General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Driving from NY to SD

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Driving from NY to SD

Has anyone taken their Fit across the United States? I'm relocating to San Diego in October and I'm buying a Fit Sport to make the journey. All that cargo space should be ideal for carrying my belongings.

BTW - Any one in San Diego got a furnished room for rent?

Old 09-10-2009, 04:21 PM
nice.. good luck with the trip...

and for the room for rent, might wanna ask the sd folks in the southern california section... or even check craigslist?

Old 09-10-2009, 04:25 PM
yup, already utilizing craigslist and I'm in discussion with a couple owners, but thanks, i will ask the SoCal section.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:29 AM
5 Year Member
We did Virginia/California (~3000 miles) three times in my wife's 08. We had it loaded up pretty good each way too, as well as 2 small dogs. You should create an A/C condenser screen (search the board for the how-to) and consider covering the fog lights with protective film. Both of her fog lights cracked, presumably from flying rocks.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
Where in SD?? I moved from SD to FL the trip was not bad in the Fit at all i even slept in it on the way with the car full of stuff

Old 09-14-2009, 09:08 AM
mike, thanks for the advice. I might cover the fog lights like you suggest. and I'll look into the condenser screen.

FitHappy, I working on an apartment right off of university ave, very close to downtown.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
As far as finding a room, you might wanna take a look at craigslist: san diego classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events or Roomates.com: roomates finder and roomates search service. For the cross country trip, you can tape up your car using painter's tape like this guy did with his FA5 to protect the paint.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:24 PM
Yesterday I returned from a 1,994 mile trip with my GD3 '08 with my GF and 2 small dogs. The Fit did great got 38-39 MPG at a healthy pace. I got some rock chips, wish I had taped it off

Old 09-14-2009, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by chris 619
As far as finding a room, you might wanna take a look at craigslist: san diego classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events or Roomates.com: roomates finder and roomates search service. For the cross country trip, you can tape up your car using painter's tape like this guy did with his FA5 to protect the paint.

[CIVIC PICTURE]
That actually looks really neat haha.

You could buy the full nose mask instead of taping your car off if you make long trips frequently.

I am not sure which Fit your going to buy so...

GE8: Honda Fit Accessories - Genuine 2009-2010 Honda Fit Exterior Accessories

GD3: Honda Fit Accessories - Genuine 2007-2008 Honda Fit Exterior Accessories

Hope that helps!

Old 09-15-2009, 12:04 AM
I found a room, and it's in great proximity to downtown.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I can't wait to pick up my car on the 22nd!

Old 09-17-2009, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by metahero
Has anyone taken their Fit across the United States?
We bought our Fit to be a cross-country car. We've driven 12,000 miles of long trips since January when we got it. I really envy you the trip. There is no better way to see the USA than through that panoramic front window on the Fit.

Here's a suggestion, though: K-Mart has some sun shades that have suction cups and fold into a little bag. You get two for about $4. They come in handy.

Other than that, you might want to get a satellite radio for the long legs through the countryside.

On our last trip through Arizona, the wind was out of the north, and the dust or sand or whatever pitted the paint on the upwind side. We are midwesterners and didn't know what to do so we just kept going. If we opened the door, the car filled with sand. How the devil anybody lives out there I couldn't tell you, but they were "standing on the corner in Winslow, Arizona."

I bet the Fit will haul everything you own. On our last jaunt to the east coast, we had four adults and bags. Nobody complained. Certainly not the Fit.

All the states and municipalities are broke. Watch out for these guys out raising revenue:

I myself got a ticket for going 30 mph.

Don't know how others feel but headed west we got the best road food at mom and pop Mexican restaurants or barbecue joints. The Fit got the best and most agreeable gasoline at stations that didn't mix ethanol into the gas. Hard to find that here in corn country.

For motel reservations, I recommend Hotwire.com: Discount airfare, hotel reservations, car rentals, vacation packages and cruises . We really got good deals on "as advertised" accommodations.

You'll really appreciate your ride when you pull into the gas stations. Even with a full load you'll get high 30s if you're not pushing it.

If it sounds like I'm ready to hit the road again in the Fit, well, I am. I love the great combination of the open road and cheap travel. Never been to San Diego... Too bad I have to go to work tomorrow.

Post some pix of the trip--your car all loaded up--and the great places you see. Be safe, have fun.

Cheers.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
Wow now I feel lucky for not getting hit with sand the 3 times we went through AZ on I-40. A few other things that help: window tint to keep the A/C from working too hard in the desert states, books on CD if music gets boring, and get a good hard coat of wax on the car before you leave.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
I should have done the wax thing.

I agree about the books. It's a big country.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SportMTNavi

Don't know how others feel but headed west we got the best road food at mom and pop Mexican restaurants or barbecue joints. The Fit got the best and most agreeable gasoline at stations that didn't mix ethanol into the gas. Hard to find that here in corn country.

Go straight south and do a bbq tour. it will be epic.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Took a MkIV Jetta from Vancouver, BC Canada to Houston Texas for grad school. Then proceeded to drive it to New Orleans for Spring break before driving it back home after school was done.

Window shades are a great suggestion if you're not tinted. I kept those suckers on while driving through the desert states. Also, check your tire pressure every two or three gas stops, and adjust according to outside/road temperature.

Boy road trips are fun!

Old 09-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Agree with books on tape. My mind was blown the first time I did this in the car haha.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cab0053
Go straight south and do a bbq tour. it will be epic.
AAwwww YES!, a buddy of mine and I have had this planned for years now. Just to get a week or two off with our schedules is proving to be impossible. This is by far one of my favorite things about this country, all the influences and variety of food. Priceless
To the OP: Drive safe and GL, hope you get to your destination safe and with minimal HWY damage to the extremely thin FIT paint.