General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Which tools? New Garage, New Car, and an Excuse to buy.. :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
Which tools? New Garage, New Car, and an Excuse to buy.. :)

Greetings,

I've never been much of a 'car guy'... but for some reason the Fit just seems so accessible.. maybe it's because it's relatively small.. but when I first looked at the engine I though "gee, I could work on that." (On my former vehicle, I had a few things done where I looked at it and went... "wait.. you just replaced that thing there right at the top, and it cost how much?!" realizing at that point that apart from diagnosis, I could have easily replaced the part myself.) I've been working with tools since I was a toddler, and have an extensive set... but have never really had a set for working on automobiles. So this is where the question comes from..

If you were to outfit an entirely new toolbox or garage with tools specifically to work on your Fit/Jazz with... what tools would you get, and why?

I don't actually expect a need to do any significant work on my brand new car anytime soon... but figured this would be a fun exercise and would be good to know, so I could pick up things here and there over a few years...

Anyways folks, have at it... feel free to talk about your dream tools.. (okay okay, maybe I'm not going to get a computer analysis center worth tens of thousands of dollars, nor for that matter am I about to go out and buy everything Snap-On just because, but..)

thanks

Old 09-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
1 go to sears
2 buy tool set
3 drink a beer
4 ???????
5 profit?

Old 09-08-2009, 09:13 PM
air compressor and air tools!!!!

Oh and a nice tool box

Old 09-08-2009, 09:25 PM
To work on your Fit this is the bare minimum you will need.
9200GMBO, Complete Metric Set B
You can build it up from there as you do more advanced repairs.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member
Basically, start simple and gradually build up your tool collection. Don't cheap out. You will regret it.

Basics:
Quality jack and 4 jackstands. Or if you are ballin' and have the garage space, a lift.
A creeper.
Torque wrench
A ratchet and a set of metric sockets, both 3/8" and 1/2". Start with a normal set and then later add a set of deep sockets.
Breaker bar, some extensions for the sockets
A set of screwdrivers, inluding hex and torx heads.
A set of vise grips, and a crescent wrench or two.
A set of needle nose pliers (straight, 45 degree, and 90 degree).
Set of box wrenches, plus a set of ratcheting wrenches.
Panel pry tool (a flathead screwdriver wrapped with tape can be used in a pinch).
A working light.
Tool tray.
A penetrating lubricant.

That should do for a basic tool set. Then you can start adding.

First addition, which some may consider almost a necessity, is a good air compressor and a set of air tools, especially an impact wrench.
Vacuum pump such as a MityVac.
Flare nut wrench.
Spark plug socket.
Timing light
Compression gauge
Pulley puller, etc.

Again, just add tools as you need them.

Edit:
Forgot a few things: service manual, very important.
A nice luxury is a wireless router and a cheap computer in the garage, for looking up info on various message boards.
A digital multimeter.
A soldering iron, some sort of torch.
Dremel tool.
Drill and a good set of drill bits.
Utility knife
A number of pickup tools, including both a magnetic and finger type pickup tools (for extracting the bolt that you will inevitably drop into some sort of crevice)
An OBD2 scanner.

Last edited by Olyar15; 09-09-2009 at 02:13 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by Olyar15
A nice luxury is a wireless router and a cheap computer in the garage, for looking up info on various message boards.
Seriously. You don't realize how much you end up running back inside/upstairs to look something up/clarify something. I ended up doing exactly that: Take some old parts from a MATX system I had built for my wife a few years ago. Got a tiny cheap case from newegg, grabbed an old 15" LCD panel that no one wanted anymore and set them up in the garage. Put the monitor on a swing arm to get it out of the way, and the case (again, tiny) on a little hook thing on the side of the workbench. Miniwireless KB with trackpad was the only thing tha actually cost mush. Saves quite a bit of time.

And, now that we've gone completely digital in the area, my old 20" NTSC tube set no longer gets an OTH signal, but I can on-demand video and steaming on the little box, so that was an added plus. I hate crawling about working in the garage without some TV/music keeping me company.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:26 PM
#1 Duct Tape
#2 Sledge hammer
#3 JB Liquid Weld
#4 Dremel Tool
#5 Band-Aids lots of them
#6 Fodors Guide to Cursing in any Language (absolutely essential)

Old 09-10-2009, 08:57 PM
first, clean the garage with cleaner and epoxy the floor. You can get a kit and your local hardware store for way under $50.

I won't list everything since most have, but a good basic metric set will go far. Make sure you have the tools for specific jobs. Perfect example are brakes. You will need all the metrics and a big C-clamp to compress the piston. You will need little things like brake grease, brake cleaner, etc.. For the rears you will need a drum tool set.

Basically find the jobs you are capable of doing and and get ALL the tools you will need for that specific job. There is nothing worse than having to get a ride to the tool store in the middle of a job.

Most of all, make sure you are capable of doing the work first.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
Safety first. Not really tools but:

safety glasses, and pick out set of appropriate work clothes that stay in the garage.
Disposable nitrile gloves (or latex) for handling fluids.
Shop towels (e.g. scott blue towels) or Rags and Kitty litter (or a branded oil absorbant) for eventual spills.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
my recommendation to you is if you're going to buy tools, get the best set you can afford. tools can last a life time and would suck to have to re-buy everything later just because you bought a cheezy set. especially for ratchets get the best one you can afford. the nice ones require very small degrees of swing to ratchet making your job much easier on tight areas.

i use a collection of tools from facom, SK, snap-on, craftsman, and some other misc tools from germany.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by TurboManGT
air compressor and air tools!!!!

Oh and a nice tool box
abso-freakin-lutely...and don't bother with the itty bitty t*tty models, go for the larger volume, stand-up rigs with wheels for mobility.

Name:  Husky_oil_air_comp.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  7.7 KB

...I'm still finding new excuses to use mine. The wife no longer roles her eyes.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:00 PM
Battery powered impacts! Forget loud compressors and hose lines on your floor, seriously.Craftsman released a 200ft.lb impact that should be more than enough for the fit. You can get it with a charger and and 2 batteries for about $200. Also best thing about there C3 line up is all the other tools you can use the batteries on.

If you think that wont be enough, you can look at the Dewalt DW059K-2 it can be had for less than $300 and is rated at 300fl.lbs I can vouch for this bad boy, I use it at work everyday.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:23 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, the dewalt cordless impact is on my to-buy list.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:25 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
i always use a nice stubby 5lbs hammer. solves all my car installation needs.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by likaglov
Battery powered impacts! Forget loud compressors and hose lines on your floor, seriously.
...eh, true. BUT...battery powered impacts don't do this:

or this

or this

or this

..and more, but this is gettin old Just sayin...I got a high capacity compressor/tank similar to the one I embedded above, it came with everything I listed above, along with an impact wrench, ratchet, die grinder, and an air hammer (chisel set). $300 - $350. Also, the blower set is practically priceless...one of those 100-n-1 uses things.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member
epoxy the floors
paint the walls (put in insulation and sheetrock if you dont have it)

DO THAT BEFORE YOU MOVE ANYTHING IN!

install as much shelving as the place will fit and vastly increase the lighting.

make sure you have a work bench and a tool cabinet at minimum. Get a bench vise and a drill press (dont buy new, CL or garage sales).

don't buy a race jack if you dont have a double garage, otherwise its just too damn long. get drive-on ramps. make sure you have a shopvac. make sure you have an old boombox (or double your pleasure with an old tv and your ps2 for movies). leafblowers or just a small contractor's fan are great for blowing out leaves. pressure washer is always a plus. make sure you have at least 3 orange extension cords (and as many power strips). And for the winter you really want at least a little plug in heater, and a fan for the summer.

cheers dude, I can from a woodworking family, grew up in a workshop but never had the mechanical or metal tools or SPACE. the garage has been a dream.