General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit freaks..need some suggestions plz

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 10:53 PM
Fit freaks..need some suggestions plz

My wife and i are probably going to buy a new or almost new vehicle within the next year. We are trying to decide what to get .

Currently she is driving an 03 CRV, and i'm driving a 99 Civic 4 door/5speed. I started driving this car(her old one) last year after we bought the CRV for her and the kids and i took my 99 SiR off the road to become my project car(that i had daily driven for 5 years)
We have two kids(2 yrs old and 7 months old), so we don't travel too far from home, so we don't really need a "bigger" car.

We are trying to decide between a Fit, an 06+style 4 door Civic(non- Si), or an Element.

I'm leaning towards the Fit because of the price, good fuel economy, and excellent reputation it has from it's owners. I would like to mildly mod it(slight drop/lips/fogs/tint/intake/exhaust/etc), and i already have a few sets of 4x100 rims i could put to use on it! The car would essentially be a daily driver but something still fun,..no drag racing/autocrosses or anything like that.

Now this is where i'm having trouble deciding. Should i look for a used base model and mod it, or is it worth the extra to find a used Sport model. I do know i want a standard, and i'm undecided which style Fit i like, the 07/08's or the 09's? It seems like most people here who have problems/or things they wish Honda did differently, say that they(Honda) did get it right with the 09's.

Just looking for opinions, tips on what to look for/to check when looking at vehicles. I have been doing a lot of reading on this site, but i keep getting distracted by people's photo's and build threads!

We do plan on going to take some for test drives soon, we just want to be well-informed on each type of vehicle before we look.

Thanks for any suggestions or help.
-Troy
*(hopefully a future FIT owner)

Old 08-19-2009, 11:08 PM
What sort of budget will you be working with?

Old 08-20-2009, 12:14 AM
I imagine the first thing you'll be looking at is cruise control. Only the Sport models have it from the factory. Same with foglamps.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:05 AM
We might go as high as 20,000 but we would like to keep the budget around 10-15,000 CDN, but it all depends on the vehicle/options/mileage/maintenance records/etc.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Just from the list of things you'd say you'd do to the new car... you need the Sport model. You get a lot more for the $2000 price difference. I mean, aren't the fog lights enough to woo you? Also, I think you have to go with an '09. Much better looking than previous models, and lots of flaws were fixed i.e. having a driver armrest, better seat comfort, etc. You will love the Fit. The Element has gotten horrid reviews. I'm sure the Civic would be ok, but trust me - you'll love the Fit!

Old 08-20-2009, 09:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lipappy
Also, I think you have to go with an '09. Much better looking than previous models,
This my good sir is a matter of opinion.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by Edison Carasio
I *guess* that's true.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Edison Carasio
^^X2 by the sound of it you might want to try and find a sport. It has fogs and a lip from the factory also has cruise control and keyless entry.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member
Mechanical Differences

If you put the most value on the mechanicals, and since you plan to use your own wheels anyway, be aware that the Base and Sport have exactly the same drivetrain in the manual transmission version. The only suspension difference I am aware of (somebody may know more though) is the Sport adds a rear sway bar. The Sport rides stiffer, but unless there's some other suspension difference, it's due to the sway bar and the tires only. I've read that you can add a rear sway bar to the Base.

But, the Sport does have a chrome exhaust pipe tip!

Old 08-20-2009, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by polaski
I imagine the first thing you'll be looking at is cruise control. Only the Sport models have it from the factory. Same with foglamps.
in canada the LX has cruise as well.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
i dont know about the GE8 but there is not RSB on the GD3

Old 08-20-2009, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry, in my previous post I should have specified that my knowledge only extends to '09 Fit.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
If you really want the Fit I would go with a Sport - alot more bang for the buck - Fog lights, secrurity alarms, keyless entry, body kit, bigger wheels,more speakers, MP3 hook up, cruise control. It is a fun little car to own and still proves itself everyday when you need to haul more than a normal car could hold.

Congrads for staying in the Honda family

Cat :x

Old 08-20-2009, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
In reference to the Canadian GD3 (07-08) DX, LX, and Sport models. For the DX, it has just the basics; a 2 speaker audio system, no cruise, A/C, fogs, power locks or mirrors, alarm, lip kit or spoiler. The next step up is the LX, it has everything the DX is missing except for the alarm, lip kit, and fogs, but swaps the 2 speaker for a 160 watt 4-speaker system. The Sport model features everything that was missing in the lower models but instead having of a 160 watt 4-speaker system, it has 200 watt 6-speaker system with an auxiliry jack, 15 inch Alloys, and steering mounted paddle shifters on the automatics.

Honda Canada

^ Link that allows you to build '07 CDM Fits.

canada.com Autos/Cars - New/Used Car Classifieds and Review

^ Link with the comparison to the '08 CDM Fits.

The CDM GE8s (09+) pretty much has the same line up as the GD3s except they all have auxiliry jacks and the addition to the DX-A which has AC. Both DX models are almost the same as the GD3 counterpart except they have power mirrors added for this year/gen. The LX for the GE8 is similarly equipped like the sport, but doesn't have an alarm, 16 inch alloys (15s instead), or Sport bumpers and side skirts. The Sport still has fogs and alarm and the same 200 watt 6-speaker system, but for this year/gen a USB port has been added and there isn't a lip kit, it is now a different bumper.

canada.com Autos/Cars - New/Used Car Classifieds and Review

^ Link with the comparison to the '09 CDM Fits.

Now with all of that said, I'd recommend either a GD3 LX, GE8 LX, or GD3 Sport. The LXs as mentioned do not have a lip kit, but for the GD3 Sport the lip kit is removable and you can have fog lights added to both LXs if you want them along with alarms.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
First off you should decide which model you like, GD or GE. Than the transmission. As mentioned above, the MT has no difference in the base or sport. I have a 08 base MT. I liked the clean base look more than the sport, and I figured i'd be throwing aftermarket lip kit and spoiler if I ever decided to anyways. My commute to work is only 15-20 minutes every morning and 5 minutes from school. So I don't listen to my mp3 player very much anymore, i hate turning it on everytime i get into the car for a 15-20 minute drive. I can only listen to 3 songs by the time I get to work. LOL. And cruise control is not an issue to me either. I never used it even when i had my last car that had cruise control. So think about whether the options in the sports package are right/practical for you. Besides, the sports stereo system add like an extra 50lbs i beleive. LOL. Good luck! =]

Old 08-23-2009, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the reply's everyone, it was very informative and helpful. After doing more reading on here and talking to someone on my local car forum, i think i've decided to go for an 08 Sport MT, hopefully in blue , if not, black.
I'm thinking it'll be late winter/early spring when we get one...wife is still on maternity leave until December so we'll wait until she's back to work for a few months.

Until then, i'll still be lurking and checking out people's rides/and mods.

Thanks, Troy.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
Slow but sure

One more thing, Man.

Fits are not fast cars. If you haven't driven one, I highly recommend that you have a test drive before you make up your mind.
Now, I am very happy with my '07 Fit Sport. It is great fun to drive, it handles like a razor, it looks good, it'll haul a world of cargo, and it has Honda reliability. But it ain't fast.

I'm just sayin.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Yeah, i'm not looking for a fast car, just a versatile/reliable/fun daily driven car. I still have my 99 SiR that i plan on putting some goodies to it( b20vtec,or supercharger/etc?) and have it back on the road in a year or so.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:47 PM
LOOKS: Yeah the GEs look pretty funky. I have an 07 Fit Sport and I couldn't be happier. The fit's body style took a huge leap from the GD to the GE.... The Element is just terrible as far as looks, however the Element's Green is pretty wicked- kinda wish that colour was available for the fit. Of course just my .02 cents.

STORAGE: As for the room/storage space in the fit, i know that the Element has a slightly larger rear space after the rear seats are folded and set against the sidewalls. I forget which thread the pic is in, but the extra space in the Element is noticable, but overall isn't a huge difference (maybe a few square feet). However, if you have something very long to throw into the fit, you can put the backseats down, lower the front passenger seat back till its flat, and your set. The Element doesn't have that feature with the passenger seat.

HANDLING: The Element has an inline 4 just like the fit, however, pushes out approx. 60 more horsepower than the 07' fit, and approx 50 more horsepower then the newer fit model. The fit turns on a dime. Period. It's handling is honestly track competent right out of the dealership. Because of the Element's huge boxy style and being approx. 1000 lbs. heavier than the fit, i'm pretty confident to say (without having driven one) that their turning/handling capabilities are sketchy and that of a truck's.

CONVENIENCE: The fit is small (but surprisingly roomy on the inside) and can parallel park in those impossible spots you're looking for around the city's bar scene strip. My 07 fit is ipod capable via an audio cable (which runs about $10) plugged into the audio jack under the main console and into the ipod's headphone jack. I think the new fits have some extra ipod and HD radio features, but don't quote me on that- you'd have to ask one of the GE 09 owners about that. Regardless, little features like that aren't any reasons to spend more on a vehicle that doesn't well, "fit" you.

OVERALL: The fit sport looks nice, has a "i look fun to drive" appearence, is gas friendly, easy to fix and upgrade, and has more airbags and safety features than you can shake a stick at. You mentioned you wanted something fun to drive... Well if you like camping or hiking with your family, more than you like to cruise around town and head to city events, then i would take into consideration the Element's 4WD function. However, the fit is very fun to drive on the streets and highway. If you're by yourself (as to avoid scaring your wife lol), hitting highway on and off ramps are exhilarating- thanks to the fit's lightweight body and low, sleek design.

I hope this helps!

Old 08-23-2009, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by 99CivicSiR
Thanks for the reply's everyone, it was very informative and helpful. After doing more reading on here and talking to someone on my local car forum, i think i've decided to go for an 08 Sport MT, hopefully in blue , if not, black.
I'm thinking it'll be late winter/early spring when we get one...wife is still on maternity leave until December so we'll wait until she's back to work for a few months.

Until then, i'll still be lurking and checking out people's rides/and mods.

Thanks, Troy.
I would suggest that you test drive both '08 and '09 before going with the '08 MT. I like my '08 better than the '09 due to it has the feature that I like and found it very useful... "Refresh Mode". Just be sure to bring a pillow so it is comfortble and get the sport. Extra cash for the sport is worth it.

Quick Reply: Fit freaks..need some suggestions plz