, a bit of polish and wax will help hide it.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:48 AM
What a good body person can do is use the touch up paint and overfill the chip, kind of like a bubble (not over the oem paint). Let it dry. Then use wet sandpaper and knock it down. If you don't know what you are doing and what progression of grit to use, don't do it. After it has been wet sanded, then buff the area. You might see a little ring, but it will blend in pretty good.

If it worries you, go to a shop and have them fix it. It is roughly ~$200 per panel. Something that small could be blended pretty easy.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:34 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, chips are common on daily drivers but the first one is always sickening.
my GE that my wife uses has A LOT of chips and i just touch it up using the
factory touchup paint. my GD doesn't have as many chips because i keep a
good distance from the cars in front.

i use a toothpick with the tip flattened (just tap something hard
with it) as my applicator. it's a lot easier to control the flow and
amount vs the brush. if you get one with the ball point pen tip,
those are pretty good too.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
I got my first after a month on side skirt. Got Honda touchup paint and gave it a dab. Can't see it now.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
If you're going to keep the car a while a "clear bra" protective covering is worth the extra expense. The fit's steep hood angle and large area make it a rock magnet. I had the Venture Shield brand of clear bra installed. It's virtually impossible to see and will protect you from any further chips.
Take a look at some pics I put up in another post a while back. They are towards the bottom.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...om-ad-ons.html

Old 09-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by NB68
If you're going to keep the car a while a "clear bra" protective covering is worth the extra expense. The fit's steep hood angle and large area make it a rock magnet. I had the Venture Shield brand of clear bra installed. It's virtually impossible to see and will protect you from any further chips.
Take a look at some pics I put up in another post a while back. They are towards the bottom.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...om-ad-ons.html
I'm glad I had the Clear Bra installed when I first got the car.

No chips for me.

myke

Old 09-26-2009, 08:53 AM
5 Year Member
You will need to replace your car with one that doesn't have a chip in the paint.
Since your old car is no good anymore, I will take it off your hands and even give you $500 cash. I'm a giver like that.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
My first car was a used '67 Impala that came with matching dents preinstalled in each rear fender. Those dents prevented a lot of worry about other things that happened to the car on numerous trips to Chicago.

Now, when I get that first chip or ding in a new car, it's almost a relief. I can quit worrying about it. Middle age is great--if I don't like the way the car looks, I just take off my glasses.

A pristine car sure is nice while it lasts, though.

Cheers

Old 09-26-2009, 10:57 PM
I feel ya' bro! Got my first one yesterday when some numbnut chipped my drivers door. I get nervous everytime I see someone parked next to me I know carries a car load of idiots with them who could care a less if they hit another door with theirs.