General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

FAIR PRICE for FIT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 06:53 PM
FAIR PRICE for FIT?

I am looking to get a FIT and have been offered the '09 Base Model with an automatic transmission for $15,600 before tax/title and registration. Is this a good deal or should I keep on looking?

Thanks in advance to all those who reply.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
Hey...I got mine for $15,565 before tt&l with floormats, cargo tray and wheel locks.
I didn't feel swindled or anything, and I got exactly what I wanted--model, color, etc.

Good luck...I think it's a good deal if you can get them to throw in at least those...maybe the cargo cover (that's what I kick myself for not getting them to throw in).

Old 09-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Did you get the all season mats or carpet? Thanks for the extra advice I never thought of getting those extras thrown in. I'll have to shoot them an email to see what they say. She seemed a bit offended when I asked her to go lower than the $15,600 she offered.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
Mine were SET at $15,565 and would not go ANY lower...I tried for like 2 hours. So, best I did was get those things thrown in...

Oh, and carpeted mats...I love them!

Old 09-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3
Mine were SET at $15,565 and would not go ANY lower...I tried for like 2 hours. So, best I did was get those things thrown in...

Was that price after all the fees that get tagged on? Or just the price of the vehicle.

I noticed the Honda dealerships are not as negotiable as I tried to make them lower their price for a good hour or two also. I ended up making them throw in some extras.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by nigelmoses
I am looking to get a FIT and have been offered the '09 Base Model with an automatic transmission for $15,600 before tax/title and registration. Is this a good deal or should I keep on looking?

Thanks in advance to all those who reply.
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3

Isn't you Fit a Sport? Looking at your signature that looks like a Sport to me.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
Go to New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews and Pricing - Edmunds.com, and get their TMV (True Market Value) pricing for the model you want and the region you are in. This varies by somewhat region. When I contacted a dealer over the internet, he came in -- to the dollar -- with the TMV price.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
$15,565 for a Sport would be pretty damn good..

My Manual base was 15,200. I didnt try to get anything thrown in, and I wish I did. I didnt even think about it. I need floor mats BAD.

Last edited by Rigaman; 09-02-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:33 PM
I just got a reply back from the woman I have been dealing with about throwing in some accessories with the price of $15600. This is her response,

"Your killing me....I'll do what I can with the accessories, maybe a 5% discount on them but really can't threw them in."

Old 09-02-2009, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
Watch out for added dealer fees. Here in Atlanta they tend to add $500 to $600 to the price after you've negotiated what you think is the best price.

I was expecting this and I'd calculated tax tag and title before arriving and when they gave me the verbal amount I knew it was high by $600. I asked them to remove it and they said "impossible." I walked. They called me on the way home to see if I still wanted it if they removed $600. I said sure.

The selling price on 8/8 here in Atlanta was $15600 (couple hundred below invoice) on an 09 base auto SSM plus tax tag and title but no other fees.

Then they tried to sell me a set of floor mats for $200. (I bought them online from Majestic Honda for $70.) Don't buy any accessories from the floor salesperson unless you're sure it's a good price. The price list they showed me was absurd.

Then they tried to sell me warranties and nitrogen. I declined.

They did give me a fair rate, 4.7% on a 5 year loan. My bank was just above that.

I think $15600 is the sweet spot but watch out for additional fees.

Last edited by Steve244; 09-02-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:52 PM
I received an email survey from Honda yesterday about my buying experience, to which I gave good ratings.

There was a box at the end to put comments, to which I told them if they were going to pretty much stay around MSRP, at least throw a set of floor mats in the car. Probably won't do any good, but at least I feel better.

Used to be the little trinkets they threw in were part of the bargaining process. I can remember my dad squeezing some frivolous add-on out of the dealers in the '60's and to him it at least felt like he pulled something over on them. It was kind of like Ralphie's dad bartering for the Xmas tree in the movie Christmas Story........... wrapping the tree with twine and putting on the roof sealed the deal.

I just found the license plate frame in the trunk today............thank goodness they didn't get ambitious and screw that thing in the front bumper. Now that they could have kept and taken $5 off MSRP.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
Forget the measly 5% discount. You can do better. Where are you located in NY? Honda in Nanuet and Honda in Paramus NJ are pretty good dealerships. When I bought my 2007, there was only $600 profit in the car. Being a AAA member which usually helps you big, only helped me by $100 on the car but they didn't stick it in my ...... with hidden extras or trying to gag me with options. Usually in Queens or Brooklyn things are really competitive. Is $15,600 the current sticker price on that Base?

Old 09-02-2009, 11:44 PM
depends upon where in NY you are.. and where you are trying to buy from/how far away you are willing to drive. I would say you might be able to get a better price with just internet pricing.. depending.. if you are in nyc i was able to get a decent internet price in a north/central NJ dealership. (during the CARS program, even..) I might have gone to them if they weren't too far to travel for me.

Also, does this price include the destination charge, or not? You also say "before tax/title and registration"... what about other dealers fees?

Last edited by interestingstuff; 09-02-2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Selden
Go to New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews and Pricing - Edmunds.com, and get their TMV (True Market Value) pricing for the model you want and the region you are in. This varies by somewhat region. When I contacted a dealer over the internet, he came in -- to the dollar -- with the TMV price.
Yes, check Edmunds.com. Great resource for anyone in market to buy/lease.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
I'm going to say that, considering Edmunds lists the invoice price as $15,714 incl destination fees, that the 15,600 is pretty good if that includes destination already.

Sticker price on a 09 base with AT w/ dest is $16,260.

AAA comes in quite a bit higher than $15,600 too... I don't know what Costco would do, probably not much better than what you've got...

Old 09-03-2009, 01:20 AM
For your reference:
I got my '09 manual sport fit for $15,700 including destination (about 1 month ago). No options, accessories, etc. I got it from anderson honda in palo alto, ca. My strategy was going to every dealer's website in the bay area and asking for a quote for any manual fit sports. Anderson came out the lowest, but I tried getting other dealers to match or beat the price. None of the other dealers could do it, so I went with anderson.

It seems that going solely through the internet dept will probably get you the best price. One internet guy told me not to involve any of the regular sales people, otherwise I can't get the price they quoted me. I'm guessing the internet guys get paid differently from the regular sales guys. Probably something to do with not getting commission in the internet sale dept (probably a higher base salary). Not sure, but that is just a guess.

BTW, I read a news report somewhere on the internet today saying that now may be a bad time to buy. They say the inventory is low due to the cash for clunkers, so the dealers are not willing to go as low as they would be. The news article says that october or november might be easier for the buyers (dealer will have their inventory built up again). Dunno if it is true in every market, but I would still deal hard if I was shopping now.

Good luck on your search.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:33 AM
I think 15, 600 is fair

I just got a 09 base fit. I live in the DC area in arlington va. I called around asking what the best OTD ( out the door price was), and got them 1 dealer to match the best USAA online member price search, which came to 15, 800 OTD, so no other costs what so ever, even tax.

I was lucky enough to have an old van I was about to give away, so it was perfect for cash for clunkers and 4500 off.

My OTD price was then 11, 300. Paid cash in full. My fit is basic , but seems to have the 6 speakers(tweeters) only found on the sport. amazing sound system for stock.
I needed floor mats, so I got a pair of heavy duty thick, water trapping ones at walmart for 16 bucks. I hate carpet as they just cause mold and mildew build up. Rubber or plastic is best.

I bought a nice leatherette 12 piece set on ebay for the seats for 50 bucks.

I wish I had got the sport, but I still love what I have.

I need keyless entry so I will now pay for that, most likely from the dealer, but I need to look into that.

ohh I did get the splash guards, and they seem to not come with the sport as the body molding may not allow that

so base bit best price OTD 15,800 in the expensive dc area.
no extras except the 6 speakers and mud flaps were defacto extras

Old 09-03-2009, 05:48 PM
My mind has once again changed the dealership that offered me the Base Auto for $15600 has now offered me the Base Manual for $14,900 which from everything I have read is Invoice pricing. The problem comes with her attitude, I really don't like it. So I have decided to purchase one of the color I want for $15,120 Manual Base from a different dealership. I still think this is a very reasonable price. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:00 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm...I guess I misread that he was looking at a base.

Yes, mine is an 09 Sport that I got for $15,565 plus destination, and TT&L. I got carpeted floormats, cargo tray and wheel locks thrown in.

They only had 2 09 sports in manual transmission and were trying to push them hard.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Just tell us the OTD price

Listen

Every dealer charges a different price for this and that, so to cut threw all the confusion just list the price you paid after you include tax tags destination , processing , whatever

Just stick with the OTD Out the door price

My base fit manual was 15,800, period, nothing else, not even 1 cent more for tags or tax

what was your OTD price?

I got 6 speakers, splash guards, and wheel locks

15,800 - 4500 clunkers = 11, 300

Last edited by FIT410S; 09-03-2009 at 06:33 PM.

Quick Reply: FAIR PRICE for FIT?