General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Bad Cash for Clunkers Paperwork

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 09:43 PM
well, good info, but nothing new.

car dealers are dishonest, ignorant, and stupid. i think we all know that.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
I got my Fit Sport 2 weeks ago through C4C, and the dealership called me 2 days ago asking for a copy of my vehicle registration. They said the claim was denied because there was a lapse in registration from 8/08 to 9/08. I don't remember exactly when or if my registration went out, but it could of. I thought since I've owned the car for 4 1/2 years, and that registration is always tagged as the same month (always August for me) no matter when you pay it (even late) that I woulnd't have a problem with C4C.

But, evidently there is a bit of a problem The dealership already killed my trade in, and I also signed the paper saying I was bound for the $4500 if the dealership didn't get their money. What happens now?

I'm not sure what to do. I think if the C4C funding lasts until September, the dealership and I will be okay, bc my registration was renewed in 09/08 according to the gov website. Is this right?

Any advice, comments are appreciated.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:46 AM
hmmm....i'd start by contacting TxDOT, and getting confirmation that your vehicle was registered for 12 months consecutively. If you did pay it late and it lapse, i'd then call the cars people and explain the situation to them. Since you've owned it for 4.5 years, they might be able to work with you.

Start there, and fight the dealer with what you get through TxDOT and USDOT. Remember, its a car dealer. THey only have their best interests in mind, regardless of whether or not its the truth.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:22 AM
your car WAS registered for the period in which you owned it. When you pay for your "registration" you're simply paying an excise tax and not actually paying to register your car, as it is continually registered for the period in which you own it.

hope this helps. might still want to get a copy or something certified from your DMV stating the car was registered. I bet they didn't even try to run the paperwork b/c it would have gone through (as i was in your shoes and had no issues)

Old 08-15-2009, 02:54 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, I originally thought I wouldn't have any problems with it, bc like you said, it's just a tax and the registration remains constant... but they called me and said it was denied because of the lapse. The dealership hasn't called me back since, so I don't know if it truly is an issue or not, but I'll probably calll TXDOT and the CARS infoline tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:59 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by smaglik
well, good info, but nothing new.

car dealers are dishonest, ignorant, and stupid. i think we all know that.
Not all of them, obviously. There seems to be quite a few that know how to run the program, fill out the paperwork, and can deliver a car without contingency forms.

It would be nice to have more the the experiences documented in that one thread I started specifically for the time spent at the dealer.

During the whole process there have been revisions and confusion and people not even knowing how to find out if their car qualifies.

Yes, it's true, there are a lot of people that don't use the Internet, don't use computers much at all, and web addresses are akin to hieroglyphics. Telling them to check cars.gov for information doesn't help.

There are so many ways that the program could have been improved. The dealership is really stuck in the middle. One thing the dealerships could have done is to hire several people, part-timers, who did one thing only...provide a "check-in" point for all customers on the program.

Sort of pre-screen, by using the fuel economy site. Those workers would need to know how the fuel economy site works, and a bit about cars (not much is needed to know, really).

Also having an info table with the requirements, and forms that will need to be filled out during the process. All the government forms that concern the consumer.

The forms can't be filled out with certain info, like the registration or the insurance or the title. It would help a lot if the sales staff knew exactly what they were dealing with.

Sales staff can still work with anyone, whether they are doing the CARS program or not. But the consumer would be educated at the check-in point, on what they will need as far as the paperwork. Because no matter what, that paperwork will be required to process the CARS deal.

Anyway, some dealers have a handle on the situation, and some consumers have done their homework and gone in totally prepared. When both parties are prepared, the sale runs like clockwork, and there generally aren't any weird contingency forms.

Here's the entire post from Watsoff:
------
The least exciting experience i've had with a dealer. They took the keys to my van, verified the VIN#, and I haven't heard a word about it since...didn't give a rat's ass that I had gutted the interior. Easy $4500.

It helped to do a little homework, and know what they needed....proof of insurance for a year, reg papers for this year and last, and of course the title.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...tml#post718411
------

Prepared dealers + prepared customers = success

Old 08-15-2009, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
Not all of them, obviously. There seems to be quite a few that know how to run the program, fill out the paperwork, and can deliver a car without contingency forms.
That is true, but what is more telling is the number of dealers that cant figure it out. Its common sense to read the directions and regulations prior to participating in the program, whether you are a dealer or a buyer. However, in our society, common sense is a superpower, as so few people posess it. Why should car dealers be any different?

To me, what it boils down to is that car dealers make their bottom line by getting a buyer to pay as much as possible for a product, regardless if it is a good product they are selling (gets worse in the used market), or if the person can even afford it. We all have a bullshit detector, and in some it is more attune than others (obviously someone has sent money to the nigerian princes, or they would stop sending the emails!). If you don't walk into a dealer with your detector on high, you are ripe to be picked.

But, in the end, it boils down to the point that in general, people are stupid. In this case, buyers and dealers. When neither knows the program, you get this kind of crap.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:36 PM
I signed paperwork saying that my cash for cluckers paperwork (insurance cards, registration papers, etc) was true and honest.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by COTU
I signed paperwork saying that my cash for cluckers paperwork (insurance cards, registration papers, etc) was true and honest.
That's good. That IS one of the forms.

Are you enjoying your new car?

Old 08-17-2009, 07:44 AM
Yes, but I just had a cat run out in front of me on the way home. Put a little hump in the lower front "chin" and wrinkled the paint a little. Day 17, oh well.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:51 AM
hmmm...

I just read a post earlier that said clunker purchasers should be able to take delivery of a new car if it is on the lot, and should not have to wait for govt approval (for the dealership). I finished the final clunker paperwork on Tuesday August 4th, but still am not allowed to take delivery of my Fit until the dealership has received confirmation/approval of my clunker stuff. The Fit I purchased IS in stock at their other lot. Should I press the dealership? Anyone still waiting for their new car even though its in stock?

Old 08-17-2009, 08:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by smaglik
...However, in our society, common sense is a superpower, as so few people posess it. Why should car dealers be any different...?

But, in the end, it boils down to the point that in general, people are stupid....
This was reinforced in spades in a Jay Leno ad I saw on TV yesterday:

Leno: Who lives in the Vatican City?
Clueless: I don't know
Leno: Hint -- he wears a big hat.
Clueless: Abraham Lincoln?

Old 08-17-2009, 09:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jamesco411
I just read a post earlier that said clunker purchasers should be able to take delivery of a new car if it is on the lot, and should not have to wait for govt approval (for the dealership). I finished the final clunker paperwork on Tuesday August 4th, but still am not allowed to take delivery of my Fit until the dealership has received confirmation/approval of my clunker stuff. The Fit I purchased IS in stock at their other lot. Should I press the dealership? Anyone still waiting for their new car even though its in stock?
You should absolutely have possession of that car. If you have provided them with all the info and your trade-in, you should be driving your car. The dealer should not be submitting any paperwork unless you HAVE the your new car!

It's on the CARS.gov site, the official government site for the CARS program aka "Cash for Clunkers".
CARS.gov - Car Allowance Rebate System - Home - Formerly Referred to as “Cash for Clunkers”

It's on Page 2.

In part, this is what the site says:
IF THE DEALER HAS THE NEW CAR IN STOCK, THE DEALER MUST ALLOW YOU TO TAKE POSSESSION OF THE NEW CAR BEFORE THE DEALER MAY SUBMIT THE CREDIT APPLICATION TO THE GOVERNMENT. PLEASE REPORT ANY DEALER TO NHTSA THAT DOES NOT ALLOW YOU TO TAKE POSSESSION OF A NEW CAR PURCHASED UNDER THE CARS PROGRAM. PLEASE CALL THE CARS HOTLINE AT (866)-CAR-7891.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:21 AM
You should absolutely have possession of that car. If you have provided them with all the info and your trade-in, you should be driving your car. The dealer should not be submitting any paperwork unless you HAVE the your new car!

It's on the CARS.gov site, the official government site for the CARS program aka "Cash for Clunkers".
CARS.gov - Car Allowance Rebate System - Home - Formerly Referred to as “Cash for Clunkers”

It's on Page 2.

In part, this is what the site says:
IF THE DEALER HAS THE NEW CAR IN STOCK, THE DEALER MUST ALLOW YOU TO TAKE POSSESSION OF THE NEW CAR BEFORE THE DEALER MAY SUBMIT THE CREDIT APPLICATION TO THE GOVERNMENT. PLEASE REPORT ANY DEALER TO NHTSA THAT DOES NOT ALLOW YOU TO TAKE POSSESSION OF A NEW CAR PURCHASED UNDER THE CARS PROGRAM. PLEASE CALL THE CARS HOTLINE AT (866)-CAR-7891.
Just called my sales person at the dealership and showed them this and they mentioned that the gov't is still changing rules left and right. She said that they have me waiting for approval and "in queue" and once they get an OK they will allow me to take delivery. I'm guessing they are bypassing this by not sending in the credit application but still waiting for approval before they do. I'm not even sure if that is possible though, so I did just call the hotline and they said they will call me back...anyone with similar experiences?

Old 08-17-2009, 11:08 AM
5 Year Member
Just called my sales person at the dealership and showed them this and they mentioned that the gov't is still changing rules left and right. She said that they have me waiting for approval and "in queue" and once they get an OK they will allow me to take delivery. I'm guessing they are bypassing this by not sending in the credit application but still waiting for approval before they do. I'm not even sure if that is possible though, so I did just call the hotline and they said they will call me back...anyone with similar experiences?
A couple people have mentioned the not getting their cars in this thread:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...iences-12.html

After that "must deliver car" message showed up on the CARS site, Tedster was able to get his car that day! Not sure if Ruffytdog got theirs.

Who is the dealership waiting for an "OK" from???

Do they have your trade-in?

Old 08-17-2009, 11:13 AM
A couple people have mentioned the not getting their cars in this thread:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...iences-12.html

After that "must deliver car" message showed up on the CARS site, Tedster was able to get his car that day! Not sure if Ruffytdog got theirs.

Who is the dealership waiting for an "OK" from???

Do they have your trade-in?

Sunnyside Honda in Clev. OHIO...No, they don't have my trade-in yet...

Old 08-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Haha...typical car dealer lingo. No real facts.

Here is how you solve this. Buy your car somewhere else. Then, stop by the dealership in your new car, and cancel your order. Optional: Bring a bag of sand for them to pound in their orifice of choice!

Old 08-17-2009, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
Sunnyside Honda in Clev. OHIO...No, they don't have my trade-in yet...
You don't have the new car, they don't have your trade-in. I'm not seeing any CARS deal there then.

What do you want, what kind of car specifically, and let's see if we can find it somewhere else at a dealer who is ready to rock and roll!

edit add-on: The dealership may have their program on hold...one of the other local dealerships in that area have stopped taking in cars for now, until they start getting in the payments for the cars they've already sold.

THAT might be the "waiting for the OK". And they obviously wouldn't be taking in cars or releasing cars in the CARS program if they are temporarily stopping the program.

You then have a couple choices, wait, or find someone who is going ahead with the deals currently. What do you want to do?

Jay Honda has their program on hold currently:
http://www.jayhonda.com/

Ganley Honda has a little bit of everything for models and transmissions:
http://www.ganleyhonda.com/new-inventory/
But I'm not seeing the CARS banner there.

Last edited by TaffetaWhite; 08-17-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:03 PM
I got a similar sheet. The dealership then wanted to keep the car until the rebate came through. I pitched a fit and got my car, but most ppl just waited like the dealer told them. Never trust car dealerships and read over every form they give you because the vast majority of them are all scamming shysters. At least they are in jersey lol

Old 08-17-2009, 12:26 PM
You don't have the new car, they don't have your trade-in. I'm not seeing any CARS deal there then.

What do you want, what kind of car specifically, and let's see if we can find it somewhere else at a dealer who is ready to rock and roll!

edit add-on: The dealership may have their program on hold...one of the other local dealerships in that area have stopped taking in cars for now, until they start getting in the payments for the cars they've already sold.

THAT might be the "waiting for the OK". And they obviously wouldn't be taking in cars or releasing cars in the CARS program if they are temporarily stopping the program.

You then have a couple choices, wait, or find someone who is going ahead with the deals currently. What do you want to do?

Yea I'm familiar with other dealerships halting the cash for clunkers program, specifically the whole Brunswick auto mile (Honda/Toyota/etc), but my dealership told me they are still going through with the program and are not dropping it and don't plan on dropping it. As for looking elsewhere, sure.. but theres a few probs with looking elsewhere. First off is I don't know if any other dealership in the area would be willing to give me it at the price I got it from (base Fit w/auto). I got $1k off of the sticker.

Secondly, the extra time with finding another Fit, going through the paperwork over again, figuring out how to transfer the CARS info to another dealer, etc. would likely set me back another week or two which is likely when I would get the Fit from Sunnyside Honda anyway. I called the CARS hotline about it and they took my name, said they would fax it to the proper department, and would give me a call back. I'm still waiting on the call back so maybe they are in the process of finding my CARS info and possibly contacting my dealership.

It should all be there in the system because my dealership said I'm "in queue" for approval and they got approval on 5 of 40-something clunkers thus far and are waiting for my specific approval. All my paperwork and financing info was finished on July 31st, and another final sheet was finished on August 4th. I'm hoping I can get it this week at the very least if that whole CARS news posting about getting it the day-of transaction is true.

Last edited by jamesco411; 08-17-2009 at 12:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Bad Cash for Clunkers Paperwork