General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Electrical DIY bits needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
Electrical DIY bits needed

I have a base model 2007 Fit with manual door mirrors. I purchased two electrical mirrors and the dash switch from a scrap yard. They refused to sell me the 3 plugs of the harness that plug into the mirrors and the switch saying that I would have to buy the entire harness at some astronomical price. I can make up connectors for the door mirrors. The problem is the dash board switch. It is a 13P Honda connector and is not available at the dealer, he wants to sell me a harness too. Can anyone identify a source for wiring bits. I need the plastic male connector and the metal blades that contact the pins in the switch. If I could find a scrap yard willing cut the the harness it would be great. I have looked all over the internet with no success.
Cheers.

Last edited by ElanS2; 08-11-2009 at 01:38 PM. Reason: forgot a word
Old 08-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
can't u just tap into the wires? if not, if you already have the female side, just use individual loose pins and stick them into the female connector, then e-tape it securely.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
if you know the pin out just use barrow or but connectors.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
Hello Ken,
Thanks for your reply.
There are no wires to tap into.
My Fit doesn't have electric mirrors so, in Honda economy, there are no wires that are not needed. There is a female plug, of the same size as the one required at the switch, taped to the main harness, not plugged into anything close by, but it has only one wire and pin installed. I am unable to identify what it could be for and the wire, red, doesn't correspond to anything that I can identify. The 13p connector to the switch requires 9 active pins and wires, none of them red. In the very least I may be able to make due with 8 more pins that I could add to the 1 present and cut the red wire, it doesn't go to anything anyway. Not knowing why the 13P connector and the red wire are present leaves me with too little confidence to simply cut the wire and reuse the connector. I don't have a source for the pins either.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
Hello Sonic and thanks for your reply,
I do know the pin-out and could build a connector if I could get the parts: the plastic body and 9 metal female pins. That is what I expected to do by buying the pieces from Honda. Unfortunately our local dealer had never had such a request and couldn't find anything in the Honda parts list, other than fully built-up harnesses. He is supposed to try with Honda Canada. I am not confident that they will wish to co-operate by making the parts available. I have obtained wires of the correct colours at a local scrap yard but am not able to find connectors as Honda seems to have changed the connector design over the last 10 years and they are much smaller now.
If nothing else works and I can find the pins somewhere I may have to cut out the existing 13P with it's single red wire and reuse it.
Cheers

Old 08-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
elan- post up in the "inside" or "lighting" forum and ask someone to postup a pinout diagram. im sure someone has an electric service manual(?).

goodluck.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
Hello Ken,
I have the manual showing the pin-out.
As I have said all I need is the connector and pins. In a pinch I could get along with just the pins and reuse the 13P which seems to be unused anyway. I am nervous as the 13P may be a diagnostic tool although I cannot understand Honda putting a single wire into a connector of 13 spaces. It could be due to the diagnostic tool that it plugs into. I have not been able to find the 13P connector with one red wire in my Honda service manual. 13P connectors are not frequent.
Cheers
Rod

Old 08-12-2009, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
Update on my situation:

The local Honda counter man looked in his box of spare electrical bits today and low and behold : pins, lots of them, of different sizes, male ,and female. No plastic housings though. Tomorrow I will check the pin size. He is waiting for a reply from Honda Canada concerning the availability of housings. Things may improve next week when the regular parts guy gets back from vacation.

There is a 13P connector, not plugged into anything, taped to the harness under the left side of the dash near the driver's door. It has one red wire, to the main harness, which is powered up when the ignition is turned on. It gets its power through fuse number 22. The local guys don't know what it is for. It is not a diagnostic plug point. As it is of the same size as the plug to the mirror switch, I may just cut the red wire, buy some pins and wire up the switch.