General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Not sure about getting a fit now

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Not sure about getting a fit now

I have a 95 civic, it's got 102HP.. and I can't stand how long it takes the car to get to 55-60mph. I don't speed around or anything but damnnnnnnn, pulling out on the HWY.. I almost take a nap while the car gets up to speed....

Now, the 09 fit has 15 more HP.. would that really even be enough for me to notice a difference?

Old 08-07-2009, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
Probably not. In sport mode (AT) if I want to actually change speed at a noticeable rate, I have to blip the paddle shifter twice and take it down to 3rd. If you want acceleration, look elsewhere.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
Take a test drive & then decide. Its not a race car but I get up to 60 on the E-Way with no problem. I can only speak for the manual GD3 Fit.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
We have an '09 Fit Sport M/T and it is pretty peppy. The manual has way different gear ratios and accelerates much better than the automatic.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Im not wanting a car that'll do 0-60 in 5 seconds or anything.. just now 12 like my car haha.

I just road up the HWY to my college and when I pulled out, onto the HWY, I put the pedal to the floor and it took about 9.5 seconds or so to get to 55...

Old 08-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Take a test drive and see for yourself. And dont even consider an automatic transmission. I believe the 0-60 time for the 5spd Fit is about 8.4 seconds.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Take a test drive and see for yourself. And dont even consider an automatic transmission. I believe the 0-60 time for the 5spd Fit is about 8.4 seconds.

I hate driving stick.. I dont know what it is about it but I've had to drive my dads old truck he used to have and HATEDDDD it. It's fun sometimes but for the most part, annoying to me.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:50 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Maybe cause it was an old truck...? The Fit has a very good gearbox and gear ratios that will make it very fun to drive. The automatic Fit is slow as balls. Just test drive a MT and see how you feel about it. Otherwise I think you may be better off in another car.

Maybe just do a engine swap on the civic?

Old 08-07-2009, 10:12 PM
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Fit...My morning commute starts right off with a steep and looooooooooong ascent to get on the freeway. This is the only on ramp I encounter where it takes a while to get up to 60+. Any other on ramp I've encountered I would be scaring the crap out of passengers. When I get on the freeway I like to "get on the freeway" This is with a Sport AT...

My neighbor came over the other night to ask about my car and the CARS/cash for clunkers and if I was happy with my Fit. I gave him a resounding "YES". He had taken one for a test ride and stated that it was pretty fast/peppy. This is from a guy who owns a '98 Corvette! I thought it was pretty funny coming from a vette owner.

No, it aint "that" fast but for a daily driver that gets great gas mileage it is fast enough. Go take one for a test drive and push it as hard as you can. Tell the salesman to shut up and put on the seat belt and push it. They really are fun cars to drive...I don't miss my MX5 convertible at all.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:34 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
Well shit you shouldn't buy the car without test driving it anyways.
Just give it a go, and see what you think from there.

Originally Posted by Malice101
Any other on ramp I've encountered I would be scaring the crap out of passengers. When I get on the freeway I like to "get on the freeway" This is with a Sport AT...
:| What kind of "passengers" are you carrying?

Old 08-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Maybe cause it was an old truck...? The Fit has a very good gearbox and gear ratios that will make it very fun to drive. The automatic Fit is slow as balls. Just test drive a MT and see how you feel about it. Otherwise I think you may be better off in another car.

Maybe just do a engine swap on the civic?
Slow as balls? Red line is redline no matter how you get there (for the most part). Have any comparisons to back up the "slow as balls" claim? For the average Joe who doesn't feel comfortable with a manual the Sport AT is more than adequate...

Old 08-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Can't stand slow 0 - 60 times, but you're considering a Fit? You may as well go shopping for a thousand dollar hooker in Tijuana...

Old 08-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
Originally Posted by Malice101
Slow as balls? Red line is redline no matter how you get there (for the most part). Have any comparisons to back up the "slow as balls" claim? For the average Joe who doesn't feel comfortable with a manual the Sport AT is more than adequate...
The 0-60 times will tell you.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by Kyle is raaddd
The 0-60 times will tell you.
Provide some links...please. If you got em' post em'...

Old 08-08-2009, 12:04 AM
There is an AMAZING invention that will answer your questions about satisfactory acceleration vectors. It is called "test drive".
Consult your doctor before taking test drive.
Test drive may result in an unsafe drop in blood pressure and/or liver damage.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
If you want a fast car don't buy the Fit.
If you drive a stick, don't forget you're still in a Fit. It's always gonna be slow as balls, deal with it.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member
Our old 95 MPV (2.9L engine) and the new 09 Fit Sport (1.5L engine) have, on paper at consumer reports, very similar 0-60 times.

The fit feels much faster. Like, it actually pulls enough partial-g's that I feel myself being pushed back into the seat. I don't tend to drive either vehicle hard (particularly the fit; still in our break-in miles), but I'm pretty sure we improved our 0-60 time. This is probably more a reflection on the age of the MPV than anything else.

Btw: you might have a turbo button (in either car). It is probably labeled "A/C". With the electric based compressor on the fit I'm not as sure about that vs my folks's Geo Prism. But I suspect it is still true. Power used is power used, the car shouldn't really be drawing that heavy for that long on the battery if I'm trying to get up to highway speed.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:38 AM
Beitzel15, I just got my fit less than two weeks ago and I was considering getting the A/T so that the girlfriend could use it. I'm a M/T guy myself, my previous car was a 97 N/A M/T Eclipse.

So I test drove both base model fits and the difference is night and day between the auto and manual. The auto felt like it had the acceleration of a mini van and putting the pedal to the floor just made it make more noise. The manual is far funner to drive and has the sporty feel that keeps me happy. So the girlfriend is just going to have to learn how to drive a M/T.

The eclipse had more hp but weighed more than the fit and the fit feels like it has the same general acceleration.

But like everyone else has said, test drive the thing! don't be shy with dealers, they want you to buy the car so they'll put you in the drivers seat. I've gone and test drove new cars just for the hell of it.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:53 AM
If there is a difference between the 5 speed and the AT it is going to be very small, hardly very noticeable in acceleration and barely measurable unless you do it in a controlled environment. If you don't feel comfortable with a manual test drive the AT and you will see that although there is only a small difference in HP from your civic that there is plenty of power to get you on the Highway. I too was worried about this but now that I'm past the break-in period I hit the on-ramps at a proper speed, and more often than not I find myself cruisin' at 80mph without even realizing it.

Yes the fit is not a hot-rod but only having to push so little weight that 1.5 is gonna do it more than adequately.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:42 AM
"I hate driving stick.. I dont know what it is about it but I've had to drive my dads old truck he used to have and HATEDDDD it"

The honda sticks are incredibly easy to drive, the easiest manufactured, Great to learn on! You won't find it anything like the old truck, or even anything like a vehicle from the 70's or '80's.

Quick Reply: Not sure about getting a fit now